HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 10:33 PM
Ground Scraper

Isn't this steps from the train and bus station? Why are we building more low-density auto-centric bullshit so close to transit? Oh yeah, shitting zoning.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:50 AM

The Honorable Governor Polis take the gloves off

https://www.cpr.org/2021/04/08/gov-j...e-state-money/
Quote:
“While I wish RTD the best — ...and I hope to sign one (bill) that will allow them to compete and do better — they certainly don’t have a monopoly on public transit,” he said.

As the state considers a bill that would raise revenue for the Colorado Department of Transportation, Gov. Jared Polis says RTD, the Regional Transportation District, is not a part of it.

“I, and many others at the state level, are not always happy with everything RTD does,” Polis told Colorado Matters, “So we’re certainly not about to give them money, but the state absolutely supports local transit.” ( )
No comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopokes21 View Post
Lol. SFH rental developments are the "American Dream, brought to you by Blackrock."

If there is any shred of market evidence supporting this trend, it's more of a matter of conservatives (Blackrock) knowing what other conservatives (SFH renter families) want. It's not a housing trend for the whole country or even a majority of people in Colorado.

I will say one good thing about SFH rental - I do see it as missing middle housing (broadly speaking), especially if it comes in the form of a pocket neighborhood:
https://rosschapin.com/projects/pocket-neighborhoods/
This is not even remotely close to what CONative and I were talking about.

Blackrock which got out of the SFH ownership business in 2019 was indeed a primary beneficiary of the thousands of repossessed homes following the 2008 Great Recession. Very different concept and strategy, however.

Central Park was maybe the only neighborhood with the land that could accommodate this concept in Denver. The one other possibility that comes to mind would be Westside's redevelopment of the former Park Hill Golf Club. Given their NYMBY-ism they might like this concept?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:28 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Isn't this steps from the train and bus station? Why are we building more low-density auto-centric bullshit so close to transit? Oh yeah, shitting zoning.
But but but we have plenty of land!

Candy-Chewbaca posted yesterday about making our streets edible orchards and farms. I wanted to laugh because fruit trees are forbidden in the public right of way. I guess you really can have your cake and eat (sh)it too!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:58 PM
Ground Scraper

Can we please have a primary challenger to Polis? What a fucking clown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 4:15 PM

Evans Station TOD Proposal

Image courtesy of Gables Residential/Denver city documents via BusinessDen

Rezoning sought for 300-unit apartment project near South Broadway
Apr 7, 2021 By James Rodriguez – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
The owner of a nearly two-acre parcel at the northwest corner of South Bannock Street and West Evans Avenue is seeking a rezoning that would enable hundreds of apartment units to be built on the site.

The property, located at 235 W. Evans Ave., is currently owned by Denver-based Downing Street Investments, a company founded and operated by Andrew Davis. Davis told Denver Business Journal he's partnered with multifamily developer Gables Residential to build a roughly 300-unit multifamily project on the parcel.

On Tuesday morning, City Council's Land Use, Transportation and Infrastructure Committee voted to forward the rezoning request to the full Council, where it's tentatively scheduled to come up for a final vote on May 24.
Timing of this will depend on Century Link.
Quote:
The warehouse at 235 W. Evans Ave. is currently occupied by CenturyLink, which still has a renewal option on its lease, Davis said.

"If they decide to renew their lease then this project would be delayed for the term of their lease, but we're working on alternative solutions for them right now," Davis said.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Can we please have a primary challenger to Polis? What a fucking clown.
Polis just yanked the MLB all-stars game into Denver for this year, which will result in an un-told amount local revenue directly injected into the economy and you think he's a clown?.....

He's a moderate, business-centric gay liberal governor. You shouldn't be surprised by his policy positions on many of these issues.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:53 PM
Ground Scraper

Ah yes, a baseball game is very important to me. Bebe mind the fact that he wants his choo choo to Boulder so much that he's willing to take RTD down and leave the most at risk people without viable transportation options. Fuck him and his tech bro money.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:59 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Ah yes, a baseball game is very important to me. Bebe mind the fact that he wants his choo choo to Boulder so much that he's willing to take RTD down and leave the most at risk people without viable transportation options. Fuck him and his tech bro money.
Sorry, but until RTD actually starts doing more to serve those at risk people instead of cutting, cutting, cutting local bus routes the criticism over RTD rings true. This in spite of Polis' misdirected criticism of the Boulder choo-choo. That we're still years out from a restructuring of RTD's service to focus on those routes that you are talking about (urban/local routes with higher ridership) shows that RTD has done very little to change. Granted the pandemic was a major setback, but it could also have served as natural disruption point to follow forward on this. Routes that showed a strong baseline ridership in the pandemic should have had their frequencies increased over pre-pandemic levels while other routes remained chopped. Instead we get the RTD Board acting faux woke and trying to replace security guards with mental health workers as their biggest focus.

RTD could also work on controlling the tweakers and shit-bags who have made the bus terminals pretty unsavory. Public perception means a lot and RTD is failing hard right now at presenting an attractive transportation mode.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Apr 9, 2021 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
How important the game is to you is completely irrelevant. What matters is the local boost on small businesses it's going to have in Denver, especially since by the time it occurs, things will be mostly open back up. Polis handed Denver a big win on this, and you can't deny that.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:36 PM

Polis is not perfect but COVID has been his biggest test. In that test, Colorado had the 12th lowest number of cases per capita, 9th lowest deaths per capita, and the 12th lowest negative economic impact according to WalletHub. I think he has done pretty decent with a few missteps.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 7:33 PM

Side Pocket Topics
Migration
Millennials really want to live in Denver
Apr 8, 2021 - Axios Denver By John Frank
Quote:
Denver continues to be a leading draw for ages 25 to 39 to come to Colorado, a recent SmartAsset report looking at 2019 data shows.
  • The state saw the largest percentage increase in millennials at 2%.
  • Colorado has a larger proportion of millennials than any other state at 23%.
Images courtesy SmartAsset

Where Millennials Are Moving – 2021 Edition
MAR 30, 2021 By Ben Geier, CEPF - SmartAsset
Quote:
Key Findings
  • Moving West and South. Six out of the top 10 cities in the study are located in Western U.S., with the other four in the South. Colorado and Texas each have two cities in the top 10 – Denver and Colorado Springs in the Centennial State, and Austin and Frisco in the Lone Star State.
  • Leaving the biggest cities. Millennials are flowing out most from the largest city in the country. New York City lost a net of almost 40,000 from this generational group in 2019. The second-largest outflow came from Chicago, with a net decrease of more than 11,000 millennials. Other big cities with net migration losses, placing at the bottom of our study, include Los Angeles, San Diego, Boston and Miami.
  • States with no income tax. Five of the top 10 cities where millennials are moving have no state income tax on salaries and wages: Seattle, Washington; Austin, Texas; Frisco, Texas; Henderson, Nevada and Cape Coral, Florida.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Sounds like if we could get rid of setbacks/easements from a zoning perspective, and if developers used better soundproofing, we could do a better job supplying homes that people want at a (semi) reasonable cost. I like the walkable urban life like the rest of the nerds here, but I also can't stand hearing peoples' kids and dogs running around on top of me. I had to go further from the core than I wanted, but I found a small unit in a 1950s fourplex that, while outrageous on a price psf basis, was doable for me. I only share one wall with a neighbor and I get tons more light than I would in a Cap Hill condo (but OTOH not a ton of cool things to walk to). This building would be illegal to build almost everywhere in the City of Denver now.
I live in a concrete-frame building now and it changed everything. (The main reason I moved from my old place was because of a noise-related feud with a neighbor.) I don’t hear a peep from my neighbors above and below. And I only barely hear my neighbors on each side and only if they’re really making noise. Then again, the condos I’ve looked at in buildings similar to this (I’m currently renting) are outrageous on a cost psf basis (and the HOA fees - oh my!)

I’ll be buying relatively soon and I’m hoping to find a place in a truly walkable neighborhood, and I already know, when it comes to neighborhoods like this, concrete frame is where it’s at, so that’s where I’ll be looking. Hopefully I don’t find myself priced out and relegated to something more suburban, because I can already tell you, wood-frame buildings where you can hear your neighbors through the floors/ceilings are not an option.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
I’ll be buying relatively soon and I’m hoping to find a place in a truly walkable neighborhood, and I already know, when it comes to neighborhoods like this, concrete frame is where it’s at, so that’s where I’ll be looking. Hopefully I don’t find myself priced out and relegated to something more suburban, because I can already tell you, wood-frame buildings where you can hear your neighbors through the floors/ceilings are not an option.
Sorry if I'm being presumptuous but it's in my blood.

There's a fair number of concrete buildings in your neighborhood or nearby. A few good sources for looking: OTOH if you can income qualify @ 80% of the medium income: AMI = $65,000 X 80% = $52,000 you could buy a brand new condo at La TELA starting at $150,000.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 12:41 AM

CenturyLink

McGregor Square

One platte

X Denver

The Thompson

10th and Bannock

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:05 AM

X Denver is incredibly hideous. It’s incredible. I can’t believe it’s real. I can’t believe some architect thought this would be okay. But there it is.

I normally appreciate ugly buildings - even though I’m disappointed by their ugliness - because at least they’re adding much needed inventory to the market and increasing density in the neighborhood. Background buildings I say. But X Denver is a scar on the city and I wish it didn’t exist.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:17 AM

I think the architect was going for that prison chic.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:37 AM

"prison chic" lol

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:56 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

On the other hand, the Thompson Hotel... that's a good looking building!

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 2:44 AM

Thompson looks great. I'm really excited for LoDo. Hopefully, things start to come back to normal and LoDo gets some great retail.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
X Denver is incredibly hideous. It’s incredible. I can’t believe it’s real. I can’t believe some architect thought this would be okay. But there it is.

I normally appreciate ugly buildings - even though I’m disappointed by their ugliness - because at least they’re adding much needed inventory to the market and increasing density in the neighborhood. Background buildings I say. But X Denver is a scar on the city and I wish it didn’t exist.
I’ve been inside it. It’s just as horrible on the inside, extremely cheap with exposed concrete walls and ceilings, cheap vinyl windows and paper thin walls. Evidently they are bullish that their concept will work well in the Denver market though since they are under construction on the 22 story X3 at 21st & Arapahoe and are still moving forward with an 18 story X4 at 20th & Welton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West