HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Odds are her name will be forgotten in a few years, I'd much rather see the bridge named after something historical, perhaps relating to the Mik'Maw Confederacy whose land we are all living on.
I mean....the entire point of naming something after someone is to etch them in history so that people don't forget, or that people who were too young to remember can learn about them. I don't think people will forget about her, but we can certainly make sure we do our best to keep that from happening. I agree with the sentiment above though that I don't necessarily see naming a bridge after her very fitting. Her legacy is about doing nice things for others without wanting anything in return. Not sure that ties in with infastructure like a bridge.

She does already have the playpark that was built in her name, something at Mill Creek or even the Riverfront would be nice. In the end any memorial for her should be approved by her family above all else. I would be supportive of the Mik'Maw suggestion you made as well.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I mean....the entire point of naming something after someone is to etch them in history so that people don't forget, or that people who were too young to remember can learn about them. I don't think people will forget about her, but we can certainly make sure we do our best to keep that from happening. I agree with the sentiment above though that I don't necessarily see naming a bridge after her very fitting. Her legacy is about doing nice things for others without wanting anything in return. Not sure that ties in with infastructure like a bridge.

She does already have the playpark that was built in her name, something at Mill Creek or even the Riverfront would be nice. In the end any memorial for her should be approved by her family above all else. I would be supportive of the Mik'Maw suggestion you made as well.
My thoughts were similar to this.

And as a Mi’kmaq person, I see the relevance and argument for either name sake. They’re not just “building a bridge”.. it’s so much more than that. You could essentially word it as we’re bringing kindness back into the river system. Allowing that regrowth to flourish as an ecosystem. A similar message was of Rebecca’s, but kindness and growth as people.

And on the Mi’kmaq point of view, historically these are traditional mi’kmaq passageways that were critical to sustaining culture and livelihood. A structure allowing the revitalization of habitat would be respecting traditional ways and offering mutual respect to wildlife.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw31 View Post
My thoughts were similar to this.

And as a Mi’kmaq person, I see the relevance and argument for either name sake. They’re not just “building a bridge”.. it’s so much more than that. You could essentially word it as we’re bringing kindness back into the river system. Allowing that regrowth to flourish as an ecosystem. A similar message was of Rebecca’s, but kindness and growth as people.

And on the Mi’kmaq point of view, historically these are traditional mi’kmaq passageways that were critical to sustaining culture and livelihood. A structure allowing the revitalization of habitat would be respecting traditional ways and offering mutual respect to wildlife.
Thanks for sharing some additional insights, great to have your unique perspective on this! . This is pretty much the largest project I can remember in my lifetime that impacts Riverview, hopefully they don't just name it something generic like "Findlay Bridge". I'd love to see some more informational podiums added to the bridge walkway and paths around the Riverfront if they went that direction. They've recently added some to Mill Creek and its a nice touch.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 8:57 PM
Random Contributor

Riverkeeper Bridge - named to remind us of the damage we cause and the work that was done to correct it.

The original riverkeepers were the first nations. I would support a Mi’kmaq naming. We all have a responsibility to preserve and protect our environment.

Last edited by riverviewer; Mar 10, 2021 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:39 PM

So with Second Cup expanding in Canada including the Maritimes, if they do open a location in Riverview, where would the best location be? If they're looking for a lot of drive thru traffic, Coverdale or Hillsborough roads would seem like the logical choice.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:40 PM

Holy Whale Brewing bought the former bowling alley on Biggs Drive.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
Interesting. Production facility or a new tap room?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Interesting. Production facility or a new tap room?
possibly both. a former Bowling alley could probably handle both venues

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
Another indication that things are starting to ramp up for the imminent construction of The Current.

Holy Whale will have to vacate their riverfront location (at least temporarily) to allow for demolition of the Chocolate River Station, and the construction of The Current.

I hope they return to the riverfront as soon as construction is complete. Their location on the boardwalk was ideal, and I'm sure The Current would love to have them as one of their commercial tenants.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:19 PM

I agree. It was great spot to have a beer and see the sunset. It was always busy when i went too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Another indication that things are starting to ramp up for the imminent construction of The Current.

Holy Whale will have to vacate their riverfront location (at least temporarily) to allow for demolition of the Chocolate River Station, and the construction of The Current.

I hope they return to the riverfront as soon as construction is complete. Their location on the boardwalk was ideal, and I'm sure The Current would love to have them as one of their commercial tenants.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
possibly both. a former Bowling alley could probably handle both venues
Trailway Brewing in Fredericton operates a bowling alley called "the drome". As far as I know it does pretty well and still operating amidst the pandemic. So there's precedent a craft brewery/alley can work in this province.

It would definitely be a unique experience that would bring people from other areas of the city if you had a taproom w/bowling alley. These do really well in big cities. If they decide not to use the bowling alley they will have all the space they could ever need. I know they had reached capacity with their current tanks out in Alma.

Its also a nice addition to that end of riverview that hasn't seen a ton of change over the years, and several new apartment units gone up nearby. You have the hockey rink busy throughout the winter as well.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:04 AM

Went by the MoeMar apartment building site on Runneymeade Rd. and they're really making great progress. They've done as much or more so far this week than the Kensington has in 3 or 4 weeks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:01 PM

A couple of observations while out driving today: They've now started the 3rd floor on the apartment building under construction across from the Riverview mall. There was a crew working at Thrive Properties The Tides site on Coverdale Road this morning.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:49 PM

They were working at the Kensington apartment site this morning! Hopefully they ramp up construction, as it's been really slow going on this project so far. It's going to be a nice addition to the Fairways development when it's finished.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 8:22 PM

Not much longer now before the causeway closes. It will be interesting to see what happens traffic wise in Riverview. I think the work-from-home people will be glad they don't have to take the bridge, especially at peak traffic time.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Not much longer now before the causeway closes. It will be interesting to see what happens traffic wise in Riverview. I think the work-from-home people will be glad they don't have to take the bridge, especially at peak traffic time.
If the mayor of Moncton didnt have her head firmly in the sand she could help alleviate some of the traffic pain at least around rush hours. The mayor of Riverview has requested several times that lane closures be considered for the bridge when the causeway closes. 3 lanes Moncton bound in the morning and 3 lanes Riverview bound in the afternoon rush. Similar to many cities in the states do. Apparently its a non starter for Miss Arnold. Amusing that she had no trouble closing a lane on Main street last summer for no good reason but cant see the usefulness in the bridge case.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
If the mayor of Moncton didnt have her head firmly in the sand she could help alleviate some of the traffic pain at least around rush hours. The mayor of Riverview has requested several times that lane closures be considered for the bridge when the causeway closes. 3 lanes Moncton bound in the morning and 3 lanes Riverview bound in the afternoon rush. Similar to many cities in the states do. Apparently its a non starter for Miss Arnold. Amusing that she had no trouble closing a lane on Main street last summer for no good reason but cant see the usefulness in the bridge case.
So how would they do that?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The same they do for construction.... cones lol

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I do believe Halifax does alternate the directions of their lanes on one of their bridges ( the one with 3 lanes). At 6am 2 lanes go towards Halifax, at 2pm it reverses and 2 lanes head outbound. you have to watch overhead to ensure you are in the correct lane. This system is also used in Vancouver I believe and most likely other cities..

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I do believe Halifax does alternate the directions of their lanes on one of their bridges ( the one with 3 lanes). At 6am 2 lanes go towards Halifax, at 2pm it reverses and 2 lanes head outbound. you have to watch overhead to ensure you are in the correct lane. This system is also used in Vancouver I believe and most likely other cities..
Yes, I've seen it in Vancouver. Works great. There's a traffic light hanging above each lane, with either a green check mark or a red x indicating which lanes you can proceed on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces