HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:22 PM

The vast majority of the deaths, from what I understand, have been elderly and those with already compromised immune systems. The general, healthy adult probably doesn't need to excessively worry. That said, it would suck to get sick from it. If you're going to be spending time in public, the best thing you can do is wash your hands diligently.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Getting a little worried about SXSW where already seen other tech companies pull out of other large conventions and showcases.
I'm starting to think this is a major concern. If SXSW were happening on Monday I'd be less concerned, but it's 2.5 weeks away, and that's plenty of time for new COVID nodes to develop or be uncovered either globally or here in the US. No one at the CDC seems to think we're on the downside of the discoverability curve, and that's bad news for everyone. Aside from the mortality question, the blow to the economy (and tourism is on the leading edge of it here) is potentially catastrophic.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Not saying the Coronavirus isn't a cause for concern, but I do believe the media likes to over hype things. There acting like it's a zombie apocalypse.
If you've ever been to Italy, you'd realize these streets and squared are truly deserted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEq2gypI1-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E27JgIOljI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMytkjthsiE

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7...laylist=x64rzi

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:37 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The vast majority of the deaths, from what I understand, have been elderly and those with already compromised immune systems. The general, healthy adult probably doesn't need to excessively worry. That said, it would suck to get sick from it. If you're going to be spending time in public, the best thing you can do is wash your hands diligently.
Washing your hands is a good idea, but it's airborne, so doing that won't do you much good if you do come in contact with someone who has it. The incubation period is also what makes it difficult - up to three weeks, meaning that someone who already is carrying it won't show symptoms until then. How many people do we come in contact within three weeks, especially in a city?

Anyway, we have an extensive thread going in the CE forum on the coronavirus.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=241619

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 8:48 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Washing your hands is a good idea, but it's airborne, so doing that won't do you much good if you do come in contact with someone who has it. The incubation period is also what makes it difficult - up to three weeks, meaning that someone who already is carrying it won't show symptoms until then. How many people do we come in contact within three weeks, especially in a city?

Thanks for the link to the CE thread. I will follow it.

Unless the situation somehow improves, and given the short time we have before the festival, I think it's increasingly likely that SXSW will be severely impacted. To what extent remains to be seen.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Thanks for the link to the CE thread. I will follow it.

Unless the situation somehow improves, and given the short time we have before the festival, I think it's increasingly likely that SXSW will be severely impacted. To what extent remains to be seen.
No question that SXSW will be impacted and attendance + cash flow will be down, maybe way down. I always thought attendance was eventually going decrease anyway, but when we compare this years' and last years' numbers at least there will be an asterisk next to the results suggesting it was that damn virus and not the popularity of the event that caused the decreases.
I hear the 2020 Olympics may have to be cancelled. Regardless, Japan seems to stand to lose the most.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 9:19 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
No question that SXSW will be impacted and attendance + cash flow will be down, maybe way down. I always thought attendance was eventually going decrease anyway, but when we compare this years' and last years' numbers at least there will be an asterisk next to the results suggesting it was that damn virus and not the popularity of the event that caused the decreases.
I hear the 2020 Olympics may have to be cancelled. Regardless, Japan seems to stand to lose the most.
There are also the other big events here in March - The rodeo and relays, among others. And yep, the Olympics are definitely in question. We're dealing with human nature/behavior just as much as the virus itself.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Never been. But at least there taking precaution and not trying to spread it around.

Last edited by JoninATX; Feb 27, 2020 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:

dude, I did not need another thread to follow. Cali.....the promised land.....wtf?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:58 AM
Meh

Yeah, my brother is in the tech industry and flies out to LA and the bay area a few times a year. He was just there a couple of weeks ago.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:

dude, I did not need another thread to follow. Cali.....the promised land.....wtf?

Last edited by urbancore; Feb 27, 2020 at 4:12 AM. Reason: how do you delete dumb shit?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:08 AM

It seems to me that we are mostly going to be fine......but we need to watch our asses, cuz this could really impact our elderly and infirmed.......which would be a complete disaster.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my brother is in the tech industry and flies out to LA and the bay area a few times a year. He was just there a couple of weeks ago.
My grandmother and my mother always claimed SF was their favorite city in the world (both world travelers). Mom told me last Christmas she will never go back. She is a "Haight Ashbury" Grateful Dead hippie. She lived there briefly in the 60-70's....when I was a baby. She can't believe what the city has become.

I haven't been since '04. But I have a TRUCK load of clients from Cali. Just sold a house last week in Eanes to my clients for $90k OVER ask (15 offers). They were THRILLED to not spend 20% over ask (the norm in SF they said). How can Austinites compete with that? They can't.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 2:36 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
wtf are you talking about? flu deaths certainly outnumber covid19 deaths in the aggregate, but the fatality rate for flu is a fraction of that for covid19.

btw, the covid19 outcome breakdown according to WHO was something like this:
80% mild symptoms - no hospitalization
20% severe or critical - could require significant medical intervention, including from respiratory support machines. the range of outcomes here includes shit like septic shock and organ failure. death rate seems to be around 2% but could change significantly.

freerover's chart show covid19's death rate as a pretty wide range, but either way it's WAY more than the 0.1% of ordinary seasonal flu.

this doesn't mean we need to panic and buy out costco, but we shouldn't ignore this potential threat.
Your exactly right, was I saying... Clearly got mixed up in what I was typing, in my defense, I was half asleep, medicated due to extreme back pain at the time and misheard a news story where a doctor was discussing comparisons between the flu and Coronavirus. Actually laughed at what I typed as it isn't what I thought I'd typed. Lesson of the story is I shouldn't post or even txt when I'm half passed out.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 1:28 PM
World Traveler

Hey guys, I've been slammed for a while, but I read on here occasionally. Here is the best source (Johns Hopkins University in partnership with others) for stats that I've seen on current cases:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 5:11 PM

what's brewing

i saw a post this am that the governor is planning to address the media about an 'economic development'. anyone know if this the thing that started this thread a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
i saw a post this am that the governor is planning to address the media about an 'economic development'. anyone know if this the thing that started this thread a few weeks ago.
Maybe this is it? Posted to his Twitter 37 minutes ago. The Gov gets a trophy from Site Selection.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Maybe this is it? Posted to his Twitter 37 minutes ago. The Gov gets a trophy from Site Selection.

Did he delete the tweet because I don't see it?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 7:08 PM

It's still at the top of his Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/GovAbbott?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I don't use Twitter, so I don't know much about it. Maybe someone's feed looks different depending on whether or not you're logged in.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It's still at the top of his Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/GovAbbott?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I don't use Twitter, so I don't know much about it. Maybe someone's feed looks different depending on whether or not you're logged in.
Thanks. I see it now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin