HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Briggs Maples is decamping the Chocolate River Station and moving back to Hillsborough.

Not a surprise as the Chocolate River Station is now living on borrowed time, and will likely be demolished sometime later this year (or next) to allow for construction of The Current.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:30 PM

Will the Current have commercial space available in the building? Briggs Maples was the only tenant that had any track record of success at the Chocolate River Station, and I wonder if they'd consider moving back in.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Will the Current have commercial space available in the building? Briggs Maples was the only tenant that had any track record of success at the Chocolate River Station, and I wonder if they'd consider moving back in.
Yes there will be ground floor retail similar to 55 Queen.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Yes there will be ground floor retail similar to 55 Queen.
Thanks. The Holy Whale Brewing Co. were also doing well. They had a nice beer garden area set up outside where they served beverages out of their shipping container bar. They've since relocated inside to a beer hall type set up.

So along with Briggs Maples, there's two possible tenants for The Current. I'm curious to see whether or not Thrive Properties (Cordova) will start this major project in 2021.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 6:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I'm curious to see whether or not Thrive Properties (Cordova) will start this major project in 2021.
I am sure that 2022 is much more probable. The Tides is supposed to start in 2021 (along with several projects in Moncton).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I am sure that 2022 is much more probable. The Tides is supposed to start in 2021 (along with several projects in Moncton).
Sounds logical. The Tides will be a very nice addition to Coverdale Road. Great location, with excellent views of the river & the city. I wouldn't be surprised if it's fully leased even before the building is completed.

For a prime piece of land, that lot was for sale for years and years. It's nice to finally see it being developed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From a stylistic and architectural point of view, I much prefer The Tides, but that's just me.

There is however no question that The Current will be much more transformative for Coverdale Road though.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Briggs Maples is decamping the Chocolate River Station and moving back to Hillsborough.

Not a surprise as the Chocolate River Station is now living on borrowed time, and will likely be demolished sometime later this year (or next) to allow for construction of The Current.

When I saw these renderings, I could never figure out what those large brown rectangles are on the exterior of The Current. And what would be their purpose, does anybody know?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
When I saw these renderings, I could never figure out what those large brown rectangles are on the exterior of The Current. And what would be their purpose, does anybody know?
Artistic/archetectural features, to break up the look of the building basically. Nothing practical, just aesthetic I believe.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:23 AM

I'm a member of MGCC in Riverview and know for sure the Tides will begin work in the spring. They need to do some work on the retaining wall on their property and are working directly with MGCC because they will need to put some equipment on their driveway/entrancce.

In exchange will be repaving a good portion of the steep driveway. Its also expected that the Tides may try and do some other cross promoting between them and then golf course.

In other MGCC news the ballroom at the clubhouse has been completely renovated (flooring, lighting bar area etc) over the winter. This was done by Spruce & Iron who has moved their wedding business from the Chocolate River Station to the MGCC.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:10 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to have confirmation that "The Tides" will be starting construction this year. Also good to hear about the paving of the MGCC driveway - it sure needs it.

Cross promotion between the golf club and "The Tides" sounds like a good idea. What will this entail? Will residents get a deduction on golf club membership? This could be good for both businesses, as it will drive new tenants and new customers.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm a member of MGCC in Riverview and know for sure the Tides will begin work in the spring. They need to do some work on the retaining wall on their property and are working directly with MGCC because they will need to put some equipment on their driveway/entrancce.

In exchange will be repaving a good portion of the steep driveway. Its also expected that the Tides may try and do some other cross promoting between them and then golf course.

In other MGCC news the ballroom at the clubhouse has been completely renovated (flooring, lighting bar area etc) over the winter. This was done by Spruce & Iron who has moved their wedding business from the Chocolate River Station to the MGCC.
I wonder how much impact, if any, there will be for traffic on Coverdale with The Tides construction. With the closure of the causeway, I hope there will not be too much construction traffic but this could be really bad timing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Artistic/archetectural features, to break up the look of the building basically. Nothing practical, just aesthetic I believe.
That makes sense, I couldn't see any structural reason for them. I still don't like the looks of them though. Hopefully this won't be the final product.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:37 PM

I think I'm indifferent to the picture frames. I don't dislike them, but I don't love them either. At least it is a different look, that will make the building somewhat distinctive. Much better than the cookie cutter designs we've been complaining about with various other projects across the Maritimes.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I think I'm indifferent to the picture frames. I don't dislike them, but I don't love them either. At least it is a different look, that will make the building somewhat distinctive. Much better than the cookie cutter designs we've been complaining about with various other projects across the Maritimes.
That's true. Bottom line is we'll all just have to wait and see. This building won't happen for a few years because The Tides at 230 Coverdale Road will apparently be built first. The final design of The Current could be different than the renderings. Overall, Coverdale Road will look much different when both of these buildings are completed!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 3:28 PM

So with the new owners of Second Cup Coffee planning to expand sometime in the future, could Riverview be an option? There isn't much variety in coffee choices in town. I'd love to see it, but I'd be surprised if it happens.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
So with the new owners of Second Cup Coffee planning to expand sometime in the future, could Riverview be an option? There isn't much variety in coffee choices in town. I'd love to see it, but I'd be surprised if it happens.
Riverview definitely has a void in mid range to high range coffee. There's Damascus but they do basically no advertising and offer very little variety in terms of food and are not open past 4pm.

As a coffee snob living in Riverview it'd be nice to have another option besides McDonalds and Tims (which i refuse to pay for) . The only issues I see right now are that if you are a coffee place who wants to get people on their way in to work you need to be on coverdale road ideally.

Not sure if it'd be a great year to be getting set up on coverdale with the morning traffic commute issues this spring. On hand people may want a coffee for their wait to get over the bridge but on the other hand are people will to stop and give up their spot during rush hour ?

With the expansion of Mill Creek Park, the new apartments being built on that end of town (Kensington, Dobson landing) and the incoming rec centre I wonder if there's a piece of land in that area on gunningsville BLVD ?

I could see a stand alone coffee shop w/ drive thru working in the dobson landing development , but not sure if thats something they are looking for.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Riverview definitely has a void in mid range to high range coffee. There's Damascus but they do basically no advertising and offer very little variety in terms of food and are not open past 4pm.

As a coffee snob living in Riverview it'd be nice to have another option besides McDonalds and Tims (which i refuse to pay for) . The only issues I see right now are that if you are a coffee place who wants to get people on their way in to work you need to be on coverdale road ideally.

Not sure if it'd be a great year to be getting set up on coverdale with the morning traffic commute issues this spring. On hand people may want a coffee for their wait to get over the bridge but on the other hand are people will to stop and give up their spot during rush hour ?

With the expansion of Mill Creek Park, the new apartments being built on that end of town (Kensington, Dobson landing) and the incoming rec centre I wonder if there's a piece of land in that area on gunningsville BLVD ?

I could see a stand alone coffee shop w/ drive thru working in the dobson landing development , but not sure if thats something they are looking for.
That is the end of town that's growing the fastest. There's a lot of new homes being constructed, and there's often a sold sign on them before construction is finished.

The model now seems to be a drive thru with smaller seating area. If they were to set up shop somewhere on Hillsborough Road, they would get a lot of drive by traffic. There's a lot of people coming up from Hillsborough, Lower Coverdale etc. I'm friends with someone at MoeMar homes, and the apartment building on Runneymead Rd. is the first of 8 buildings planned. So as time goes by, there'll be a lot more people in this part of town.

Still, I'd be surprised if Riverview would even be on Second Cup's radar.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:19 AM

Quote:
That is the end of town that's growing the fastest. There's a lot of new homes being constructed, and there's often a sold sign on them before construction is finished.

The model now seems to be a drive thru with smaller seating area. If they were to set up shop somewhere on Hillsborough Road, they would get a lot of drive by traffic. There's a lot of people coming up from Hillsborough, Lower Coverdale etc. I'm friends with someone at MoeMar homes, and the apartment building on Runneymead Rd. is the first of 8 buildings planned. So as time goes by, there'll be a lot more people in this part of town.

Still, I'd be surprised if Riverview would even be on Second Cup's radar.
This area is ripe for development in my opinion. They only have one gas station for heavens sake. There is 4 commercial lots along Hillsbourgh road, 2 lots on the bottom of Sawgrass and 2 lots on the bottom of Cobblestone, plus the corner of Bridgedale and Runnymede is zoned commercial. An Esso with a Robins donuts or a Subway, BK, A&W, or even a service business like a Mr Lube would do excellent there.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
This area is ripe for development in my opinion. They only have one gas station for heavens sake. There is 4 commercial lots along Hillsbourgh road, 2 lots on the bottom of Sawgrass and 2 lots on the bottom of Cobblestone, plus the corner of Bridgedale and Runnymede is zoned commercial. An Esso with a Robins donuts or a Subway, BK, A&W, or even a service business like a Mr Lube would do excellent there.
You would think that having a coffee shop to catch morning commuters coming from Hillsborough and east Riverview would be more convenient on the north side of Hillsborough road. The only spot I see is where the "future Dieppe/Riverview" bridge would go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces