HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Should be bulldozed and and build something there right up to the sidewalk. Bad spot for a park.
I know many air canada employees terrified of working there. Just a drug deal nest should not be a park at all.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I know many air canada employees terrified of working there. Just a drug deal nest should not be a park at all.
The big chain link fence around the Air Canada Building with security guard standing out front is, to my eyes, one of the most prominent symbols of downtown Winnipeg's pandemic decline

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 12:16 PM

Small stain

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 12:20 PM

Winnipeg Jets owner True North considering purchase of Portage Place mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
This may be the last Hail Mary for this site, hopefully it works out!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
This may be the last Hail Mary for this site, hopefully it works out!
My prediction of them being the only ones with the money and only party left that has a vested interest in this seems to be coming true.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:

This is great news~

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Best news I've read today. I sincerely hope it goes forward.

The article mentions the need for the standard "due diligence" and community consultations. I don't really know what exactly is involved in the former (state of developer's finances?) but the latter has already been done as far as I know I don't think community needs have changed much since the Starlight proposal, have they?

Chipman seems to be the type of rare businessperson this city needs; someone who can create profitable enterprises while keeping the needs of the city and it's people top-of-mind. I don't doubt any plans of his would include housing and care options for vulnerable people/ low income people.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

true north is at 20 years in wpg they have built up a manopoly we need to think hard if they buy this mall from the city their none compete for the bombers needs to be droped

theres allot at steak with tns they have done allot of good but at same time theirs a culture in the back end that festers thats not healthy for wpg and a big round table needs to happen

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The big chain link fence around the Air Canada Building with security guard standing out front is, to my eyes, one of the most prominent symbols of downtown Winnipeg's pandemic decline

Imagine paying $320 million for police who can't bother to do the bare minimum maintaining order and enforcing laws 3 blocks away from their new $210 million headquarters. Imagine if that money went to something useful instead of getting sucked up by a bunch of guys who won't just do their jobs. God forbid they get up from their desks or stop shining up the tank long enough to take a walk around the damn block.

WPS is, to my eyes, one of the most prominent symbols of government waste and incompetence.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
true north is at 20 years in wpg they have built up a manopoly we need to think hard if they buy this mall from the city their none compete for the bombers needs to be droped

theres allot at steak with tns they have done allot of good but at same time theirs a culture in the back end that festers thats not healthy for wpg and a big round table needs to happen
Whats the alternative? there is literally no one else lining up to revitalize the place so I think we go with True North beggars can't be choosers.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:25 PM
There is always a way

I hope they have a solid plan and that the deal gets done. Given the decline of downtown though, I'm remaining cautious about the outlook that this may provide. There are a number of factors that have to change to right the ship. The social issue is probably the single most important one, but also creating a true, dense, lived-in neighbourhood would be a big one as well (which is in itself somewhat of a social issue). So really there are two issues: Infrastructure/ built form and safety/social/residents.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I hope they have a solid plan and that the deal gets done. Given the decline of downtown though, I'm remaining cautious about the outlook that this may provide. There are a number of factors that have to change to right the ship. The social issue is probably the single most important one, but also creating a true, dense, lived-in neighbourhood would be a big one as well (which is in itself somewhat of a social issue). So really there are two issues: Infrastructure/ built form and safety/social/residents.
The downtown is not in decline. In fact, there is a lot more activity now than there was 20 years ago. In fact, downtown has gained population in the past decade.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...g-b001-eng.htm

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
For clarity the non-compete you reference between True North and the Bombers isn't directly with the Bombers but rather the three levels of Government. The deal in question prevents the government from providing funding to any facility with a roof on it that would compete with Canada Life Centre for hosting non-sports events. This means the purposed facility for the Ice would also likely be covered by this non-compete clause and unable to secure any funding from any level of government without specific approval by True North.

The due diligence on the reported sale of Portage Place to True North is essentially a conditional sale. Once approved True North would have access to any confidential information on the property and they would have some reassurance that if they spent money having plans for a renovation similar to what Starlight had done they are, at the time, the sole party that could proceed with a purchase.

It is also far more likely that True North would walk away from a Portage Place deal than give up their existing non-compete clause. They really have nothing to gain by owning Portage Place v letting it turn into an even bigger challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Imagine paying $320 million for police who can't bother to do the bare minimum maintaining order and enforcing laws 3 blocks away from their new $210 million headquarters.
That the WPS union is repeatedly pushing for a secure parking area for members near the hq downtown is way beyond tone deaf in my eyes. The very core purpose of a police force is to maintain public safety for all the citizens. If WPS members are finding the area around their hq to have a significant public safety issue they really should be looking inward on how they can address that issue so the area becomes safe for all citizens, not just those privileged enough to have access to a special secured zone.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:23 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardth View Post
imagine paying $320 million for police who can't bother to do the bare minimum maintaining order and enforcing laws 3 blocks away from their new $210 million headquarters. Imagine if that money went to something useful instead of getting sucked up by a bunch of guys who won't just do their jobs. God forbid they get up from their desks or stop shining up the tank long enough to take a walk around the damn block.

Wps is, to my eyes, one of the most prominent symbols of government waste and incompetence.
preach!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Imagine paying $320 million for police who can't bother to do the bare minimum maintaining order and enforcing laws 3 blocks away from their new $210 million headquarters. Imagine if that money went to something useful instead of getting sucked up by a bunch of guys who won't just do their jobs. God forbid they get up from their desks or stop shining up the tank long enough to take a walk around the damn block.

WPS is, to my eyes, one of the most prominent symbols of government waste and incompetence.
Portage Place thread, not a WPS bashing thread pal. Maintain order? having a bunch of homeless people outside AC offices panhandling and dealing small amounts of drugs is horrible but you know damn well if Cops rolled in there and hauled them all away there will be nothing but bleeding heart protests and they'd all be back. The fence area was to keep them away from AC employees as theyr return to office instead of WFH.

every City / municipality in the country is struggling with Police force budgets, it's not a WPS thing. personally I'd rather pay the cops well instead of using low paid cops like in the States or more rent-a cop minimum wage security guards

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
but you know damn well if Cops rolled in there and hauled them all away there will be nothing but bleeding heart protests and they'd all be back.
That would require the WPS to actually attempt to do something about the problem, so likely not a scenario we are going to see played out.

Boots on the ground would certainly help (i.e. beat cops) but WPS seems content to put the responsibility for messy jobs it doesn't want to deal with on to the blue berries (i.e. cadets).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That would require the WPS to actually attempt to do something about the problem, so likely not a scenario we are going to see played out.

Boots on the ground would certainly help (i.e. beat cops) but WPS seems content to put the responsibility for messy jobs it doesn't want to deal with on to the blue berries (i.e. cadets).
why is it a WPS problem? i thought Social Workers and Crisis Health workers are the one that need to solve the problem? what does arresting someone for loitering do

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:

A lot of truth to your post!

And to Wags in his rebuttal of your post!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:32 PM

TN’s plans include a significant investment to redevelop Portage Place Mall into a vibrant mixed use building. TN is a well-known Winnipeg-based developer and owner of mixed use real estate and sports and entertainment assets in Winnipeg with relationships throughout Canada.
The Option would give TN a one-year period to complete its due diligence so that it may develop an appropriate and engaging urban redevelopment plan for Portage Place and the surrounding neighbourhood. Portage Place has been a largely vacant asset in a state of decline for many years. It is understood and supported by all parties that a dynamic and purposeful redevelopment plan is a necessary and significant step forward for the community surrounding Portage Place Mall and the urban health of downtown Winnipeg.
TN intends to pursue a redevelopment plan for Portage Place that will resonate with and benefit the City of Winnipeg, the downtown community and the Province as a whole. Within that plan, it is expected that there will be a significant opportunity to advance the critical needs of urban improvement in the downtown. TN, together with its partners and consultants will pursue this redevelopment planning process throughout 2023.
Both the Government of Canada and the Province of Manitoba have provided their approval for the Term Sheet. The Public Service recommends that the Council also approve the Term Sheet.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...8&isMobile=yes

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:39 PM
surely you agree with me

was wondering when that would come out....phenomenal news

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan