HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
From what i've read there has been no substantive action among Canadian cities along the lines suggested in the article I linked to. Police budgets have increased, but otherwise it seems to be business as usual.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/one-ye...clipId%3D89926
With the recent murder of Tyre Nichols in the US, there will be renewed calls for defunding the police everywhere. We need to becareful though and not over react here to things that happen elsewhere.

I have to say though I saw the Tyre video last night and that was the most brutal police video I have seen come out of the US. I have seen disturbing videos where it's one cop but this was several of them going crazy.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 5:39 PM

I know Winnipeg gets a bad rap for crime (which is reasonable) but man seeing cities like Memphis, St. Louis, or Baltimore makes me realize it could still get so much worse here if our current trend of increased crime continues.

Idk what the solution is, but having homeless encampments next to bus shelters while there is a security guard right next to them doesn’t sit right with me. I was at Portage/Colony around 10 pm the other day and while it felt surprisingly safer then expected there was that feeling on uneasiness lingering in the back of my mind. It almost seems like the city goes out of its way to make the homeless population visible.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
With the recent murder of Tyre Nichols in the US, there will be renewed calls for defunding the police everywhere. We need to becareful though and not over react here to things that happen elsewhere.

I have to say though I saw the Tyre video last night and that was the most brutal police video I have seen come out of the US. I have seen disturbing videos where it's one cop but this was several of them going crazy.
You have never seen the Daniel Shaver shooting of 2016?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
You have never seen the Daniel Shaver shooting of 2016?
Nope, this was the first time.....and that was pretty f'd up! SMFH

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I’d love to see a Quebec City / Hamilton / Winnipeg comparative study. It’d be fascinating. My prediction is that QC and Hamilton have the benefit of being located in a really prosperous and populated region of the country.
This has not helped Hamilton much for the last 50 years. Quebec really has no large cities to benefit from within a 100 km radius.

Quote:
Further, they don’t have the demographic struggles that the prairie cities have. When I’m out east, the vulnerable people tend to be fairly reflective of the cities’ demographics. They tend to be people who fell through the systems’ cracks and/or are unable to afford housing. In Winnipeg, indigenous people make up a disproportionate amount of our vulnerable population. Not only do lots of indigenous people fall through the systems cracks, but historically the system was also stacked against them in the form of reserves, residential schools and racism. I think we have a more complicated problem to deal with that goes beyond building more affordable housing.
Edmonton, Saskatoon, and Regina have all had the same demographic struggles, and have been three of the fastest growing metro areas in the past 15 years. Having a large concentration of Indigenous people has not deterred people from migrating to these cities, Winnipeg included.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Nope, this was the first time.....and that was pretty f'd up! SMFH
What is even worse, is the Police Officer got off, was reinstated, and retired a day later with a full pension. If the victim had been Black, this would ahve made International news.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 3:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
What is even worse, is the Police Officer got off, was reinstated, and retired a day later with a full pension. If the victim had been Black, this would ahve made International news.
What was the situation that led to the cops being there anyways out of curiosity? That was tactical gear he had.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
I only found the homicide rate for 1995 in terms of Quebec City. It was among the lowest in Canada. Can you prove the Quebec and Winnipeg homicide rates were "around the same" during the late 90s? Quebec City and Winnipeg have never been close in terms of murder rates (at least in the past 50 years).

BTW, Winnipeg averaged roughly 22 homicides a year from 1995-99, not 10-20.

Unsure of why Winnipeg's annual homicide rate has gone up substantially beginning in 2019. The homicide rate from 2009-18 was averaging 27.4 murders annually.
I'm not trying to argue semantics of what is considered around the same or why you consider 1995 as the late 90's. Besides the point I'm making.

Quebec City CMA averaged 11.5 murders from 1997 to 2000.Winnipeg average 17.75 in that same period. Quebec had 15 murders in 1998 and Winnipeg had 15 in 1999. That's what I consider similar.

The point I'm making is they are relatively similar sized cities have seen opposite trends of murder rates since that period.

'81 to 2000, Winnipeg averaged 19.2 murders, Quebec City 11.3

2001 to 2021 Winnipeg 28.2, Quebec 4.6.

Source is Stats can Table 35-10-0071-01

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm not trying to argue semantics of what is considered around the same or why you consider 1995 as the late 90's. Besides the point I'm making.

Quebec City CMA averaged 11.5 murders from 1997 to 2000.Winnipeg average 17.75 in that same period. Quebec had 15 murders in 1998 and Winnipeg had 15 in 1999. That's what I consider similar.
Here is what I found. As you can clearly see by the chart, with the exception of 1985, which seems to be an outlier, Quebec City has never come close to Winnipeg, in terms of homicides. In the 90s, Winnipeg seemed to average 3.0 homicides/100,000, with a high of 4.1 in 1996, to a low of 2.0 in 1992. For Quebec City, homicides averages roughly 1.5/100,000 people, with a high of 2.2 in 1990, to a low of 0.6 in 1995.

The only two years Quebec City has came within 1.0/100,000 homicides, is 1998-99, which seems disingenuous, when we compare the past 40 years, where it's clear the homicide rate in Winnipeg usually doubles, or even triples the homicide rate for Quebec City.

1996:

Most Canadian provinces and territories reported an increase in homicides, most notably Manitoba, Quebec, and Saskatchewan. The only homicide decreases were reported in Alberta, New Brunswick, and Yukon. In general, homicide rates increased from east to west. Manitoba had the highest provincial homicide rate in 1996, followed by British Columbia and Saskatchewan. Lowest provincial homicide rates were in Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland. Among the nine largest metropolitan areas, Winnipeg reported the highest homicide rate, followed by Vancouver, Calgary, and Hamilton

source: https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-li...de-canada-1996

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jan 30, 2023 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:02 PM

I feel from 30+ years of working downtown that 99% of the homeless people are harmless. They aren't out to harm you, they just need shelter to sleep in. They are broken people who just need a lucky break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I know Winnipeg gets a bad rap for crime (which is reasonable) but man seeing cities like Memphis, St. Louis, or Baltimore makes me realize it could still get so much worse here if our current trend of increased crime continues.

Idk what the solution is, but having homeless encampments next to bus shelters while there is a security guard right next to them doesn’t sit right with me. I was at Portage/Colony around 10 pm the other day and while it felt surprisingly safer then expected there was that feeling on uneasiness lingering in the back of my mind. It almost seems like the city goes out of its way to make the homeless population visible.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:22 PM

Just for a little comparative context, US cities with homicide rates between 3 and 4 per 100k include Portland, Oregon and Madison, WI.

The Minneapolis rate is like 22 per 100k.

Winnipeg's terrible... for Canada.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I feel from 30+ years of working downtown that 99% of the homeless people are harmless. They aren't out to harm you, they just need shelter to sleep in. They are broken people who just need a lucky break.
You mean 99% of homeless were harmless up until the past 4-5 years! It's totally different now then it was, blame meth and the other street drugs for that!

Nothing to do with getting a lucky break but I will admit most of them do have mental health issues!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I was wrong about Quebec City having the same rate of homicides as Winnipeg in the 90s. Forgive me.
No need to apologise. You were wrong. We all have to be wrong at some point of life

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
You mean 99% of homeless were harmless up until the past 4-5 years! It's totally different now then it was, blame meth and the other street drugs for that!
I certainly miss the days when the homeless were addicted to crack cocaine, and not meth. Simpler times.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Just for a little comparative context, US cities with homicide rates between 3 and 4 per 100k include Portland, Oregon and Madison, WI.

Winnipeg's crime rate is on par with Spokane, Washington. Spokane is a similar sized city.

Spokane is considered one of the safer cities in America.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

I don't think looking at the US is helpful in anyway as many if not most of their cities are a disaster when it comes to crime and drugs. Some of their cities are more comparable to third world cities when it comes to crime. How does Winnipeg compare to cities in other developed Nations in Western and Northern Europe? How do we compare to cities in Australia and New Zealand?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think looking at the US is helpful in anyway as many if not most of their cities are a disaster when it comes to crime and drugs. Some of their cities are more comparable to third world cities when it comes to crime. How does Winnipeg compare to cities in other developed Nations in Western and Northern Europe? How do we compare to cities in Australia and New Zealand?
This is kind of unexpected considering you tend to argue with me and others who want the same kinds of social programs and public services in those exact countries, and you seem to favor the American approach of throwing a bunch of money at police and telling people to pull on their bootstraps....

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
This is kind of unexpected considering you tend to argue with me and others who want the same kinds of social programs and public services in those exact countries, and you seem to favor the American approach of throwing a bunch of money at police and telling people to pull on their bootstraps....
My point is Canada is a developed country with a high standard of living. Comparing our cities to US cities many of which have third wold crime rates, is not a good idea. They are an exception among first world, developed countries when it comes to crime. We should take no comfort in having lower homicide rates than they do. Pretty much the whole first world and even much of the developing world have lower crime rates than many American cities.

What social programs and social services don't we have? Many American cities have many social programs and social assistance and still have high crime rates.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 7:45 PM

A question for the locals as I am not from Winnipeg. Why doesn't Winnipeg have express bus service from the airport to downtown or a central transit hub?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
A question for the locals as I am not from Winnipeg. Why doesn't Winnipeg have express bus service from the airport to downtown or a central transit hub?
Because we’d rather have our airport line go through a nonsensical route on a secondary thoroughfare and terminate at a golf course in the northeast side of the city then make a viable airport express service.

On the bright side, we should have a more direct line from Airport to Downtown with the new transit plan (although I don’t understand why it’s not express or rapid transit).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan