HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 9:56 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Current state of affairs. The hot spot seem to have moved from the South now to a huge belt stretching from Arizona to Maine. Almost like a beauty pageant sash.

A map of possible restriction increases. This map is from the CE and since some of you hide...here it is.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 10:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
A map of possible restriction increases. This map is from the CE and since some of you hide...here it is.
Hochul (NYS)no doubt will. She already declared state of emergency leading up to Omicron.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
A little birdie told me that’s what this country will do next March. Managing Covid will shift to the HSA (Health Security Agency) which is responsible for flu, etc. It will literally be treated as another kind of flu, and they will keep track of cases and deaths (as they do for flu) but there will be no rules, testing or isolation requirements.
March eh? I wonder what is so special about that month?
It sounds like lots of US employers are pushing back their own reentry plans to....March! As if everyone got the same memo. Parts of Portland have picked up. Parts of the city look like an omega man ghost town.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
March eh? I wonder what is so special about that month?
It sounds like lots of US employers are pushing back their own reentry plans to....March! As if everyone got the same memo. Parts of Portland have picked up. Parts of the city look like an omega man ghost town.
Ironically, England is re-imposing an indoor mask mandates starting today.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 5:52 PM

March is the end of winter, and therefore the end of the period during which the NHS is regularly under pressure from flu because it sucks.

I’ve been in Miami since Wednesday so I don’t know whether people are following the new mask rules or not. I am supposed to go back to England before Christmas, but if the announcement on the 18th goes in the wrong direction then I’m staying here and arranging for movers to pack up our apartment in London.

That would be the last straw. The Brits can sit in their tiny houses while it rains outside and clap for their shitty healthcare system, while voting for Brexiteers who ruin London. It’s a fucking gerontocracy.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
March is the end of winter, and therefore the end of the period during which the NHS is regularly under pressure from flu because it sucks.

I’ve been in Miami since Wednesday so I don’t know whether people are following the new mask rules or not. I am supposed to go back to England before Christmas, but if the announcement on the 18th goes in the wrong direction then I’m staying here and arranging for movers to pack up our apartment in London.

That would be the last straw. The Brits can sit in their tiny houses while it rains outside and clap for their shitty healthcare system, while voting for Brexiteers who ruin London. It’s a fucking gerontocracy.
It's quite ironic you crying about "gerontocracy" while landing in Florida.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 10:16 PM

Id stay in Miami anyway. I don't know what American businesses are waiting for. Stay at home orders have all been lifted. I think introvert industries are never going back tho. My office came back in June but its kind of a hybrid system. I hear only 30 percent of NYC workers are back. That seems crazy to me. Its probably a different vibe in high density cities but I can't imagine what cbds in low density downtowns are like right now.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Id stay in Miami anyway. I don't know what American businesses are waiting for. Stay at home orders have all been lifted. I think introvert industries are never going back tho. My office came back in June but its kind of a hybrid system. I hear only 30 percent of NYC workers are back. That seems crazy to me. Its probably a different vibe in high density cities but I can't imagine what cbds in low density downtowns are like right now.
Outside of the principal cities there was never anything downtown anyway. And people aren’t back in the office because commuting is literally the stupidest fucking waste of time ever imagined. I think hyper centralised cities with enormous “daytime populations” relative to their residents might be done for. Entertainment districts will survive, because they need a critical mass to be enjoyable. But I don’t ever plan to work more than 20 minutes away from where I sleep ever again and I think a lot of people would agree. Now for me that means living in the center of the city and walking to the office, but for others it clearly will be different.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:31 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ After deal with shitty LA traffic for the past few months, I’m 100% with you. At least this is one good thing COVID has led to on a living standpoint.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:40 PM

There is a big COVID outbreak brewing in NYC. I was in close contact with at least one person that tested positive recently, and possibly had contact with more than that. All breakthrough cases. I took a test the day before I found that out which came back negative so hopefully that remains the case. I'm also hearing of breakthrough cases shutting down offices throughout the city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 12:14 AM

I honestly can't believe people still are working at home because their jobs haven't asked them to come back or they are scared. At this point, I have to wonder about the business you work at or your mental state. This is insane.

NPR always talks about Covid and the hosts always ask "when will we get back to somewhat normalcy?"

HUH

Who isn't living their lives with "somewhat normalcy?" If your life is still significantly different today than it was in 2019, you are the issue. Leave the rest of us alone to live our lives.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:31 AM

I work in person, my kids are in school...everything is almost back to normal other than wearing masks. And now that my son is two weeks out from his second shot, we can start actually going to restaurants and museums and the like with both our kids...which is the one remaining pre-COVID activity we hadn't been doing.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:33 AM
devout Pizzatarian

My two kids just got their second shots this afternoon.

We're making plans for a pretty damn normal Christmas.

Praise Cheesus!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:00 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I honestly can't believe people still are working at home because their jobs haven't asked them to come back or they are scared. At this point, I have to wonder about the business you work at or your mental state. This is insane.

NPR always talks about Covid and the hosts always ask "when will we get back to somewhat normalcy?"

HUH

Who isn't living their lives with "somewhat normalcy?" If your life is still significantly different today than it was in 2019, you are the issue. Leave the rest of us alone to live our lives.
Lot of moving parts with huge companies. We return to work at the end of January after being WFH since March 2020. We are in a dozen or so countries so trying to coordinate full RTO has to be complicated. My wife's company fully opened back in May 2020. Privately owned by someone who opposes WFH.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Praise Cheesus!
Lolla. Did I get a whiff of that there Turkey pizza?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Praise Cheesus!
Don't worry, the media and the "health experts" (who don't speak for all, or even most physicians btw) will find a way to spook you back into hiding. Then Pfizer can collect another $100 billion in more products that we don't need

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

HUH

We return to normalcy when we decide to.

COVID is more of a mental illness than anything else at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 2:28 PM
BANNED

Thumbs down California

We're going backwards here in California. Starting today, a statewide indoor mask mandate goes into action. It will last until at least January 15th. Since June 15th, when California dropped the colored tier covid system, I haven't worn a mask indoors/outside anywhere with the exception of the doctors' office and I haven't been asked to produce proof of vaccination anywhere in San Diego County.

Life was basically back to 2019 normalcy since June and really much earlier here in SDC when they relaxed the indoor capacity limits in the late winter through early spring.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 3:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Lolla. Did I get a whiff of that there Turkey pizza?
in chicago, a traditional Xmas dinner consists of a hotdog, that's placed inside a gyro, that's placed inside a burrito, that's placed inside a deep dish pizza, that's then drizzled with a malort/old style reduction.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 4:08 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
We're going backwards here in California. Starting today, a statewide indoor mask mandate goes into action. It will last until at least January 15th. Since June 15th, when California dropped the colored tier covid system, I haven't worn a mask indoors/outside anywhere with the exception of the doctors' office and I haven't been asked to produce proof of vaccination anywhere in San Diego County.

Life was basically back to 2019 normalcy since June and really much earlier here in SDC when they relaxed the indoor capacity limits in the late winter through early spring.
You could always move to Frisco.

Quote:
California exempts San Francisco from COVID indoor mask rule

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California is exempting San Francisco from a rule that takes effect Wednesday requiring all people to wear masks indoors in a bid to contain a troubling rise in new coronavirus cases.

San Francisco will continue to allow fully vaccinated people to remove their masks in gyms and workplaces while its overall masking mandate remains in effect, the city Department of Public Health announced.

“It’s a recognition of all of the thought and care that San Francisco residents have been putting into staying as safe as possible,” said Dr. Susan Philip, San Francisco’s health officer.

About 86% of eligible San Francisco residents have received at least one vaccine dose, according to the public health department.

San Francisco businesses were relieved that the city can continue permitting fully vaccinated people to go maskless in some indoor locations.

“To have any disruption at all in the progress we’ve made over the last year and a half in getting customers back would have been devastating,” Dave Karraker, co-owner of MX3 Fitness and spokesman for the San Francisco Independent Fitness Studio Coalition, told the San Francisco Chronicle.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...241851c79627f9

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions