HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:54 AM

But the real question is who would take the bus when they already own a car? Even if I owned a car I would still use the bus as much as possible to save on gas. But I would still take my car to the mall.

I understand that you are trying to advocate how realistic the bus could be when doing casual shopping, as I personally take the bus to the mall currently. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a pain in the but to wait fifteen minutes for the bus to arrive, whilst holding your bags etc. etc.

I personally don't really find that to be an issue, but when compared to the amount of time driving a car to your back door would take. It is a no brainer.

That being said. I won't own a car, and will be using the bus for general transportation when I move to Winnipeg. However, if I am going to the suburbs or to a mall, I will ride with someone from my family or borrow a vehicle.

I will be living downtown, and will be using downtown malls as much as possible anyways. But it is obvious that they don't offer the amenities that Polo Park etc. provide. And waiting/walking for the bus to go to the mall doesn't seem worth it, which even confuses myself because I would take the bus to a football/hockey game, or a movie.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:52 PM

Cadillac Fairview announced an interesting redevelopment of Richmond Centre mall in suburban Vancouver.

They're going to be burying the parking lots surrounding the mall and building a forest of midrise residential towers with outdoor shopping at the base. It's an impressive project.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cf-ri...velopment-plan

Obviously Winnipeg can't support something on that scale, but I always thought it would be cool if the southern portion of Polo Park's parking lot, basically the part between the south end of the mall and Portage Avenue were redeveloped in that way, with a couple of residential towers and maybe some commercial space at the bottom.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:08 PM
Back from the dead

Winnipeg could definitely support something that size. It would take longer to fill and would therefore be phased on a longer timescale but it could definitely be done in the Peg.

As for parking at PP...well, obviously they'd simply build an elevated parking deck. They may even add a level to the existing parkade if that can be done. There's no sense in putting it underground considering the expense of doing so and especially in Winnipeg. Mb. Hydro only has one level of underground parking downtown so that tells you something about the cost.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:30 PM

Agreed, that would be great for Polo. But I don't think towers can be built at Polo Park because of the proximity to the airport. Seems to me this has been discussed in the past when there was a plan to develop mixed use on the old Stadium site.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:35 PM

But there's like a 16 storey apartment across st james.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:15 PM

Yep, but that was built several decades ago. Also Kiltartan Towers and those highrises along Rte 90 near Ness. The Airport Vicinity Development Plan was brought in since then, and it seems to be largely to protect the airport from any new residential development that might generate complaints and threaten it's viability as a 24 hour operation. I'm pretty sure this is why the dream of mixed use near Polo Park has died.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 9:45 PM

But that's basically any development. I knew full well when I moved in to my apt in St. James 10 years ago it was below the flight path. You get used to it pretty quick.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:24 PM

^ I'm not sure what the height limits are there but presumably you can go at least a few storeys off the ground?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm not sure what the height limits are there but presumably you can go at least a few storeys off the ground?
At the time that housing was proposed as part of the stadium TIF lands, I recall reading that no new residential was permitted within the airport vicinity (including all of Polo Park) with the exception of replacing an existing house and that type of thing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:08 AM

^ The limit extends all the way to Portage? That seems excessive....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:55 AM

See the map at this link. I believe the green shaded area is all within the protected area.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=278407

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:14 AM

^ Thanks. That strikes me as a bit much, especially considering that there are already numerous midrises in that zone, not to mention the fact that aircraft have become much quieter over the last 30 years. Surely Portage doesn't need to be blocked from Omand's Creek almost right up to Moray.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:09 AM
surely you agree with me

I think there is not just a height restriction but a ban on new residential development in that zone.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:18 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Cadillac Fairview announced an interesting redevelopment of Richmond Centre mall in suburban Vancouver.

They're going to be burying the parking lots surrounding the mall and building a forest of midrise residential towers with outdoor shopping at the base. It's an impressive project.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cf-ri...velopment-plan

Obviously Winnipeg can't support something on that scale, but I always thought it would be cool if the southern portion of Polo Park's parking lot, basically the part between the south end of the mall and Portage Avenue were redeveloped in that way, with a couple of residential towers and maybe some commercial space at the bottom.
Now if only someone can take that idea and do the same with all the open parking lots downtown...

I mean, there's some already in the last several years. It's not a matter of applying it further.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I think there is not just a height restriction but a ban on new residential development in that zone.
Really?! That strikes me as absurd. Portage Ave should definitely be excluded from that restricted area... I'm surprised WAA got away with convincing the City to do that.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:03 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Really?! That strikes me as absurd. Portage Ave should definitely be excluded from that restricted area... I'm surprised WAA got away with convincing the City to do that.
If the city managed to run a rapid transit line down Portage the polo park site would become a massive TOD opportunity
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:53 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
... not to mention the fact that aircraft have become much quieter over the last 30 years.
And they are going to get a lot quieter.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:02 AM

I strongly suspect that if CF ever unveiled renderings of a row of midrises for the Polo Park parking lot along Portage potentially generating millions each year in property tax revenues, that council would quietly trim the protected zone to exclude the outer fringes along Portage.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I strongly suspect that if CF ever unveiled renderings of a row of midrises for the Polo Park parking lot along Portage potentially generating millions each year in property tax revenues, that council would quietly trim the protected zone to exclude the outer fringes along Portage.
If I am not mistaken that move would also have to be approved by the WAA, Nav Canada and Transport Canada as they also have an interest in airport noise issues

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If I am not mistaken that move would also have to be approved by the WAA, Nav Canada and Transport Canada as they also have an interest in airport noise issues
Maybe the feds would have the ability to chime in, but WAA only runs the airport... I'd be pretty surprised if they had any jurisdiction over what happens off their grounds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan