HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if you know the reality of the situation, then why are you such an insufferable broken record about it?
Again, these forums are full of wishful thinking. I wish people in Chicago weren't so stupid as to expect a parking space or two with their (cheap) condo.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:45 AM
devout Pizzatarian

And I wish SSP forumers could stay on topic.

But it ain't gonna fucking happen.

At a certain point, you have to accept reality for what it is, make some semblance of peace with it, and move on.

- You hate parking podiums.

- You feel they are ruining chicago.

- We agree that nothing is going to be done about them until local market forces change.

All of these points are duly noted (for like the 83rd time).

Are we done?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 13, 2017 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:35 AM

So is there a plaza along State? The model shows the tower set back some from the street.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:39 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
So is there a plaza along State?
Yes, a long skinny one along the base of the tower.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:44 AM
Chicago

October 12, 2017

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:33 AM

Soil testing already. They must be serious.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, that's unexpectedly soon.

but a good sign none-the-less.

caisson rigs arrive next wednesday?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:41 PM
The City

This is one site where a larger plaza is warranted, and at least if not located on the south end, won't be framed by parking podia.

If NIMBYs weren't such insufferable ass-clowns, they would ask for a bigger plaza perhaps in exchange for an even taller and thinner building, perhaps with a smaller podium at the base. Maybe require the developer to preserve and rehab the historic buildings along Dearborn instead of demolishing them.

I'm sure we will get none of that, and instead a whole gang of idiots will show up complaining about traffic and parking. But some good negotiating could turn this into a huge boon for the area.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
^ yeah, that's unexpectedly soon.

but a good sign none-the-less.

caisson rigs arrive next wednesday?
Tribune said JDL hopes to start next fall. So maybe a year from next Wednesday would be possible

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, a long skinny one along the base of the tower.
I am glad they are giving the cathedral some breathing room. Could be a little bigger for my tastes, but still nice. I wonder if the Archdiocese put a clause in the contract for x amount of plaza across from the church?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I am glad they are giving the cathedral some breathing room. Could be a little bigger for my tastes, but still nice. I wonder if the Archdiocese put a clause in the contract for x amount of plaza across from the church?
the small plaza is roughly 175' X 50' (at its skinniest) @ the southeast corner of the block directly opposite the cathedral.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:20 PM
The City

^ Those dimensions sound nice on paper, but when you look at the rendering it's really appears quite paltry. Perhaps just the sheer size of the project dwarfs it

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:29 PM

It would be better and more open feeling if they got rid of the podium part jutting out at the northeast corner.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:35 PM

When I was in Chicago and I went to the Holy Name Cathedral, I thought that lot had potential for a supertall. Glad to see there's a plan in the works. I just hope that it works out.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is one site where a larger plaza is warranted, and at least if not located on the south end, won't be framed by parking podia.

If NIMBYs weren't such insufferable ass-clowns, they would ask for a bigger plaza perhaps in exchange for an even taller and thinner building, perhaps with a smaller podium at the base. Maybe require the developer to preserve and rehab the historic buildings along Dearborn instead of demolishing them.

I'm sure we will get none of that, and instead a whole gang of idiots will show up complaining about traffic and parking. But some good negotiating could turn this into a huge boon for the area.
So correct about the plaza/park incorporation..Hope developer has some optional designs for this...i have no problems with the towers but it could be so special this site that incorporating the park would make it an icon in the city... This type of project doesn't come around often...perhaps a mini Bryant park type setup

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 10:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
perhaps a mini Bryant park type setup
it'd have to be a super mini version, bryant park sits on a 11.6 acre block, of which the library takes up ~2.7 acres, leaving 8.9 acres of open space.

the holy name parking lot block is a total of 3.2 acres. take away 2 of those acres for buildings and that leaves you with only 1.2 acres of open space, which would be a far, FAR cry from a bryant park type of space.

for scale, 1.2 acres is much closer in size to the little parklet around the water tower (.85 acres) than it is to bryant park (8.9 acres).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:11 PM
The City

Quote:
it'd have to be a super mini version, bryant park sits on a 11.6 acre block, of which the library takes up ~2.7 acres, leaving 8.9 acres of open space.

the holy name parking lot block is a total of 3.2 acres. take away 2 of those acres for buildings and that leaves you with only 1.2 acres of open space, which would be a far, FAR cry from a bryant park type of space.

for scale, 1.2 acres is much closer in size to the little parklet around the water tower (.85 acres) than it is to bryant park (8.9 acres).
A mini-Bryant Park isn't really necessary, but something along the lines of the size of the Water Tower Place park seems right

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:32 PM

This should make quite an impact on the skyline there.... cool!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:55 PM

I can't imagine they haven't factored in a cushion so the nimby forces feel like they get a win when the building winds up being 800-feet, which is what the developer probably wants to build in the first place

that said, over 1000 would be great there. Difficult to argue it's not appropriate with a lot that size in that area

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 6:02 PM
The City

^ My theory is that the height of the second building and the very tiny amount of open space are the "cushions"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive