HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:25 PM

^ Yeah, I think it could be a small convenience-type grocer rather than a big supermarket.

That said, if they did somehow entice a major supermarket to set up there, the market wouldn't just be the residents of that development, it would also be the huge population of students and employees who are on campus every day. I work at the U of M and I would absolutely do all my grocery shopping there before heading home. More convenient than my current routine of hopping off the bus along Pembina.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:52 PM
keep the good times going

I work at the U of M and just finished studying there. I think a small grocer would do well there. It wouldn't just be students living on or near campus that would be using it, but people who commute to and from campus would use it out of convenience. Considering the rapid transit will run next to this development it wouldn't be hard to imagine people commuting home from U of M to pick up a few things before getting on the bus, I know I would have!

Also, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a chain. A lot of the businesses on campus that are not controlled by Aramark are run by UMSU (Students Union) Degrees (restaurant), Hub (Bar). IQ's (pool/coffee shop), GPAS's (convenience store). It wouldn't be too hard to imagine them opening a small grocer or at least reworking GPA's into a bigger store with more options.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I don't know what the critical population needed for a laege grocery chain store to be profitable, but there's almost always a decent sized grocer in smaller towns with 3000-5000 people.

If the U of M is already looking at 2000 units and this development is going up to 10k units, plus residence students, it could be enough people to convince a big name supermarket. Maybe coop might want a presence there.
It isn't so much what size population do you need to support a large grocery store it is a more a double hit: those stores are starting to die out in general and the U of M campus is already a very short distance from most of the players. It is similar to asking how large a population base is needed to support an added Best Buy location while ignoring there is one already just off campus.

That said Co-op is definitely one I forgot to account for. There is no location close to the U of M campus and the recent announcement and start of construction on the new Seasons location proves they are willing to open new locations.

The other one I forgot to account for is an Asian grocery store like Lucky's or Seafood City. Yes, they don't have the depth of packaged dry goods of other grocery stores but they have some and they have all the fresh segments well covered. In normal times U of M has a sizable Asian student population. Also southwest Winnipeg currently lacks as an Asian focused store of the scale of Lucky's or Seafood City and they wider area has a sizable Asian population.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 8:04 PM
surely you agree with me

I looked into this....that news item was not an announcement of anything new.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It isn't so much what size population do you need to support a large grocery store it is a more a double hit: those stores are starting to die out in general and the U of M campus is already a very short distance from most of the players. It is similar to asking how large a population base is needed to support an added Best Buy location while ignoring there is one already just off campus.

That said Co-op is definitely one I forgot to account for. There is no location close to the U of M campus and the recent announcement and start of construction on the new Seasons location proves they are willing to open new locations.

The other one I forgot to account for is an Asian grocery store like Lucky's or Seafood City. Yes, they don't have the depth of packaged dry goods of other grocery stores but they have some and they have all the fresh segments well covered. In normal times U of M has a sizable Asian student population. Also southwest Winnipeg currently lacks as an Asian focused store of the scale of Lucky's or Seafood City and they wider area has a sizable Asian population.
Co-op is opening a new store in St. Norbert very soon. It's not even a 10 minute drive away. Lots grocery store along Pembina Highway. Let's throw in Shopper's, Giant Tiger, Dollar Tree, Dollarama.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 3:43 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Co-op is opening a new store in St. Norbert very soon. It's not even a 10 minute drive away. Lots grocery store along Pembina Highway. Let's throw in Shopper's, Giant Tiger, Dollar Tree, Dollarama.
Completely agree. I'm just wondering if there will be a market for an additional grocer like the developers are touting.

I think there is potential. All the current grocery stores are surviving with the current population. Save On is entering the area but there has been some densification just north on Pembina and they will also serve Bishop Grandin Crossings (sugar beet land infill).

I know that the Safeway by Giant Tiger is pretty quiet but that could be a result of proximity to superstore and the financial demographics of the area.

It might not be a national chain or a large footprint store but I think a scaled down grocer could work.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 9:39 PM
keep the good times going

This is U of M related but not related to the Southwood lands.

It seems as though the University is finally going through with the rest of the Tache Hall Arts Complex.

Renders for the Desualts Concert Hall and more regarding it have become available:

(sorry for the small pictures, they are bigger on the website below)

UM Website
Renders

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 1:42 AM

^ That's awesome. It always felt like a concert hall was one of those things missing from the U of M's checklist of good things to have. That will be a great thing for the Faculty of Music and I'm sure it will be useful to the broader university community too.

I remember from my University of Alberta days walking by the Timms Centre for the Arts regularly when it was still fairly new. It's a different type of venue but I wondered why the U of M didn't have something like that...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:37 AM

As a current student in the University this seems like a great implementation for the whole student body. I’m not sure how often I’ll actually get to spectate because Architecture school is an absolute bitch and a half but I digress.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That's awesome. It always felt like a concert hall was one of those things missing from the U of M's checklist of good things to have. That will be a great thing for the Faculty of Music and I'm sure it will be useful to the broader university community too.

I remember from my University of Alberta days walking by the Timms Centre for the Arts regularly when it was still fairly new. It's a different type of venue but I wondered why the U of M didn't have something like that...

They didn't have enough Timmbits to pay for it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:18 PM

For those not in the know, the U of M has long, as in well before the 90s, had a small theater for music performance. It was fairly dated feeling even back then but it definitely exists. It likely wasn't used for much outside of the School of Music programs though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 8:37 PM

^ Yeah, I was thinking the U of M could use something a bit bigger and capable of holding performances like Eckhardt-Grammate Hall at U of W. I never went to the one at U of M but I got the impression that it was mainly for school related use and not so much for other events.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:02 PM

I was a student at the faculty of music. The existing recital hall, Eva Clare Hall was decent for small performances, but I think the largest group I ever saw fit on stage was about 15 people. Almost all of the faculty events were held off campus, either at Jubliee Place or different churches. The new hall will be such a welcome change. I remember going to an event talking about the new music facilities more than 10 years ago. It's been a long time coming.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:09 PM

https://imgur.com/a/xN8mgnb

Looks like piles have been placed for the Tache Arts Complex.

In other news I saw that land has been levelled for Southwood with an increase in materials at the site. It is currently allowing bikers through there. It seems that construction might be imminent. What a long time coming!

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 7:46 PM

Update on the concert hall construction. It's starting to look like something!

https://flic.kr/p/2ni7nev

Last edited by Moony; May 2, 2022 at 7:54 PM. Reason: picture not showing

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 9:46 PM

Very nice!

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 2:48 AM

Janice Lukes on status of Southwood: “Awaiting final approval around June and then construction will start whenever they want”.

Not sure if to be optimistic or not with that tweet lol.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Janice Lukes on status of Southwood: “Awaiting final approval around June and then construction will start whenever they want”.

Not sure if to be optimistic or not with that tweet lol.
translation: summer 2030 construction will begin

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:37 PM

What beautiful zoning. This might be the best rezoning I've ever seen from a project in Winnipeg. 10,000 Units within 45.3 hectares = 220 units/hectare or 22,000 units/sq km which means the population density itself could range anywhere from 40,000-50,000 people/sq km. That's double the population density of Mumbai...

BRING ON THE DENSITY!!!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:44 PM

The potential density is enticing but that street layout is pure 1980s Linden Woods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan