HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Portage and Main be open for pedestrian traffic?
Yes 113 92.62%
No 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It hasn't come up in the mayoral race, but I have to think it is at the back of Murray's mind if he gets elected.
If you follow him on Twitter he’s mentioned it already, he supports the opening.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:52 AM

Good to know. I hadn't seen any reporting on it and I don't follow him on twitter. I had guessed that it was too controversial an issue for anyone to bring it up pre-election. Good for him.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:59 AM

Glen Murray was fairly enthusiastic about reopening P&M during his original stint as mayor, I believe he was the one behind the City Crossing design initiative aimed at reimagining the corner.

At the time the conventional wisdom was that the property owners would never agree to reopening the corner to pedestrian crossings because they wouldn't want to lose the traffic in the underground system, but that thinking eventually changed to at least some degree over the years with some (if not all?) of the owners becoming supportive of the idea.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:27 PM

Yes, if only we could go back in time.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:48 PM

Without Twitter, I don't know how I'd get any of my news. I do not watch TV except for sports. Tuning into to CTV at 6 isn't my thing.

Re: the mayoral race, I follow the few candidates I'm interested in on Twitter.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 3:54 PM

P&M would benefit tremendously if the lots on the east side of Main were replaced with midrise residential. We need people here 24/7, and this will create the vibrancy we all want for our downtown as a whole. 300 Main is a great start. Now let's open the intersection.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
P&M would benefit tremendously if the lots on the east side of Main were replaced with midrise residential. We need people here 24/7, and this will create the vibrancy we all want for our downtown as a whole. 300 Main is a great start. Now let's open the intersection.
Main Street is really in horrendous shape for most of its length through downtown.

Near Assiniboine there is a useless park instead of buildings. Then there is a large swath of surface parking from Broadway right up to William Stephenson.

Once you get north of Main, it's empty lots on the east side and unused/underused buildings on the west. The Bank of Commerce should be a prestigious banking hall or a corporate headquarters, but it has been vacant since 1969 except for being an occasional wedding venue the last 20 years.

Then lots of missing teeth right up until Logan, and then it's just downhill from there.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of beautiful and well used buildings along Main and 300 Main will certainly help, but there are way too many empty lots and unused buildings that destroy any continuity.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 5:03 PM

I agree. For our "main street", it is embarrassing.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Main Street is really in horrendous shape for most of its length through downtown.

Near Assiniboine there is a useless park instead of buildings. Then there is a large swath of surface parking from Broadway right up to William Stephenson.

Once you get north of Main, it's empty lots on the east side and unused/underused buildings on the west. The Bank of Commerce should be a prestigious banking hall or a corporate headquarters, but it has been vacant since 1969 except for being an occasional wedding venue the last 20 years.

Then lots of missing teeth right up until Logan, and then it's just downhill from there.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of beautiful and well used buildings along Main and 300 Main will certainly help, but there are way too many empty lots and unused buildings that destroy any continuity.
I think the conditions are right for a virtuous cycle along Main. Residential demand outpaces supply. It's a harder sell for potential tenants to be "first" in a sea of asphalt parking lots. 300 Main will hopefully soon finish its long-delayed construction and start filling with tenants. Earls no longer needs the parking lots it had beside the old location. Transit Master Plan will eventually start improving service to that area.

Once a residential building goes up along there, I think it's a much easier sell to build more.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Without Twitter, I don't know how I'd get any of my news. I do not watch TV except for sports. Tuning into to CTV at 6 isn't my thing.

Re: the mayoral race, I follow the few candidates I'm interested in on Twitter.
Twitter is a great medium for the masses.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 2:58 AM

I plan on being in Winnipeg soon, and I was looking to book at the Fairmont. I could have swore exterior renovations were done a little while ago? I haven’t been to Winnipeg in quite a few years, but by the looks of google earth the buildings on both sides got renovations but not The Fairmont? Last time I was there it was jarring going from a typical Fairmont to the one in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 11:23 AM

The Courtyard in front of Fairmont, the Rchardson Building has had renovation but nothing on the exterior of Fairmont. Not sure about inside.

Across the street, the 201 Portage Courtyard will be opening soon.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:07 PM

Article posted on today's Global news website:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9284435/2...town-winnipeg/

Another restaurant at P & M, and not just a food court. Lots of big-wigs celebrating. I wonder if this will add some extra impetus to move on opening the corner?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Another restaurant at P & M, and not just a food court. Lots of big-wigs celebrating. I wonder if this will add some extra impetus to move on opening the corner?
They did a nice job with that lobby. Yeah it's kind of a mismatch with the rest of the building now, but at least the space is somewhat grand now. I always thought the previous version of the lobby was somewhat underwhelming for the city's tallest and most prestigious office tower. The restaurant will be a nice touch as well.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

If it is the 529 Eatery on the main floor, 57 seats..outdoor patio. that was announced several weeks ago.
Unless something more I did not catch?
Is there still a food court or the new term "Food Hall" in the Lower level?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
If it is the 529 Eatery on the main floor, 57 seats..outdoor patio. that was announced several weeks ago.
Unless something more I did not catch?
Is there still a food court or the new term "Food Hall" in the Lower level?
Yes it is 529 on the main level, lower level has a food court anchored by Mercatino Fresh Food.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 9:29 PM

lower level will have 529 Burger, main lobby will have 529 Uptown and 529 coffee shop

the big party yesterday really had nothing to do w 529, it was the $25million reveal of renovated lobby, courtyard, BMO, elevators, etc. watch the video here for some before after photos

https://youtu.be/8ndUzgLHgho

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:32 PM

Randon P&M old school pictures

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:23 PM

This is a pretty cool photo of portage and main from 1966:

https://twitter.com/winnipeg1870s/st...u4ASKDyEPHVAPQ

We’re so unlucky that portage and main was designed to be so wide. It’s kind of amazing to see that giant 8 lane road in 1966.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
This is a pretty cool photo of portage and main from 1966:

https://twitter.com/winnipeg1870s/st...u4ASKDyEPHVAPQ

We’re so unlucky that portage and main was designed to be so wide. It’s kind of amazing to see that giant 8 lane road in 1966.
Wow, what an awesome pic. Thanks for sharing that.

I think it's great the streets are so wide. I think we're unlucky we lost so many old buildings. ANother tragedy is the barriers they put up around P&M. They are so ugly, specially now with the faded rainbow colors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan