HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Swift Current 16604 (2016)

Steinbach 15829 guessing 20K with the 2021 census
Swift Current is basically grandfathered, though... it's like Grand Forks pointing at Green Bay and saying "well, if they have a NFL team..."

If Swifty didn't already have a team there is little chance that they'd be getting one now IMO. If I lived in Steinbach I wouldn't put too much stock in their situation. Maybe some day, but I think that conversation is at least 15 years away. Like I said, unless they end up becoming the home of the Winnipeg ICE due to a failure to get a new venue built here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 5:19 PM

Open house tomorrow evening, I'll try to take some photos of the plans and post them here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 7:42 PM
Mooderator

It is weird to think that places like Winkler (with Morden) are pretty much half the size of Brandon now, and Steinbach closely behind.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:55 PM

Plans are currently at the 75% stage, I'm currently working on budget pricing for a portion of the work.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:30 PM

When is this project getting going? I was in Steinbach last week and I was a little surprised that construction hasn't begun yet.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:36 PM
What could go wrong?

The tender closes early Sep.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:59 PM

Thanks, Biff! It will be great to see it take shape... the TG Smith Centre is very small, outdated and old for a town of Steinbach's size and stature. They definitely need an upgrade.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:06 PM

Winkler morden is 25000 people and growing faster would be more logical choice for a team

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Winkler morden is 25000 people and growing faster would be more logical choice for a team
What kind of team?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
What kind of team?
Hypothetical Dub team if swift ever moved

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
33,000 in the 2021 census agglomeration

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
When is this project getting going? I was in Steinbach last week and I was a little surprised that construction hasn't begun yet.
Project to be done is 3 phases, below is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Phase 1 (22 months) includes constructing new arena and atrium
Phase 2 demolish existing centennial arena
Phase 3 construct multi purpose gymnasium/walking track

I'll try to post more information tomorrow

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Project to be done is 3 phases, below is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Phase 1 (22 months) includes constructing new arena and atrium
Phase 2 demolish existing centennial arena
Phase 3 construct multi purpose gymnasium/walking track

I'll try to post more information tomorrow
Only one sheet of ice??

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Only one sheet of ice??
I think they're keeping the TG Smith Centre (1 of 2 currently existing rinks in the complex), just downgrading it for community use. The new rink effectively replaces the Centennial Arena to keep it at 2 rinks. I wonder if there will be any long term plans to add a third rink, just something simple with little or no seating for practices/minor hockey?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
33,000 in the 2021 census agglomeration
It will be interesting to see what happens with the WHL in Manitoba.

Some say that the WHL is already too big which has led to dilution of talent - witness the struggles of WHL teams at the Memorial Cup against the OHL/QMJHL champions. Those other leagues are smaller, and if the WHL was similar, then several players on each team would be playing midget, junior A or whatever instead of major junior. So the WHL may not be eager to expand.

But that said, if it did expand in Manitoba, I don't think there is too much fertile ground for a team. Pretty well any place that could support one already has a longstanding junior hockey team. The likely best bet would be somewhere in southern Manitoba to capture that regional population, realistically either Steinbach or Morden-Winkler. But neither is big enough to make it a slam dunk. Morden-Winkler would need a new arena. Steinbach is building one, but it's arguably too small for the WHL long term. So I'd bet that Winnipeg and Brandon will be the only WHL cities in Manitoba for quite a long time to come.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Technically, Winkler-Morden is growing faster than Steinbach, and has slightly more people.
Technically Steinbach is both larger and growing faster than either Winkler or Morden once you add RMs. The reality is these two areas are clones with Steinbach being a singular node whereas Winkler-Morden is twin cities. Steinbach-Mitchell being just three miles apart is nearly the size of Winkler and Morden combined at eight miles apart. I don't think you can make the claim that either is more deserving of the other aside from random circumstance or opportunity.

Just adding the the major communities (1,000+) within 10 miles of each other, similar to Winkler-Morden distance.

Steinbach - 17,806
RM Hanover - 17,216 (Mitchell, Manitoba - 3,316)
Ste. Anne. - 2,891
La Broquerie - 1,332
Total - 39,245

Winkler - 13,745
Morden - 9,929
Rural Municipality of Stanley - 8,981
Roland - 1,145
Total - 33,800

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 11:20 PM

^^ I think it's a bit misleading to add all of Hanover to Steinbach. The whole region around Steinbach is somewhat in Winnipeg's orbit, but Winkler is much less so (ie a truer CA boundary).

For a different viewpoint, the CA area for Steinbach is only the City of Steinbach. I think this is also misleading, but the RM of Hanover is too big of an area to be put in one region wholly.

Typical census boundary problems.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
^^ I think it's a bit misleading to add all of Hanover to Steinbach. The whole region around Steinbach is somewhat in Winnipeg's orbit, but Winkler is much less so (ie a truer CA boundary).

For a different viewpoint, the CA area for Steinbach is only the City of Steinbach. I think this is also misleading, but the RM of Hanover is too big of an area to be put in one region wholly.

Typical census boundary problems.
I don't think it's misleading at all, If you think that people in New Bothwell, Kleefeld, Grunthal, Blumenort and area go to Winnipeg for their groceries I think your mistaken. Hanover is exactly 10 miles wide and about 20 miles long with Steinbach in the north section.

You can make that argument for Niverville perhaps, but their numbers are not included in Hanover as it is a distinct town. Even if you think that a few thousand of the people would lie in the realm of the Capital Region the numbers are still on par.

Of course the RM of Hanover area and Steinbach are influenced by it's distance to Winnipeg, but it is still a distinct regional capital of its own.

Also the RM of Stanley is much larger than Hanover as a whole.

Stanley - 835.18km2
Hanover - 730.44km2

Again my point is the two areas are basically on a statistical par. You can make the argument to include a few thousand here exclude a few thousand there. The reality is the two immediate regions have a difference of a few thousand at most either way.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 4:25 AM

If anyone else disagrees with me I challenge you to a buggy race (or whatever misconceptions people have about Mennonites)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
I don't think it's misleading at all, If you think that people in New Bothwell, Kleefeld, Grunthal, Blumenort and area go to Winnipeg for their groceries I think your mistaken. Hanover is exactly 10 miles wide and about 20 miles long with Steinbach in the north section.

You can make that argument for Niverville perhaps, but their numbers are not included in Hanover as it is a distinct town. Even if you think that a few thousand of the people would lie in the realm of the Capital Region the numbers are still on par.

Of course the RM of Hanover area and Steinbach are influenced by it's distance to Winnipeg, but it is still a distinct regional capital of its own.

Also the RM of Stanley is much larger than Hanover as a whole.

Stanley - 835.18km2
Hanover - 730.44km2

Again my point is the two areas are basically on a statistical par. You can make the argument to include a few thousand here exclude a few thousand there. The reality is the two immediate regions have a difference of a few thousand at most either way.
I agree that they are pretty well the same for relative size and growth. RM boundaries do not represent the reach of small cities generally.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan