HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada still see the British Monarch as its own?
Continue to recognize the Monarchy 72 39.13%
Get rid of it 97 52.72%
Split Royal Family to reign Commonwealth members 15 8.15%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:34 PM

don't hate the queen. at one time the idea was not so idiotic. it was a ingenious way to control citizens and bring about law without bringing about split heads. study history and you will find that such measures as to having a royal bloodline was not without its solid merits. controlling the populace has always been a true necessity. without that king/gods and those laws and beliefs, surly their world have been anarchy filled and ruled. god and the queen saved millions of lives just because of the very idea that a decent person would follow such laws and traditions. can you imagine a old world without such measures. they would have needed to hang millions for crimes that where avoided because of the laws of the royals and the church. the very belief that one should be godly and civilized brought about just that. and although theirs was a brutal world and sometimes it even bore a savage face, the tradition of god and kingdom/queendom was the much lesser of two evils. the very notion that without it things would have been better is just poppycock and the sayings of someone who has not thought it out much, and, or, has not done much research into the matter. history is there to study and the need for leaders is no less today, only it works much to the lesser effect. to compare what we have, to what they ruled, shows what works and what does not. we are in fact heading for the very lawless anarchy of which they diligently sought to avoid from the very first civilizations in ancient Mesopotamia. the first laws and the first kings had their place then. if they were good leaders it would work, if not, they had to look forward to a total collapse of civilization. such may be the case at hand.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I could not care less about the monarchy. The whole idea is idiotic.
Not really, monarchs have been around since the beginning of humans. We're part of a Commonwealth of Nations that used to be an empire but split into constitutional monarchies. Without the monarchy there would be no Canada as we know it today. It is our history and our present, and should be our future.

We didn't fight the empire to become our own country like the US did, the monarchy granted us our nation.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 3:44 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

/thrusts bayonet at the yankee in the room

The only worry I have of not continuing on with the monarchy is not being able to call our future 20 dollar bills Up-Chucks.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Not really, monarchs have been around since the beginning of humans. We're part of a Commonwealth of Nations that used to be an empire but split into constitutional monarchies. Without the monarchy there would be no Canada as we know it today. It is our history and our present, and should be our future.

We didn't fight the empire to become our own country like the US did, the monarchy granted us our nation.
Do you know that the majority of Commonwealth nations do not have a foreign monarch as their head of state?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:

They granted us our country with their Queen as our head of state

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:41 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Do you know that the majority of Commonwealth nations do not have a foreign monarch as their head of state?
And neither do we. She's a non resident....she isn't foreign.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 6:39 PM
I am a typical

He was trying to explain that the majority of Commonwealth Nations have elected leaders. Only the Commonwealth Realms have the Queen has head of state.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 6:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
He was trying to explain that the majority of Commonwealth Nations have elected leaders. Only the Commonwealth Realms have the Queen has head of state.
Or at least that a country does not have to have Queen Elizabeth II as head of state if you want to be a member of the Commonwealth.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
And neither do we. She's a non resident....she isn't foreign.
Really? Was she born in Canada or to a Canadian parent? Or has she taken the test to become a naturalized citizen? By definition of our own nationality law the Queen is a foreigner who visits every few years.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:25 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The whole "She's Canadian" thing is just legality word play. Yes, she is legally Canadian based on the constitution, and no, she's not actually Canadian based on her origins, place of residence, etc. I guess it just depends on what's more important to a person.

Personally, if the Hungarian government sent me a document saying I now have joint Hungarian-Canadian citizenship even though neither I nor my parents had been born there or lived there, I wouldn't exactly start calling myself a Hungarian-Canadian. But that's just me.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
This thread is treason you know..
It would be, if I was Canadian.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
It would be, if I was Canadian.
Touche.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I voted to get rid of it.

That being said, there are far more pressing matters that the Canadian government should address. Its not like the monarch really causes any noteworthy problems.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
video et taceo

i find it hard to get passionate on the details, or the symbolism. westminster parliament is a good system. what to say?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Really? Was she born in Canada or to a Canadian parent? Or has she taken the test to become a naturalized citizen? By definition of our own nationality law the Queen is a foreigner who visits every few years.
Canada's power as a country flows through her....In essence, she is Canada.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:02 AM

They should all be guillotined.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:07 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Which, in and of itself, is stupid.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:13 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i find it hard to get passionate on the details, or the symbolism. westminster parliament is a good system. what to say?
Yeah, I don't think most people view it as being terribly serious. Even I just find it a background irritant that I only even think of maybe once a month at most except during big royal events. And the style of government itself isn't an issue at all (except for a few fringe pro-republicers) as it tends to work perfectly fine. I don't think any change should really alter the style of government imo.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:11 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Which, in and of itself, is stupid.
Why is that stupid? The monarch is a personification of the country. She wears the 'Crown'. The Crown serves the people of Canada, and the people of Canada serve the Crown. There's nothing any more stupid about that than the abstract concept of 'the people'.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Good god.. would you like some salt and butter with your corn?

With all this power running through the old bag, maybe we could hook some sort of energy recovery device up to her ass and feed her into the grid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada