HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
Has an exoskeleton look which is cool. Also its nice that the shorter tower steps outwards that's not seen a lot in taller buildings
Also call me crazy but to me they kinda look like a beach grass or reeds or something along the lines of that

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:41 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Also call me crazy but to me they kinda look like a beach grass or reeds or something along the lines of that
I'm seeing a corn cob in the middle of getting de-kerneled, or a lightsaber hilt + part of the blade. Or a progressively stretched net, obviously.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 7:02 AM
TL;DR

Wow, pretty neat. This is a lot of building for a relatively small site, although the PD already authorizes an FAR of 32, which is absolutely insane.

I love that swoop of glass along Lake Shore Drive on the top of the podium. Very dynamic. Maybe a running track there, or a fancy restaurant...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Not a concept piece, that project is under construction already
Nice. The rendering looked a bit crude and because I rarely follow NY developments I thought it was a concept. Back to the topic at hand, this will be a true stunner for Chicago I just hope that it is real and that it does not get the VE hammer at all.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Dec 24, 2017 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 7:31 PM

I think the towers look great. I'm not sure about the height, smaller towers looks 900-1000 ft maybe just reaching the supertall mark. I'm kinda bummed about the taller tower, this is a great site for the next leading tower in the western hemisphere. In the rendering it looks like 1400-1500. I was hoping for 1650+ to have something Chicago has not had. Also does anyone know if this Architect is affiliated with Related in any form. Overall this needs to get built, maybe just a tad bit of a height increase even though we don't know the official height yet.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
I think the towers look great. I'm not sure about the height, smaller towers looks 900-1000 ft maybe just reaching the supertall mark. I'm kinda bummed about the taller tower, this is a great site for the next leading tower in the western hemisphere. In the rendering it looks like 1400-1500. I was hoping for 1650+ to have something Chicago has not had. Also does anyone know if this Architect is affiliated with Related in any form. Overall this needs to get built, maybe just a tad bit of a height increase even though we don't know the official height yet.
520 w 28th street in NYC is the only other project Hadid has designed for Related that I could find
https://www.520w28.com/

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
520 w 28th street in NYC is the only other project Hadid has designed for Related that I could find
https://www.520w28.com/
Hopefully this is the second project for Hadid

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Judging by the cars/highway my guess would be ~800' for the smaller tower and ~1300 for the higher one.

I'd still be satisfied if that were the case though, considering my hopes were never that high for this site. I'm pretty sure this is just a concept and not an actual proposal though so I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited.
its been drawn out for so long anything is exciting at this point lol

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Judging by the cars/highway my guess would be ~800' for the smaller tower and ~1300 for the higher one.

I'd still be satisfied if that were the case though, considering my hopes were never that high for this site. I'm pretty sure this is just a concept and not an actual proposal though so I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited.
I don't know why but my hopes are really high for this site, would be really disappointed if we see anything below 1500ft for the taller tower. This is Chicago's only shot at reclaiming the tallest building in the country (anytime soon)

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 1:47 AM

I’m alright with a less-than-tallest tower as long as it’s architecturally significant. Whether this is the actual plan or merely a proposal following Related’s guidelines, it looks like we’re not getting something that tall.

Unfortunately, that means we’re not likely to surpass the Sears anytime soon; apart from this parcel, the next-best opportunity is probably whatever replaces the Thompson Center.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:

I counted around 90 floors for the smaller tower and around 120 to 130 for the taller one under the "exoskeleton". I'd guess 900 to 1050 feet for the smaller and probably 1400+ feet for the taller one. I'll count again later.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 2:25 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
I don't know why but my hopes are really high for this site, would be really disappointed if we see anything below 1500ft for the taller tower. This is Chicago's only shot at reclaiming the tallest building in the country (anytime soon)
I want a 2,000 footer to set the new limit for the Western part of the world and get people prepared for even taller. I don't want to settle for a shorter tower. This building could set the tone for the Western hemisphere.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 2:57 AM

I assume this means at the least that Zaha Hadid Architects participated in a design competition for the site.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 3:10 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I assume this means at the least that Zaha Hadid Architects participated in a design competition for the site.
Yeah, that seems to be a reasonable assumption at this point.

Whether or not it won said design competition is an entirely different ball of of wax, though this can give us some potential hints about the scale of the development that related might be envisioning for the site, and in that particular regard it's quite promising.

And it could all be a whole big box of nothing, too.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 3:54 AM
Small but Mighty

Related has not responded to a series of tweets I sent them asking about specific parts of the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I want a 2,000 footer to set the new limit for the Western part of the world and get people prepared for even taller. I don't want to settle for a shorter tower. This building could set the tone for the Western hemisphere.
Totally agree this site needs to motivate developers to build tall, not just in the western hemisphere but in the entire U.S.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
LOL.

I'll take practically anything over that hole in the ground

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:19 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
LOL.

I'll take practically anything over that hole in the ground
It's been a hole in the ground for years. We can wait a few years more if it means the new tallest in the USA... come on, where's that fighting spirit?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Related has not responded to a series of tweets I sent them asking about specific parts of the rendering.
...it is Christmas...

-Hunter S. Thompson (click for full quote)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 3:29 AM

Quote:
It's been a hole in the ground for years. We can wait a few years more if it means the new tallest in the USA... come on, where's that fighting spirit?
I certainly love your optimism.

To be honest, though, I've never understood the attraction of 400 N LSD as the site for a supertall.

People tend to buy a condo in a supertall at least in part for the views, and the view at night from upper floors at 400 N LSD would be pretty much pitch dark facing from 0 degrees north through 180 degrees south.

The upper floors of a supertall at the Thompson Center site, on the other hand, would offer great views in any direction both day and night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction