HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:31 PM
BANNED

^^ . Say what you will about the bad louvers, but this tower turned out absolutely fantastic, especially when viewed from directly below, as seen in Nick's first and second shots. Hell of a design.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 11:27 PM

Second to last pic Nick!

contrails, your lens or did you try to edit out window washer ropes?

Great pics by the way....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Second to last pic Nick!

contrails, your lens or did you try to edit out window washer ropes?

Those are just the ropes I didn't edit out. these were quick edits for social. Didn't realize they were so apparent until the *large* version posted to the forum. As for the puffs of smoke from the top, those are from the rooftop HVAC.

Great pics by the way....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^^ . Say what you will about the bad louvers, but this tower turned out absolutely fantastic, especially when viewed from directly below, as seen in Nick's first and second shots. Hell of a design.
Once the windows are cleaned and it's sparking, it'll be quite a stunner from up close! Similar to Aqua, this one may be more interesting when examined from up close, than simply appreciating its form/height from afar. unlike Aqua however, at least this one has a unique form from a distance...even if the louvers detract a bit.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
See to me this reads as:
Say what you will about the thing that makes this building deeply flawed in a way that's obvious to any and all people, but this tower turned out absolutely fantastic!

Utter nonsense.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:21 AM

This building needs a solve. The future has to have something for this building. Our city's front yard is blighted. The idea of forever having a blighted front yard is deeply depressing. I wish this building never got off the ground almost as much as I wish covid never happened.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post
See to me this reads as:
Say what you will about the thing that makes this building deeply flawed in a way that's obvious to any and all people, but this tower turned out absolutely fantastic!

Utter nonsense.
Hmmmmm - none of the people I know who see the building on a regular basis - some who live a few doors down - have ever mentioned the louvers.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:27 AM

Say what you will about the fact that, in your opinion, a single detail of this building isn't perfect, but no one else cares.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:09 AM
Constantly Sketching

Quote:
Say what you will about the fact that, in your opinion, a single detail of this building isn't perfect, but no one else cares.
Nah man, it doesn't work like that. He gets to feel his way about it. As do you, as do I.

One day this building will fade into the built environment, (probably not in a, many-other-supertall-buildings-will-block-it-from-view kind of way, although that would rule), but people will remark on it in the way that any of us remarked on buildings that pre-exist our life times. It will simply be there, such that it's accepted, and probably even beloved. But right now, it's new, and in it's newness comes valid critique.

I also don't like the louvers. They aren't uniform or particularly well considered. They're on the side of the building, that, arguably will get the most visibility, whether that's tourist traffic, actual traffic or Bears game helicopter shots. The north and south sides also have two small louver spots that frankly will never not look like windows that need to be replaced.

Those louvers aren't in any of the renderings which suggests that either the architect didn't want to show them, or more likely, the developer cut corners somewhere and they became necessary, but either way, their existence suggests a failure in the design process at some point along the course of development.

All of the other supertalls in this city integrate their mechanical floors in ways that seem logical and unobtrusive to the building's overall effect. The north side of Regis is clearly the best, and it definitely seems like that was Gang's intent, but unfortunately buildings aren't single sided.

I'm sure one day i'll come to accept the louvers and eventually the building, but I'm not going to make excuses for something that feels like a design failure, either by architect, developer or both. If someone can find an example of a modern supertall that integrates its mechanical floors in such a incongruous way as this, I'd love to see supporting evidence.

Also, preemptively, these louvers aren't a case of form follows function. The building is sculptural in a way that suggests the opposite, which honestly is why the louvres are so upsetting.

Anyway, this my one post for the year. Here's to 100 more supertalls for Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:31 PM

Vista's own website, www.vistatowerchicago.com, seems embarrassed about the louvers. On this page viewing the building from the northeast, it shows an actual photo:

https://www.vistatowerchicago.com/ne...1-mile-radius/

But on this page viewing the building from the south, it uses renderings:

https://www.vistatowerchicago.com/ne...ty-of-chicago/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 8:35 PM

both those photos are renderings

full size

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 9:39 PM
All-American City Boy

Great post FLW, I agree.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
both those photos are renderings

full size
Wow, it looks so realistic! Anyway, the northeast view is a faithful rendering, whereas the south view is an "idealized" rendering that hides the blow-through and the louvers.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:17 PM

gianlorenzo_photography on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKK7PcVlFte/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:11 PM

Hope he/she makes good use of that view - it won't last long.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:02 PM

Beautiful (temporary) view. But it does highlight the negligible skyline effect that Cirrus and Cascade have from this vantage point. I believe they're both topped out already and if it weren't for the crane in the shot, you'd never see them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Hope he/she makes good use of that view - it won't last long.
hahah good point.

those apts are still leasing for so much. damn.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:51 AM

agreed... although lights on the buildings are still Christmas colors so thinking it was at least several weeks ago

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:53 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Agreed 100%. Blair Kamin didn't even address the mechanical floors on the south side of the building in his review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydWrong View Post
Nah man, it doesn't work like that. He gets to feel his way about it. As do you, as do I.

One day this building will fade into the built environment, (probably not in a, many-other-supertall-buildings-will-block-it-from-view kind of way, although that would rule), but people will remark on it in the way that any of us remarked on buildings that pre-exist our life times. It will simply be there, such that it's accepted, and probably even beloved. But right now, it's new, and in it's newness comes valid critique.

I also don't like the louvers. They aren't uniform or particularly well considered. They're on the side of the building, that, arguably will get the most visibility, whether that's tourist traffic, actual traffic or Bears game helicopter shots. The north and south sides also have two small louver spots that frankly will never not look like windows that need to be replaced.

Those louvers aren't in any of the renderings which suggests that either the architect didn't want to show them, or more likely, the developer cut corners somewhere and they became necessary, but either way, their existence suggests a failure in the design process at some point along the course of development.

All of the other supertalls in this city integrate their mechanical floors in ways that seem logical and unobtrusive to the building's overall effect. The north side of Regis is clearly the best, and it definitely seems like that was Gang's intent, but unfortunately buildings aren't single sided.

I'm sure one day i'll come to accept the louvers and eventually the building, but I'm not going to make excuses for something that feels like a design failure, either by architect, developer or both. If someone can find an example of a modern supertall that integrates its mechanical floors in such a incongruous way as this, I'd love to see supporting evidence.

Also, preemptively, these louvers aren't a case of form follows function. The building is sculptural in a way that suggests the opposite, which honestly is why the louvres are so upsetting.

Anyway, this my one post for the year. Here's to 100 more supertalls for Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:54 PM

01/23/21

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 12:45 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ WOW!

Nice work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture