HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:08 AM

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Thnx, i needed that.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:12 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
It looks like someone dropped a cookie cutter West Loop midrise on top of venerable Union Station.
That would actually be an improvement over the proposed design.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Somewhere I have the drawings for LaGrange's tower addition. Of course, no surprise it was clad in precast and detailing wasn't nearly as refined as the rendering would lead one to believe.
Blair Kamin's column mentioned Lucien Lagrange's 2002 proposal. Was anyone able to dig up some drawings?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 3:56 AM
1st Ward

^ Was it this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That's pretty much exactly what Lucien Lagrange planned to do with Prime Group for one of the stillborn development schemes circa 2003. There's no ornament on the "tower;" it's just limestone and punched openings.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:22 AM
Urbane observer

A practical consideration the architect mentioned at tonight's meeting is the need to cantilever the residential and hotel floors out a few feet from the current office floors. The main reason is to get sufficient depth. The existing floors are only 50 feet deep, which wouldn't work very well for double-loaded corridors of apartments. By cantilevering both into the light well and on the outside walls, they get 65- or 70-foot-deep floors.

I found the reasoning for this design choice persuasive, and the results inoffensive. The architect said they'd done some studies that used stone cladding; I'd like to see those. But I'm not sure what really would work any better than this.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 4:45 AM

I hope this is an "April Fools" joke (two months late)!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:08 AM
TL;DR

Why even have apartments at all? Seems like a natural site for a large hotel instead of a small one, and with a mixed-use program they need two different cores and access. A large hotel could even market to small conventions and work out an arrangement with Amtrak so the spaces off the Great Hall could be used as meeting spaces.

This design doesn’t kill me, I love how solid it looks from an oblique angle. Seems appropriate to go on top of a clunky limestone pile like Union Station. With Goettsch, I was afraid we would get some blue glass thing that was truly a UFO. This is one place where beige is a good idea, IMO, especially if it’s a good quality precast or terra cotta. The larger rendering appears to show a Morris Adjmi-esque “flange” on each of the beige panels, so up close it will probably resemble a beige version of Landmark West Loop, using beige powder coated sheet metal (not a bad thing necessarily). The floor-to-floor heights are really squat, though... seems like they could make the proportions a little better by raising the ceiling heights.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 10:53 AM

Architectural atrocity

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Had a hunch this design would be a train wreck
Good one!!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:21 PM
The City

I don’t think it’s a crime, I think it’s a practical vertical extension. My main beef is with the materials.

The city should demand, and get in writing, that certain high quality materials will be used here, such as stone cladding. Anything less should be DOA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don’t think it’s a crime, I think it’s a practical vertical extension. My main beef is with the materials.

The city should demand, and get in writing, that certain high quality materials will be used here, such as stone cladding. Anything less should be DOA
Raise the ceiling heights (really looks too squat as proposed), use black granite and black aluminum clad, do something about the mishmash of different windows slapped on this.

Then perhaps tolerable.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:45 PM

Oh hell no!

Why are they doing anything to this gorgeous building?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:57 PM
You had me at herro...

Wow, how sad.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:09 PM

It's pretty much the Soldier Field of office buildings.... (That's not a good thing)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:13 PM

Last edited by Loopy; Jun 21, 2021 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:17 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Why are they doing anything to this gorgeous building?
Because Amtrak loses $1 billion per year. Property owners in need of money sometimes lease their excess property (or air rights).

Why apartments? Undoubtedly to spread the financial risk. There's been little new hotel lending in the last couple of years. Though—by European standards—Union Station would seem like a killer location for a hotel, it's too far from Michigan Avenue and McCormick Place, the traffic generators that really get Chicago hotels through the long winters.

From the way it was discussed last night, I got the impression that the wall system would be bronze-colored, and would match the restored windows in the older portion. I imagined something like 401 N. Michigan, but that was never said explicitly. TUP, where are you thinking there will be any stone?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Larger image-

img src - crain's
This angle makes it look like the top whatever it is actually flares out, making it even fuglier.

Dear sweet Jesus, NO. Just NO, NO, NO.

Is there any hope that the landmark status can prevent this from happening?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
A practical consideration the architect mentioned at tonight's meeting is the need to cantilever the residential and hotel floors out a few feet from the current office floors. The main reason is to get sufficient depth. The existing floors are only 50 feet deep, which wouldn't work very well for double-loaded corridors of apartments. By cantilevering both into the light well and on the outside walls, they get 65- or 70-foot-deep floors.

I found the reasoning for this design choice persuasive, and the results inoffensive. The architect said they'd done some studies that used stone cladding; I'd like to see those. But I'm not sure what really would work any better than this.
The reason for the cantilever is one thing, the final facade design of the addition doesn't have anything to do with former; it's just a lazy, graceless, distracting, and ultimately disrespectful design that negates the beauty of Union Station. Really ugly and unfortunate.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:51 PM

wow

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 2:57 PM

Freaking hideous. This should not be allowed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive