HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:02 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Even in Mexico, a simple rainfall can collapse the entire regionwide mobility. I've been stuck in an hours-long jam in Guadalajara for no other reason than rain.
If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happens in Atlanta.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:47 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Bogotá over Sao Paulo is also suspicious. I'm guessing it's selection of cities.
I thought I heard/read somewhere that public transit in Bogotá sucks, when compared to the other large city in Colombia, Medellín

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happens in Atlanta.
Yeah, weather affects traffic on most places, specially rainfall. I have coworkers that usually takes 1 hour, a bit more, even during the rush, but when it rains, it can go up to 3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I thought I heard/read somewhere that public transit in Bogotá sucks, when compared to the other large city in Colombia, Medellín
Bogotá is almost 10 million now and they still don't have subway. They built a very big BRT system inspired in Curitiba though.

On the other hand, there are much more cars per capita in São Paulo and in Centre-South Brazilian metropolises than most of Latin American metropolises. So I don't know, but I guess traffic in São Paulo is a bit worse.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 10:01 AM

It is believable that London would score poorly, but mostly as a result of the move to disincentivise driving with measures to restrict car movements, e.g. Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, Congestion Charge, Ultra Low Emission Zone, reduced road capacity for bus lanes, cycle lanes, pedestrianisation, removal of car parking, etc... Most of London now has a blanket 20mph speed limit which is growing year-on-year as part of a target to eliminate serious injuries and deaths from vehicle accidents.

Another consideration with this study is that for a city like London, with an extensive public transport network (as is the case in Paris and New York whom rank 3rd and 5th), vehicle congestion is less of a concern due to a lower mode share, but it would be disproportionately more problematic for cities which are more car dependent.

Image sourced from TfL: https://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-di...-limit-map.pdf

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 9:49 PM

This list is a little different:

https://inrix.com/scorecard/#city-ranking-list

It lists 8,9, and 10 as Philly, Miami, and Palermo. You can go up to number 50.

Sydney, Nice, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte and Belfast are 46-50.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jan 18, 2023 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Seems to me that this is a list of cities making the correct decisions and investing in public transportation and not adding endless highway capacity. I'll take that second place as a badge of honor.
Yeah but is Chicago really investing in public transportation? When was the last time a new line was added? I know there are other investments, like the CTA has done on mostly the northern lines, but still.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:39 PM

I believe Chicago might be skewed as a monocentric city where the majority of traffic is headed in one direction. I personally thought that traffic in the Bay area is worse, there's traffic on the freeways at all times. But i suspect the polycentric nature of the job centers, (east bay, penninsula, SF, southbay)keep these numbers from aggregating whereas Chicago you have everyone and their mom driving in the same direction two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 3:57 PM

The Kennedy in Chicago is up there as the most serially congested highways on the continent. Outside of NYC there are relatively few highways in North America that generally experience all-day congestion like the Kennedy does.

Toronto's problem is the over-reliance on the 401 through the central city. The Metro area has nearly 8 million people and basically one untolled highway running through it's central area, which places a huge strain on it's demand and makes it nearly constantly congested with legendarily bad traffic at rush hours. The rest of the GTA's highway network works pretty well overall however, and it's a great city to drive in if you have the money as the 407 Toll Road offers congestion free driving at all times of day.

The other problem in general is that Toronto hasn't spent a lot of money on infrastructure up until now for the last few decades, all the while being one of the fastest growing cities on the continent. The highway and transit network looks quite similar to how it did 30 years ago despite the city being basically twice the size. That's inevitably catching up to the city now, but infrastructure spending is going crazy right now so at least it isn't continuing.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Kennedy in Chicago is up there as the most serially congested highways on the continent. Outside of NYC there are relatively few highways in North America that generally experience all-day congestion like the Kennedy does.
and the Ike can't be too far behind the Kennedy in terms of serial congestion.

But people who routinely drive a car to get to downtown Chicago have only themselves to blame as Chicago's entire rail system, both the L and metra, is 100% focused on getting people into and out of downtown. They're are plenty of alternatives, but thousands upon thousands of people would rather sit in traffic it seems.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions