HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 1:18 PM

Great news! Thanks for the update. Ponce should have had a connection at the beginning. Glad to see it’s finally occurring and with upgrades along Ponce too!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 11:11 PM

Gain a ramp to low density SFH neighborhoods and big box stores north of ponce (yes I know it’ll be a great connection- I agree despite my objections to the existing land use), lose the gateway trail several apartment complexes and to the retention pond at historic Fourth Ward Park. Even with the new elevator and stairs at the gateway trail as well as the new parkspace, I don’t get it. There will already be stairs and elevators as part of the new City project. The city didn’t need to hand over the land for a perfectly rounded underground parking deck for new city. New City should have designed their project based off the land they owned instead of requiring the demolition of an existing trail. And the parks department really shouldn’t have rejected a new ramp as replacement, which was offered to be paid by new city. New City is funding and maintaining the stairs and elevator though, for anyone curious.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:04 PM

Park update

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:27 PM

Ah man, barbed wire fence.. I guess it's needed cause there will be idiots who will try to climb over.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:53 AM

Bummer how much of the WST is along a street, White and now Marietta Blvd. Trails along streets remind me of the suburbs. They’re not bad to have, just not what I’d expect after this long. Presume they’re preserving ROW along the reservoir park for rail, even though northwest rail isn’t on any long term plan for Atlanta or the region? There’s a single track tunnel there that is prime for rail extension. Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe CSX still owns the land. Would need to check the parcel map.

At least kudzu is under construction and they’re connecting up to Huff, but geez not quite the same ambiance as feeling completely removed from automobiles.
https://beltlineorg-wpengine.netdna-...ng_6.22.20.pdf

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:32 PM

With all the time & money that has already been put into developing the park - I would hope they could come up with a better way to separate the public from the quarry drop-off than using a chain link fence.
Maybe it's temporary and they will add something more in keeping with the other quality projects in the park.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Bummer how much of the WST is along a street, White and now Marietta Blvd. Trails along streets remind me of the suburbs. They’re not bad to have, just not what I’d expect after this long. Presume they’re preserving ROW along the reservoir park for rail, even though northwest rail isn’t on any long term plan for Atlanta or the region? There’s a single track tunnel there that is prime for rail extension. Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe CSX still owns the land. Would need to check the parcel map.

At least kudzu is under construction and they’re connecting up to Huff, but geez not quite the same ambiance as feeling completely removed from automobiles.
The main issue with the trail being on Marietta Blvd is 70-80% of the traffic is 18 wheeler rigs. Not safe to have trucks that close to people walking and riding bikes.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
With all the time & money that has already been put into developing the park - I would hope they could come up with a better way to separate the public from the quarry drop-off than using a chain link fence.
Maybe it's temporary and they will add something more in keeping with the other quality projects in the park.
That is a huge liability- I'm sure that is needed to prevent teenagers from jumping the fence and playing around the cliffs. Perhaps in more visible areas they will have a better fence put in years from now...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I too wish the connection between the park and water was a little more thoughtful.. but it's worth noting: The chain link/barbed wire section is along the greenspace and at the actual overlook a nicer fence treatment was used.

https://twitter.com/SmokinJoe501/sta...387392/photo/1

Last edited by ATLarchitect; Jun 23, 2020 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Linked post - image would not load.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:25 PM

So the water won't fill up anymore than where it's at now? I thought on the rendering, it would fill up to near full to the point where it would look like a lake rather than a lake inside a crater. I don't mind either way.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 7:09 PM

Water is still filling up. Fence is likely in place as is to keep people out as people can die from the current drop off. Here’s some renderings from a few years ago:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post

I am honestly shocked that early 2021 is the projected start date for this segment.

The most interesting part to me is the Marietta Blvd bridge. One, it's currently one of the worst bridges I can think of. There is literally a giant hole on one end that is blocked off, preventing a regular right turn onto the bridge. Second, every fifth vehicle is a semi. A bridge crossing over West Marietta Street should be considered. I wouldn't feel safe walking/waiting to cross. A dream scenario would be an alternate route for the semis to get from NS to Marietta Blvd.

To make it even worse, there is a gas station going up there and the back is facing Marietta Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I am honestly shocked that early 2021 is the projected start date for this segment.

The most interesting part to me is the Marietta Blvd bridge. One, it's currently one of the worst bridges I can think of. There is literally a giant hole on one end that is blocked off, preventing a regular right turn onto the bridge. Second, every fifth vehicle is a semi. A bridge crossing over West Marietta Street should be considered. I wouldn't feel safe walking/waiting to cross. A dream scenario would be an alternate route for the semis to get from NS to Marietta Blvd.

To make it even worse, there is a gas station going up there and the back is facing Marietta Blvd.

The Beltline is putting as little money as possible into this bridge as it will likely be replaced within 20 years. Any new bridge will be outfitted with a proper pedestrian facilities.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:51 PM

Westside Park update

If this is the location of the barbed wire fence, I get it.

https://twitter.com/SmokinJoe501/sta...18086457409536

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:03 PM

Any updates when the park will open? No idea why its being kept so hush hush.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:30 PM

Multi-level Viewing Platform Location?

Question - Is the proposed multi-level viewing platform structure going to be located in the middle of the larger paved/concrete semi-circular area that is in front of the quarry edge that is cleared of trees?
I see two semi-circular areas in the pictures - one larger at a lower elevation and one smaller at a higher elevation.
I have had trouble placing the multi-level platform from looking at the renderings.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Any updates when the park will open? No idea why its being kept so hush hush.
City of Atlanta Department of Parks and Recreation

Virtual Public Meeting | Northwest Atlanta | ActivateATL

Looks like late summer...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 10:18 PM

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:10 PM

Gorgeous photo. Westside Park is such an incredible opportunity to improve the quality of life in the city.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:23 PM

We need someone to photoshop the jail and the power lines out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta