HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
I am no expert but I keep wondering if we could put a cover over the line in exposed areas. I feel like that would solve at least 50% of the issues, certainly most of the weather related issues.

I have no idea about cost and feasibility. I also think it may not look all that great but I keep thinking it would resolve freezing rain, snow and even a lightning issue which have really impacted the system.

The track to the maintenance yard by Belfast has a cover over sections of the partially buried/sunken track.
Covering at least parts of it could reduce the maintenance load so staff could concentrate on the uncovered parts.

The Scott Street trench would be an easy one. Add some parkland on top while you're at it for the thousands of new residents who will be moving in over the next 10 years.

There's an opportunity to cover parts of the line at LeBreton with redevelopment.

Luckily, Stage 2 West has a significant underground/covered portions.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's an opportunity to cover parts of the line at LeBreton with redevelopment.
Agreed. The new library should extend the courtyard over the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The snow has started to fly again, and just like clockwork... we have another dead train .

https://twitter.com/OCTranspoLive/st...36899850379266

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:19 PM

Unbelievable... Seems like every week we have stopped or broken trains, closed parts of the line, R1 replacement busses. I've lost almost all hope in the system as it is (and I don't even take it today), can't imagine the people who live nearby and actually depend on it to get around.

*Before you come for me for not using it, I currently live in the west end and work in the south/east. I do plan on using the LRT quite regularly once the west extension opens and I am walking distance to it (although this also keeps getting regularly pushed out)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Unbelievable... Seems like every week we have stopped or broken trains, closed parts of the line, R1 replacement busses. I've lost almost all hope in the system as it is (and I don't even take it today), can't imagine the people who live nearby and actually depend on it to get around.

*Before you come for me for not using it, I currently live in the west end and work in the south/east. I do plan on using the LRT quite regularly once the west extension opens and I am walking distance to it (although this also keeps getting regularly pushed out)
Nobody should come for you. I live meters from a stop and don't use it because you know I have a job so why would I take transit in this city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Nobody should come for you. I live meters from a stop and don't use it because you know I have a job so why would I take transit in this city.
Haha! And I get criticized when I complain because the closest stop is 10km away.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Feb 3, 2023 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OC Transpo goes into cold weather mode as temperature plummets
Trains could run slower if the mercury drops below -35 C

CBC News
Posted: Feb 03, 2023 2:21 PM EST | Last Updated: 43 minutes ago

OC Transpo is now operating under its protocols for extreme cold weather, according to a memo to council from the city's general manager of transit services.

In the memo, Renée Amilcar outlines the changes to procedure that have been made because of the frigid temperatures that have hit the city.

Amilcar said OC Transpo is working with Rideau Transit Maintenance (RTM) to prepare and monitor the city's light rail network.

RTM will be ensuring that platforms and station entrances are salted, while having extra staff on standby and additional vehicles ready for use.

It will also enhance its inspection of the track and overhead catenary system, Amilcar said, while heating vehicles overnight and testing switch heaters.

"Passengers may see or experience trains operating at reduced speeds during certain periods of the day if our team needs to undertake enhanced cold weather inspections," Amilcar's memo said.

"Trains will operate at lower speeds when the temperature drops below -35 degrees."

OC Transpo is also implementing similar protocols for its fleet of diesel, electric and Para Transpo buses, Amilcar said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ther-1.6736356

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 3:57 AM

In Calgary when it is less than -30 they have crews at every switch to manually flip switches, make sure heaters don’t go out/supplement. Any train that is stored outdoors is moved at least once an hour.

Hopefully the procedures work!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 4:00 AM
ハルウララ

Waited at St-Laurent for maybe 20-25 mins a few days ago because a train died at Station uOttawa uOttawa Station. These things happen - subway breakdowns and stoppages in other cities are commonplace - but when it's your only line and happens at the drop of a hat it can be exceptionally tedious.

It's an aside but it's an embarrassment that many of the stations are outdoors and uncovered, especially given the weather we've had this week. Hurdman is especially bad as a major transfer, IMO. Inexcusable for seats on the platform to be covered in snow, snow piles pushed up to the walls, snow coming into the car as the doors sit open during too-long dwell times. A complete miss.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Waited at St-Laurent for maybe 20-25 mins a few days ago because a train died at Station uOttawa uOttawa Station. These things happen - subway breakdowns and stoppages in other cities are commonplace - but when it's your only line and happens at the drop of a hat it can be exceptionally tedious.

It's an aside but it's an embarrassment that many of the stations are outdoors and uncovered, especially given the weather we've had this week. Hurdman is especially bad as a major transfer, IMO. Inexcusable for seats on the platform to be covered in snow, snow piles pushed up to the walls, snow coming into the car as the doors sit open during too-long dwell times. A complete miss.
Just wait until the western extension is completed. There doesn’t appear to be much room for snow accumulating in the outdoor stations in the trench at Sherbourne or New Orchard nor does RTG have any equipment to blow the snow from the bottom of the trench to the surface.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
"Hurdman is especially bad as a major transfer, ..."
And so long for me to walk (outside) from the train to Hurdman D bus stop.
Unbelievable! (who design this? who accepted such design?)

Last edited by eltodesukane; Feb 4, 2023 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Haha! And I get criticized when I complain because the closest stop is 10km away.
And people come at me for living close to where I work instead of living near downtown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 6:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Train operators will respond 'immediately' if riders hit emergency button, OC Transpo vows
Passenger told CBC in December he heard a dial tone trying to report assault

Laura Glowacki · CBC News
Posted: Feb 04, 2023 4:00 AM EST | Last Updated: 9 hours ago

Two months after an LRT passenger reported getting a dial tone while reporting an assault on a train, OC Transpo says operators will now respond "immediately" when someone calls for help.

On Dec. 8, 2022, a rider was heading west on the Confederation Line between uOttawa and Rideau stations when he was attacked by another passenger, according to a witness who spoke with CBC at the time.

Jonathan Loan told CBC he tried to get help while the attack unfolded by pressing the train's emergency button, but all he heard was a dial tone.

The man was punched and kicked and later required stitches. Police later confirmed they'd laid criminal charges against one person.

Passengers were able to get the man away from the attacker, Loan said, and brought him to the Rideau Centre where he received first aid.

After the attack, Rideau-Rockcliffe Coun. Rawlson King submitted several questions to OC Transpo general manager Renée Amilcar about the emergency button and the protocols around its use.

"We want to ensure that it's not just theatre, security theatre," said King on Friday.

"When you press the button, we want to ensure that the technology works: that there's a rapid response and that it sets off a chain of emergency response procedures."

According to a reply from the transit services department attached to the transit commission meeting agenda for Feb. 9, procedures on board trains have been updated since the attack.

Operators must now "immediately answer" all calls made through the emergency intercom, the response said. If the situation is dangerous, however, passengers "may be asked to stand by briefly until the operator can safely [offer] support."

According to the response, OC Transpo records show it took 30 seconds from the time the emergency button was pressed for the train operator to speak to the caller.

That's roughly the same amount of time Loan said it took for the entire attack to take place.

When a passenger presses the emergency button, the on-board train operator is also responsible for contacting the transit operations control centre, which can dispatch help like special constables, OC Transpo said.

The emergency intercom buttons are tested daily. Customers can also report emergencies at stations using the emergency telephones, OC Transpo said, which provide a direct line with special constables.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...vows-1.6736153

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
And so long for me to walk from the train to Hurdman D bus stop.
Non transit users who make a lot more money than they should have.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 6:23 PM
ハルウララ

It's not even that it's a long walk from the LRT platform to the bus platform - the problem is that it's all exposed to the elements. Long walks are pretty common for most metro systems but Ottawa's is especially bad because it's outdoors. Again, embarrassing that users have to stand under scaffolding to avoid rain/snow/wind to wait for buses.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's not even that it's a long walk from the LRT platform to the bus platform - the problem is that it's all exposed to the elements. Long walks are pretty common for most metro systems but Ottawa's is especially bad because it's outdoors. Again, embarrassing that users have to stand under scaffolding to avoid rain/snow/wind to wait for buses.
February should be National Take the Transit month. All politicians should be forced for that month to take transit. Of course, there would have to be the various photo ops to make the news.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 7:38 PM

Quote:
It is so obvious that tons of money was spent on Hurdman Station, yet we end up with something that is poorly designed for the user. How could we build access to the trains that is not fully protected from the elements? We go up the stairs and at the top of the stairs, we have to walk through an uncovered area. Even the stairs are exposed on the sides to rain and snow. The sad thing is that there is no hope for improving the design, except those 'temporary' scaffolds. At least a little acknowledgement of how badly this was all set up.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

LRT settlement gives builders millions in back pay, keeps their contract
Settlement also closes door on Ottawa leaving the 30-year maintenance contract

Joanne Chianello · CBC News
Posted: Feb 06, 2023 4:00 AM EST | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

The City of Ottawa is retroactively paying the consortium that built the Confederation Line millions of dollars for maintaining the LRT network as far back as the start of service in 2019, CBC has learned.

The money is part of a settlement package between the city and Rideau Transit Group (RTG) that puts to rest a number of disputes, including disagreements over maintenance payments.

It could be a turning point in the often-fractious relationship, as it makes good on a key recommendation in the light rail public inquiry report which urged the two parties to repair their partnership.

However, most of the details of the settlement remain secret.

On a number of occasions over the troubled life of the east-west light rail line, city leaders — including former mayor Jim Watson and former transit boss John Manconi — told the public the city was not paying RTG for maintenance due to poor service.

Now, according to CBC sources familiar with the deal, the city has agreed to pay a portion of the $65 million withheld from RTG's maintenance arm from September 2019 to the end of 2022.

The consortium — comprised of SNC Lavalin, ACS Infrastructure and Ellis Don — has also made concessions in the settlement package, CBC has learned, including promising to hire about a dozen more people by spring to provide more service to the city.

A key part of the deal is that it puts to rest the issue of default, a legal term indicating the group of companies wasn't living up to its contract with the city.

Ottawa served RTG with two separate notices of default: one in March 2020 due to a litany of problems that arose after the Confederation Line's launch and one in the fall of 2021 connected to derailments.

The city escalated the notice over the derailments to court in December 2021, asking a judge to confirm the default — an official step needed in the process for breaking the 30-year maintenance contract.

That's all over now.

In a densely worded legal statement the two sides released 10 days ago, RTG acknowledged it had not lived up to the contract, ending the need to keep arguing the point in court. The statement also said the settlement "resolves" the city's notices of default against RTG.

That means even though RTG finally agreed it breached the contract after years of legal fighting, the city has in turn also agreed to no longer consider RTG in default, thus closing the door on getting out of the $1-billion maintenance contract.

Instead, according to last month's statement, the city has accepted RTG's "rigorous plan to address the issues that led to the derailments" and is committed to the "sustainable resolution of these issues" on the light rail vehicles before the Confederation Line's eastern extension opens in early 2025.

However, there is currently no plan for a long-term fix of the Confederation Line. As well, 18 months after a light rail vehicle derailed at Tunney's Pasture station when a wheel broke off the axle, RTG still has not produced a report on the possible root cause.

According to an email to CBC from OC Transpo head Renée Amilcar, the city and RTG have been working together on a plan for months and that "work is still underway. "

That plan will be presented to a new light rail sub-committee "when practicable," wrote Amilcar. There is no date scheduled for its first meeting.

On Jan. 25, the relatively new city council got a private five-hour update on the legal dispute.

When council members emerged, they unanimously approved a motion directing staff to finalize a settlement with RTG, one that was "not to be reported out publicly" as it concerned litigation and was covered by "solicitor-client and settlement privilege."

Two days later, the city and RTG finalized their deal and released their joint statement.

Asked for comment last Friday, Mayor Mark Sutcliffe's office sent a statement Sunday evening, confirming that a "limited portion" of the $65 million held back in maintenance fees will be paid to RTG.

The statement reiterates that the terms of the deal are confidential and that no members of council "can speak about its components, including the financial terms."

"However, it's important to remember that the mayor and councillors are elected to protect the interests of the City of Ottawa," the statement said. "And after a careful examination of the terms, the settlement was approved unanimously by council."

The settlement, however, does not include the ongoing litigation between the city and RTG over costs related to the Rideau Street sinkhole in 2016.

CBC asked on Jan. 12 what RTG and its maintenance arm had been paid from the beginning of the LRT handover back in August 2019.

The city refused to say.

On Jan. 18, an email attributed to Troy Charter, OC Transpo's director of transit service, stated that invoices for maintenance from September 2019 to March 2020 were "under review" and that the city had made service payments for the months spanning April 2020 to August 2022.

The invoices for the rest of 2022 were still being finalized, according to the email.

When CBC specified again that it wanted the actual amounts RTG had already been paid for maintenance to date — not including any that arose from a possible future settlement — the city declined to respond.

City officials have also refused to say if they've changed how they're measuring the Confederation Line's performance as part of the settlement agreement.

RTG receives about $4 to $5 million a month in maintenance fees from the city, subject to deductions related to how well the LRT ran that month. RTG is also assigned "failure points" for everything from trains not being available to system failures such as the derailments.

It is not clear whether the city has changed any of the metrics it previously used to grade RTG's maintenance performance.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ails-1.6736380

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
And so long for me to walk (outside) from the train to Hurdman D bus stop.
Below is a post from the Canadian transit thread. New bus terminal in Halifax. See how there's an enclosed, heated waiting area and the bus stops are around it. This is what Hurdman, Blair, Tunney's should have been, along with Lower-Bayview. This is what Stage 2 Lincoln Fields should be.

At least Place d'Orelans has a fully enclosed waiting area, though not heated, thanks to at least some reasonable planning in the 8-s and 90s. Algonquin also seems promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Bridge terminal, set into the hill:

(from Google Maps)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 8:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation