HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:38 PM

I have to admit the comments about this design surprise me. To me this building doesn't look too different from the proposal that was posted for the old St. Regis site (though not as tall). People were having fits over that one because of the plain looking lower floors. Now there's a similar building in the exchange and it's love n' kisses. Oh well, we're all allowed our own taste and opinions.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I have to admit the comments about this design surprise me. To me this building doesn't look too different from the proposal that was posted for the old St. Regis site (though not as tall). People were having fits over that one because of the plain looking lower floors. Now there's a similar building in the exchange and it's love n' kisses. Oh well, we're all allowed our own taste and opinions.
That building had a much more monolithic look. I can see what you mean in that they are not entirely dissimilar, but the scale of the Bannatyne proposal works better. If you took the Bannatyne building and made it twice as wide, and then made the upper part above the podium 25 storeys tall to be closer to the Smith proposal in scale, then we'd be saying the same thing about this one.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:53 PM

I don't think those building look the same. That things on the St Regis site looked like stucco panels or something.

The Bannatyne building doesn't look all that different than what was proposed previously. Dark brick on the podium, white panels on the tower part. I like it. The main floors windows are bland sure, will let in lots of light.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:54 PM

It’s tremendously out of scale with the existing fabric and the contrast between the cladding is grotesque but that might just be fuelled because of those questionable renders. The glass at the top provides absolutely nothing of value to the building, and the proposal would be much better off if they only kept the first 4 floors of the building.

Can they do anything about that massive surface lot across the street while they’re at it? In fact it could be as simple as copy and paste floors 5-11 (the glass is too hideous for a street with a great urban fabric like Bannatyne) across the street and stretch it to fill that whole parking lot.

That said I’m not a NIMBY and even building whatever the hell that is will be much better then keeping it as a surface parking lot.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It’s tremendously out of scale with the existing fabric and the contrast between the cladding is grotesque but that might just be fuelled because of those questionable renders. The glass at the top provides absolutely nothing of value to the building, and the proposal would be much better off if they only kept the first 4 floors of the building.
I have to disagree with you there... it is taller than its next door neighbours, but it is still very much in keeping with the scale of the neighbourhood. There are some taller warehouses that stand out in the East Exchange, and this building is pretty similar in height. It is not towering over anything. Even the original proposal with the taller height was still pretty much in line with what is normal in the East Exchange when you look at the taller buildings along Main.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:10 PM

You would not like what was proposed for across the street Basketball geek. IIRC it was that cubed unit looking thing.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have to disagree with you there... it is taller than its next door neighbours, but it is still very much in keeping with the scale of the neighbourhood. There are some taller warehouses that stand out in the East Exchange, and this building is pretty similar in height. It is not towering over anything. Even the original proposal with the taller height was still pretty much in line with what is normal in the East Exchange when you look at the taller buildings along Main.
That’s the thing though this building isn’t lined up on a wider street like Main where taller buildings are much more commonplace. This is on a section of Bannatyne that is essentially adjacent to Waterfront Drove with a much narrower street.

It was hyperbole to say it was tremendously out of scale, but the tallest buildings in this section of the Exchange are around 5 stories so it ruins that uniformity, and I hate to say this word but could lessen the “character” of the site. But since this is a national historic site after all this will be the only place in Winnipeg where I would truly reconsider a development like this purely to preserve that existing character.

With that being said I might have a disagreement with the way the building is envisioned but I have a feeling it might actually look better then the render and will be an overall positive development to further bolster the area because suffice to say a surface parking lot is a lot worse then a 12 storey mixed use building.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 5:00 PM

The building fits within the zoning requirements of the area. We talked about this at length. What's the problem in having the taller portion? We don't need to be stuck to 4 storeys because old warehouses are that height.

Having some sporadic taller buildings, limited to 100' in height per zoning, is decent and makes developing more feasible. The variance for 150' or whatever they wanted was denied. I think they're at 120' IIRC.

Or the lots can sit empty as parking lots for eternity. Which is the plan for most of said parking lot owners, as they own adjacent buildings which 'need' parking.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The building fits within the zoning requirements of the area. We talked about this at length. What's the problem in having the taller portion? We don't need to be stuck to 4 storeys because old warehouses are that height.

Having some sporadic taller buildings, limited to 100' in height per zoning, is decent and makes developing more feasible. The variance for 150' or whatever they wanted was denied. I think they're at 120' IIRC.

Or the lots can sit empty as parking lots for eternity. Which is the plan for most of said parking lot owners, as they own adjacent buildings which 'need' parking.
I want to emphasize in saying this is a net positive development for the area it just doesn’t align with my personal taste. If the developer justifies that the building should be at 120’ and doesn’t want to downsize further while the city approves who am I to say otherwise. However, just because it’s a positive doesn’t make it immune to criticism.

Speaking of surface parking lots there needs to be considerable pressure to remove that behemoth parking lot across the street from this development to complete the block. In fact a quick check on Google earth pro shows that lot is 40,000 sq ft, and if you take the adjacent lot facing McDermot there is 75,000 sq ft available. Even at a measly 4 stories you could fit 160-300 units in that space.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Can they do anything about that massive surface lot across the street while they’re at it? In fact it could be as simple as copy and paste floors 5-11 (the glass is too hideous for a street with a great urban fabric like Bannatyne) across the street and stretch it to fill that whole parking lot.

That said I’m not a NIMBY and even building whatever the hell that is will be much better then keeping it as a surface parking lot.
I totally get what you are trying to say and it is totally out of scale with the row of 4-6 story buildings along that strip. Many people on this site don't tend to put much stock in the character of the entire stock of buildings within a national historic site. There are examples of where it has been done tastefully and can be done tastefully. The problem here I see is a building that is out of scale and also looks like hell. Developers are always going to push the limit of what they can do.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Finally 323 Portage Ave is for sale - $4m.

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2008599
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Hmmmm. I thought that was still a gym. Guess not anymore.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:57 PM

Kind of disappointing that they're pitching it as a residential redevelopment. It's an old 3 storey building on the main drag downtown right across from a NHL arena... you would think the space calls for something a little bigger and denser.

5 years ago I think it would have been marketed as a tear down, but I guess the downtown market has changed significantly.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Kind of disappointing that they're pitching it as a residential redevelopment. It's an old 3 storey building on the main drag downtown right across from a NHL arena... you would think the space calls for something a little bigger and denser.

5 years ago I think it would have been marketed as a tear down, but I guess the downtown market has changed significantly.

Yeah would be better to thear it down, build something with some more height.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:08 PM

I remember that building in its past iterations.

Times Nightclub AKA Slimes based on the clientele.

Followed by Blush Nightclub. Plenty of up-and-coming artists and formerly relevant artists performed there. I remember seeing DJ Jazzy Jeff there for a friend's birthday around 2008 or so. Lady Gaga performed there as well.

Then it was 4Play Sportsbar. I can't remember how long that lasted...3 or 4 years maybe. I remember asking how much they charged for the virtual golf upstairs and I believe they said it was $100/hr! Approx. 3 times more than virtual golf at the golf dome or Virtual Golf FX. No wonder those booths were always empty.

How long was it a gym for? 5 years maybe?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Then it was 4Play Sportsbar. I can't remember how long that lasted...3 or 4 years maybe. I remember asking how much they charged for the virtual golf upstairs and I believe they said it was $100/hr! Approx. 3 times more than virtual golf at the golf dome or Virtual Golf FX. No wonder those booths were always empty.
I remember having a birthday get together there a few years back, when it was new... oh, the look on my mother in law's face when we told her to meet us at a place called "4Play"... good times...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:59 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
It is not towering over anything. Even the original proposal with the taller height was still pretty much in line with what is normal in the East Exchange when you look at the taller buildings along Main.
eight lane wide main street is not two lane wide bannatyne

I think the height precedent has been set now. I bet we see more of these.

I personally think this would be stronger without random windows and with consideration given to creating more texture at the ground floor, but it will be a nice addition to the area that could be a bit of a catalyst for that side of the exchange....hopefully it is.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:59 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

winnipeg's first curtain wall building.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I remember that building in its past iterations.

Times Nightclub AKA Slimes based on the clientele.

Followed by Blush Nightclub. Plenty of up-and-coming artists and formerly relevant artists performed there. I remember seeing DJ Jazzy Jeff there for a friend's birthday around 2008 or so. Lady Gaga performed there as well.

How long was it a gym for? 5 years maybe?
Just to clear something up for the record.
I believe it was a moderate decent apparel store in its day.

Next phase...
Dayton's for a couple of years .....then Times Night Club ...both names.. a higher end place with VIP rooms and more tony clientele.
Great stage, sound, lights. For a few years, like many places, it was one of the places to go & be seen.
Its last days I believe was no longer so great... but it was a very nice place with a varied crowd. and many dignitaries, some socialites / society people went there.
They brought great bands, had great dance music, ambiance.
I went there plenty to know that.
By its last couple of years I agree it was no longer what it was in its heydays for sure. I stopped attending by mid 90's or so.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 1:52 AM

It was also a hip-hop club in between Times and Blush... I think it was called Avenue?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan