HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mostly agree, but I really, really wish that vaccines were available for kids right now so I could totally not give a fuck and advocate "letting it rip."
Yep.

My 5 and 6 year olds (and their friends) are the only people that I regularly socialize with who haven't gotten vaxxed.

I can't wait til they get their jabs so that I can really not give a fuck about covid anymore.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yes, I agree. As I stated above, my 12 year old had his birthday 3 days ago and we got him his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday.

My other son is only 10, though, and I'm hoping vaccinations become approved for him so that we can get him innoculated.

Once that happens, screw everybody else
Yeah, my daughter gets her first jab the day after her birthday on the 23rd. But my son is 7 (about to turn 8), so he has months yet to wait.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Delta seems to be getting close to burning itself out where it first became commonplace - in Missouri and Arkansas. In both states the rate of growth began slowing over the last two weeks, and cases seem to have finally peaked. Which suggests most states will experience rapid growth for around 4-6 weeks, at which point cases will subside. Basically because it runs out of unvaccinated hosts who interact with lots of people.
This all would have burned itself out by last summer if the world hadn’t freaked out so much. Probably with the same number or fewer aggregate deaths if older people had voluntarily isolated for that much time.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep.

My 5 and 6 year olds (and their friends) are the only people that I regularly socialize with who haven't gotten vaxxed.

I can't wait til they get their jabs so that I can really not give a fuck about covid anymore.
Are you really worried about your 5 and 6 year olds getting Covid? There are a lot of things that I’d be far more worried about.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Are you really worried about your 5 and 6 year olds getting Covid?
not really.

as I discussed before with you, i'm desperate to get my kids vaxxed, and all other under-12s, so that the CTU has one less leg to stand on when they start bitching and moaning (they're already fear-mongering over delta, to absolutely no one's surprise).

i NEED my kids in school, everyday, all-day, 5 days a week.

no more remote-learning bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
William McKeon, chief executive of Houston’s Texas Medical Center, a group of 60 hospitals that comprise the world’s largest medical district, said the current surge of Covid-19 patients has risen far faster than previous ones and he believes it will get worse. The number of Covid-19 hospitalizations has increased to about 9,500 this week, approaching a previous high of about 14,000 in January. People in their 20s are on ventilators, Mr. McKeon said.

“All of [the hospitals] are saying the same thing: We have never seen a surge like this before,” he said. “We have never seen them sicker when they walk through the door. We have never seen them younger. And they just keep coming.”

Deaths, which tend to lag behind hospitalizations by a few weeks, are a fraction of those seen in January. The state logged 42 deaths July 23, the most recent data available. The highest number of deaths logged in a single day was 387 on Jan. 13.

Texas Medical Center’s hospitals are hundreds of beds into their surge capacity and, while they have additional beds, they don’t have enough nurses to support the hundreds of new Covid-19 patients being admitted each day, Mr. McKeon said. Staffing levels have dropped as some medical workers, affected by the trauma of the last year and a half, have left the field. Texas recently stopped sending state-funded support staff into hospitals in crisis, as the virus appeared to be waning. But on Monday, Mr. Abbott announced the state would begin doing so again, using out-of-state staffing services.

Houston, the country’s fourth-largest city with 2.3 million people, has developed a sophisticated system of tracking Covid-19 in the city’s sewer system, through weekly testing at 38 city wastewater plants. Tracking began during the first major surge of the virus, in July 2020. Last week, it measured 320% of the Covid-19 levels seen then—the highest, by far, since the pandemic began.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/texas-h...=WTRN#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:22 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Are you really worried about your 5 and 6 year olds getting Covid? There are a lot of things that I’d be far more worried about.
Quote:
Officials note surge in pediatric COVID-19 cases as ICU beds become limited

HOUSTON – The Texas Medical Center is reporting a rise in COVID cases with hospitalizations up over 400 percent this past month.

The TMC said they haven’t seen any type of surge since the peak of the pandemic in the summer of 2020, and many of the patients are young children who are unvaccinated.

“We have been seeing a huge number of kids coming in with Covid-19 infections and they are of all ages, from newborn to any age possible,” said Dr. Ali Naqvi a Pediatrician with UT Health.

According to reports, all five Houston Pediatric wards are full.

Earlier this week, 11-month Ava Ramirez contracted the virus and had to be airlifted to a hospital 150 miles away because there were no beds available.

Dr. Peter Hotez an expert on Contagious Diseases and Vaccine Development at Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine said he believes this most recent surge could be just the beginning.

“Our Texas Medical center is filling up and the worry of course is all of this has to be contextualized with the fact that schools haven’t even opened yet,” said Hotez.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...ecome-limited/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
This all would have burned itself out by last summer if the world hadn’t freaked out so much. Probably with the same number or fewer aggregate deaths if older people had voluntarily isolated for that much time.
That’s just stupid, cruel and ignorant like much of what you post. You simultaneously argue this but also that the virus is never going away. If both are true, it would never “burn itself out” to the point anyone unusually vulnerable, which isn’t just older people including most of the world’s political leaders, but anyone who has HIV or cancer or who is overweight etc, would have to hide forever.

Will you ever get over crying for what you think would make your own life better at the expense of anyone you need to toss overboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
These quotes and commentary are not data. They just send journos with tape recorders until they manage to get a hyperbolic quote and then print it.

The City

Quote:
not really.

as I discussed before with you, i'm desperate to get my kids vaxxed, and all other under-12s, so that the CTU has one less leg to stand on when they start bitching and moaning (they're already fear-mongering over delta, to absolutely no one's surprise).

i NEED my kids in school, everyday, all-day, 5 days a week.

no more remote-learning bullshit.
I already offered you a solution

Come on over!

You can always live there when you're an empty nester

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
That’s just stupid, cruel and ignorant like much of what you post. You simultaneously argue this but also that the virus is never going away. If both are true, it would never “burn itself out” to the point anyone unusually vulnerable, which isn’t just older people including most of the world’s political leaders, but anyone who has HIV or cancer or who is overweight etc, would have to hide forever.

Will you ever get over crying for what you think would make your own life better at the expense of anyone you need to toss overboard?
Well, “burn itself out” doesn’t mean disappear, it means herd immunity, which is what we are now reaching with vaccines (at least in the UK). Even with herd immunity there will be cases and deaths, but at a manageable level.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I already offered you a solution
You only offered a death sentence, not a solution.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Your youngest kid is what, 4?

13 years in suburban "hell"

Better than the "hell" of worrying whether your kids will have to e-learn in perpetuity

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Well, “burn itself out” doesn’t mean disappear, it means herd immunity, which is what we are now reaching with vaccines (at least in the UK). Even with herd immunity there will be cases and deaths, but at a manageable level.
With the delta variant, most scientists agree “herd immunity” cannot occur until a portion of the population much smaller than the number vulnerable to death by covid are immune. Hence vaccines are the only way to reach it without killing off millions of people.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
13 years in suburban "hell"
13 days would be beyond insufferable.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
With the delta variant, most scientists agree “herd immunity” cannot occur until a portion of the population much smaller than the number vulnerable to death by covid are immune. Hence vaccines are the only way to reach it without killing off millions of people.
How many millions?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
You are presumably aware the Biden politicians are applying thevsame pressure on the FDA to approve vaccines for 5 to 11 year olds that Trump did to get them approved before last year’s election. We’ll see if it works bettter this time.

Meanwhile, if you saw Randi Weingarden on TV last Sunday, she has evidently knuckled under to her Democratic allies and now wants kids and her union members in school and wants everybody vaccinated. So things are moving your way.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Meanwhile, if you saw Randi Weingarden on TV last Sunday, she has evidently knuckled under to her Democratic allies and now wants kids and her union members in school and wants everybody vaccinated. So things are moving your way.
well, i dearly hope that message eventually trickles down to the dipshits running the CTU, but i won't be holding my breath.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:53 PM
The City

For our school district (like pretty much all of suburban Chicagoland) there isn't even the slightest doubt about learning in schools, the only area of contention is mask versus no mask. And that issue was resolved by a Governor mandate requiring masks in school for everybody for the time being

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
well, i dearly hope that message eventually trickles down to the dipshits running the CTU, but i won't be holding my breath.
They just announced the start of the school year was delayed by two weeks here. However, this wasn't due to COVID, but because the district cannot find enough bus drivers and 6,000 students still lack transportation options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions