HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Uh oh!

More Goettsch blue glass boxes.

The natives will be restless.
Placeholder massing, but I too am disappointed in these seemingly 'small plans'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
If this site can't generate a max density supertall tower, then safe to say Chicago will never see another one built again. I hate to see these prime sites close to the west loop train stations be underdeveloped continuously.
It's not "safe to say" that, and in fact, it's kind of a dumb comment seeing as there's a supernal going up now.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Placeholder massing, but I too am disappointed in these seemingly 'small plans'.
Hopefully............. not sure on that though.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:01 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
It would have been amazing if a plaza was proposed for the site, since Chicago doesn't really have a proper open plaza, but looks like we got another parking podium instead
We definitely have some proper plazas, unless you mean just an entire block of open space that isn't a park

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:03 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
If this site can't generate a max density supertall tower, then safe to say Chicago will never see another one built again. I hate to see these prime sites close to the west loop train stations be underdeveloped continuously.
Other than the fact that this statement is moronic, since Chicago has supertalls getting built in every major cycle(including one with possible one or two more to come in this cycle), the proposal by SOM was not a supertall, as it was only 950 ft. Well short of the 984 cutoff.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:07 AM
THAT Guy

In its current state (which I'm sure could change drastically over time), I say this is junk. Not only are they throwing a suburban office tower-looking addition on top of Union Station, but the new towers also look pretty lacking.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:19 AM

The complexity of this site provides an extraordinary opportunity for structural exploration and expression. It shouldn't be wasted like this.

With all the promising images we saw in the competition, how pedestrian.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:28 AM

I could care less if we get a supertall. Im sure many on this forum would agree that 5 shorter towers with good density are better than a supertall but this is just boring and underwhelming. And why the twins? Whats the purpose of copying a poor design? I'm hoping this is a really reallllly rough draft. Frankly I expect more from Goettsch.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 6:29 AM

This just ruined my day. I thought there was a design competition for this? How in the actual fuck do we end up with such an uninspired POS. The people in this city's architectural community have lost their will to take risks, to innovate and inspire. I hope that this is just a placeholder massing but I think not. So sick of being disappointed by all the banality. I thought we had learned from the mistake of all the shitty pomo we had gotten in the 90's to early 2000's but it's baaaaaack. Oh but wait, there are two squat blue glass towers on the lot next door, so it's modern too then.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Other than the fact that this statement is moronic, since Chicago has supertalls getting built in every major cycle(including one with possible one or two more to come in this cycle), the proposal by SOM was not a supertall, as it was only 950 ft. Well short of the 984 cutoff.
I said max density supertall. I know thin residential towers are fulfilling the super tall category, but beefy office based supertalls are prime for the railroad station district as far as market viability.

I'm looking for the newer taller larger massing of sears tower class office structure.

Last edited by LaSalle.St.Station; May 25, 2017 at 7:16 AM. Reason: Me

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:14 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I said max density supertall. I know thin residential towers are fulfilling the super tall category, but beefy office based supertalls are prime for the railroad station district as far as market viability.
Residential is much more viable than office for building tall in the overwhelming majority of markets nowadays.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:21 AM

Xxxcx

Last edited by LaSalle.St.Station; May 25, 2017 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Duplication

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 7:52 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:

I'm looking for the newer taller larger massing of sears tower class office structure.
Wolf Point South and 110 N Wacker are good consolation prizes. Not to mention River Point and 150 N Riverside just went up. The Sears Tower just outshines so many other buildings worldwide when it comes to square footage, that it's hard for me to be upset with the best projects of this boom.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 9:14 AM

Not sure if there's a link, NBC 5 has a bunch more photos of the new proposal I saw on the news this morning. Still dissapointed.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:08 PM

wow. after so many proposals over the years... we get this shit...

what a fucking disaster.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
wow. after so many proposals over the years... we get this shit...

what a fucking disaster.
Dare I ask if anyone has photos of the JLL/Studio Gang/Pelli Clarke Pelli proposal that also wasn't selected?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Dare I ask if anyone has photos of the JLL/Studio Gang/Pelli Clarke Pelli proposal that also wasn't selected?
ditto for the gensler scheme.

i want to see all of the other entrants so i can properly know how deep my disappointment should be.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 25, 2017 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:00 PM

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:14 PM

so are they just tearing down the new transit center / bus terminal they built on Jackson across from Union Station?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:15 PM

I don't outright hate the towers/plaza on the parking structure parcel but jesus christ on the towers sprouting from the head house.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:20 PM

Wow! What a let down! Now I'm terrified to think what the City's plans are for the new terminals at ORD!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive