HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:27 PM

I think these changes make a noticeable positive difference!

Unfortunately, increasing the glazing area not only increases the cost due to larger windows, but also makes it more difficult to comply with the 2017 National Energy Code for Buildings. Of course, the challenges with respect to complying with the energy code can be overcome by installing higher grade windows, more efficient HVAC systems, thermally decoupled balconies, and more insulation within the opaque wall areas but all of this would mean additional costs which I am sure Baydo is not interested in.

Also, a big reason why rental buildings like these have much less glazing compared to a condo building like River Landing is reduced life-cycle costs. Opaque wall areas can be much more thermally efficient and easier to maintain which saves building owners significant money over the lifespan of a structure. This isn't as big of an issue for condo developments like River Landing because once the developer sells all the units and turns the building over to the Condo Corp., the life-cycle costs are no longer their problem (unless if it was discovered that the developer did something negligent during the design and construction phase).

My prediction is that the condo fees at No.1 River Landing will increase significantly in the next 5-10 years due to costs related to heating and cooling the building as well as the planned replacement of seals within the window wall that must be accounted for in the reserve fund study.

More stringent future (and current) energy codes will mean future high rises in Saskatchewan will likely have less glazing and more opaque surfaces on their facades. I will be surprised if we ever see another "glass box" condo tower in this province.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:19 PM

it's upsetting seeing these new renders with larger windows knowing the original renders is what we'll end up getting. this last version would have actually looked really nice in the skyline.. I ould have been happy with it.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:12 PM

Well, we still haven't seen renderings of these buildings from all angles. Maybe the east face will have floor-to-ceiling windows. Or maybe there won't be any windows at all on that side, or on the north face, due to the properties next to them. Wouldn't that be energy-efficient! Maybe we've only been shown the prettiest, most-flattering angles. More details would be most welcome.

Anyway, these days I've been thinking more about Baydo's track record. They've never built a highrise before, and now they're tackling "the largest residential development in the city’s history." Fingers crossed, I guess!

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
That's my opinion too, increasing window size takes care of some of the problems with the project, other posters have mentioned having staggered height to buildings, make the buildings not quite as close together or turn them to be at an angle, and something drastically different needs to be done with the podium.

I photoshopped another image from the developer released illustration and maded windows twice as big as the original diagram of project and added eight more floors to the brown building. Have 5 instead of 4 floors of underground parking would take care of the need for extra parking stalls for suites from 26 to 33 floors
Again let me know if it's looking better or worse.

I'd like to see walkup suites to units from street level to cover up the ugliness of the podium too, there are tons of examples in other cities that give a more human perspective to highrise residential from the street.
I think that makes a huge difference. I wonder what it would look like as just one tall building.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
More stringent future (and current) energy codes will mean future high rises in Saskatchewan will likely have less glazing and more opaque surfaces on their facades. I will be surprised if we ever see another "glass box" condo tower in this province.
The River Landing Towers may in fact be completely offset by a new solar project - as long as this pandemic didnt screw up the numbers.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
The River Landing Towers may in fact be completely offset by a new solar project - as long as this pandemic didnt screw up the numbers.
Can you explain what you mean here?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 12:41 AM

May 26th - hole digging has begun

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:44 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 3:39 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Seems a 25-story building is pretty normal to top out at 75-6 metres, so Baydo can hit the max for the site-height without incurring extra city hall hassles.

Wouldn't mind a little hassle for 25/30 though;>)
Id say around the 90m mark it should cap out at. Given that theres podiums as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 10:30 PM

I feel like if it was going to be that high then Baydo would have advertised it as being the new highest building in the province. Would love to be wrong!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:27 PM

Sorry but 10 ft per floor * 25 = 250 ft = 76m

Lets be generous and assume two double height floors in podium:

27 * 10 = 270 ft = 82m

Lets be realistic... 9 ft floors and two 1.5 height floors in podium:

26 * 9 = 234 ft = 71m

(plus mechanical)

No way this thing (things?) is (are?) coming close to 90m let alone 80m.

...all my humble opinion of course.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Sorry but 10 ft per floor * 25 = 250 ft = 76m

Lets be generous and assume two double height floors in podium:

27 * 10 = 270 ft = 82m

Lets be realistic... 9 ft floors and two 1.5 height floors in podium:

26 * 9 = 234 ft = 71m

(plus mechanical)

No way this thing (things?) is (are?) coming close to 90m let alone 80m.

...all my humble opinion of course.
Alt, you’re right on with these numbers. It used to be that a commercial tower would be 10-11 feet per storey, and a residential building 9’ per storey.

River Landings commercial towers at 4m/13’ per average floor plus the glamour floors at the base and top is what gets us the tallest building in the province with only 18 floors (meh). I liked it a lot better when it was the original 95 meters, now it looks squat to me.

With regard to the renders of larger windows and pining away for more glass on this project, as a residential designer, those renderings are truly unrealistic for apartments. As drawn, those ‘windows’ would represent floor to ceiling, wall to wall glass in every bedroom. Consider their scale next to the large balconies in the actual drawings. In apartment sized rooms (usually smaller than condos) furniture placement and privacy are just about impossible to well achieve with a glass curtain wall. The door and closet on the opposite side, along with circulation space can make it pretty tough to have a usable room without putting anything up against the third wall, which is usually cold in a Sask. winter. So it has to be a wall with a window, not just a window. The developer has to be able to rent these out at a profit, not count on rich buyers who will pay the high utility costs because they can (unlike renters) afford them. The new NBC also makes things tough energy wise for lots of fenestration.

Lastly, let’s get a big freaking dose of perspective here! Up until River Landing started 5 years ago, there hadn’t been a 70m + building built in Saskatoon in 30 years! 30 years! We had basically nothing to talk about on a forum called skyscraper page. Then, miraculously 4 beautiful Class AAA towers go up at once? Wow! But check my calendar... Thanks guys, that used up Saskatoon’s quota for the next 25 years! I’m prepared to go back into hibernation again...

And then Baydo announces not one, but TWO, TWO towers in one! (Anybody remember the mint Commercial?)

What the heck? Could Highpoint even happen too? Check my phone and Google maps! Am I even in the right city?

River Landing’s dream buildings won’t be the last noticeable new buildings with any height in this construction sleepy town? Baydo is actually digging? Unlike the vapor projects of North Prairie, Lake Placid, and before them Remai Developments (but God bless them for the gallery contributions!)?

I won’t have to go through construction crane withdrawal in downtown Saskatoon?

Hot damn! Only one in ten is going to make Architectural Digest. Give me six more ‘commie’ blocks so at least we have a shot at another gem getting built some time!

This is freaking Saskatoon! Land of no height buildings, parking lots, and spreading out as far as the eye can see! Where NOTHING has been happening for a quarter of a century!

Two 25 storey towers? Bring ‘em on!!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:59 PM

Is there confidence both towers will be fully built now, or do you think only one tower will be built with the second one only coming if there is demand???

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Is there confidence both towers will be fully built now, or do you think only one tower will be built with the second one only coming if there is demand???
I recall the developer mentioning that they’d build both at the same time and likely only furnish one to start with, depending on demand.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:49 PM

Does "furnish" in construction terms mean finishes on the inside?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:38 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:23 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:30 PM

Anything new yet from your view of things

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 10:56 PM

Not much of a change. They’re doing sheet piling to the right but it doesn’t seem to be going well with the sheet piling equipment they have... almost looks like an OHS issue forthcoming as i’ve seen the vibrator machine fall off the sheets a couple time and violently jerk the crane. Maybe that’s normal, i don’t know lol. I’m excited to see some digging but at this rate it doesn’t look like digging is happening until early fall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan