HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:41 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
The Montreal General Hospital is a giant complex of red brick buildings perched on the mountain near downtown Montreal. It's got an entrance of Cote-des-Neiges road but it's main entrance is on Cedar further uphill.

It was built between 1952 and 1955 by architect firm McDougall, Smith & Fleming, which was prominent during the post-war modernism sweeping the city . It's a weird blend of mid-century modernism and touches of art-deco. The height of the main 23 storey tower is 95m, which in 1955 would have made it Montreal's 5th tallest building, and probably the 10th tallest in Canada.

screencap by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-25-25 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-25-14 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-24-42 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-25-36 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-26-14 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-26-29 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

2021-03-30_04-26-41 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

If you get close enough to it you'll find little gems like these:

2021-03-30_04-34-59 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

The parking area on CDN has some neat views of the city

2021-03-30_04-25-53 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Officially the hospital's main entrance is on Cedar Avenue, 30m uphill.

Montreal_General_Hospital_in_March_Series_05 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

The Cedar parking has some nice views of downtown as well:

Downtown_Montreal_in_March_Series_03 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr
The MG in 1954

Montreal General Hospital 1954 by dianp, on Flickr

View from the 18th floor in 1954

View from Montreal General Hospital 1954 by dianp, on Flickr

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Mar 31, 2021 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
How many of Canada's hospitals have you used over your lifetime?

I have always been reasonably fit and healthy, but was shocked to realize how many I have been treated at: 13.

Saguenay (Hôpital de Chicoutimi)
Montréal (Montréal General)
Ottawa (Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus)
Edmonton (Royal Alexandra)
Victoria (Royal Jubilee)
Toronto (Wellesley, Toronto Western, Sunnybrook)
Vancouver(University, St Paul's, Vancouver General, White Rock, Royal Columbian)

Shocking!
I've had some health challenges in my life. Here are all the hospitals I've been through for treatment (including something as small as blood work) as far as I know. All but two in Ottawa. In no particular order.

General (I think);
Civic;
Heart Institute;
Montfort;
Riverside;
CHEO;
Bruyere;
Montreal Children's;
Gatineau Hospital.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:48 PM
Look at me!

edit

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Mar 31, 2021 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:55 PM

My mother was a nurse at the Montreal General, so while I've been lucky enough to never have had to be treated there, I've visited on many, many occasions and even attended the hospital daycare back in the day.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:20 PM

Some news on Gatineau's new hospital and reorganization of the Outaouais health care system from Le Droit. The new hospital will be located in Hull or Aylmer. It will have 600 beds (article has a detailed breakdown of the bed distribution). The Gatineau Hospital will retain some primary care functions, but will largely be converted to a mental health facility, leaving our current mental health hospital Pierre-Janet for other uses (rehab). The new McGill Faculty of Medicine will remain at the Gatineau Hospital.

The new hospital will cost $1.42B, while $100M will go into the Gatineau Hospital's transition and $25 million for logistics.

Quite exciting that both Ottawa and Gatineau will each be getting a major new hospital (Ottawa being a replacement of the aging Civic Hospital campus as opposed to an additional facility).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 4:46 PM
ARTchitecture

Alberta becomes third Canadian province to offer T-cell Cancer Treatment at Calgary's Tom Baker Cancer Centre. Clinical trials to develop a made-in-Alberta CAR T-cell therapy are underway at the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6000210

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 4:21 PM

The final design for the new Ottawa Civic Hospital has been released. The hospital complex will be linked to Dow's Lake station via a covered walkway. The parking garage will be topped by a green roof.

The hospital will have 640 beds, all in private rooms. That's an increase of 180 from the current Civic.

Along Carling will be a research tower and medical office buildings.

Buildings in bronze are existing or approved. In the second pic, there's a large building in the distance with a smoke stack at the rear, that's the current Civic.

More info: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ced-technology

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:32 PM

Screenshots taken from the presentation by OCCheetos and posted on RailFans Discord.

And most importantly, street level frontage on Carling.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:14 PM
ハルウララ

Ford and Elliott were in Windsor today announcing more money for the proposed megahospital outside of that city, so we'll revisit a 2019 article on the proposal:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...or-do-it-harm/

Will Windsor’s new hospital heal the city, or do it harm?
ALEX BOZIKOVIC
PUBLISHED MAY 6, 2019

Why would a government suck the life out of a city? That’s the question some Windsor locals are asking, as the city’s hospital system prepares to move its services and jobs to a greenfield on the city’s rural fringe.

The debate is heating up as a citizens’ group challenges the planning behind a proposed “megahospital” just outside this city of 200,000. The critics have it right: The “megahospital” scheme represents everything that is wrong with land-use planning in Canada.

This is about where we put our homes, our workplaces and our institutions. Too often, there is a gap between our society’s ostensible goals – denser, more walkable, more sustainable communities – and what we actually build: car-oriented sprawl.

The Windsor story is an egregious example. The decision, which will be challenged at a provincial tribunal this spring, is to create a new $2-billion regional hospital, about a dozen kilometres from the city core, on farmland next to Windsor’s airport. The Windsor Regional Hospital would close its Ouellette and Metropolitan campuses, both within the bounds of the historic city; most of their 4,000 employees would move to the new site.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:35 PM

Disappointing to hear. These types of hubs should be at the centre of the city to provide the best possible access to everyone, including those who may live in the inner-city with no car. In addition, what politicians seem to forget is that major events that could result in mass injuries, such as transit crashes, riots, building collapses or major fires, attacks, are often in the central city, so having your main medical facility near downtown reduces response time.

Of course, the suburbs also need health services, but those can be provided by health-hubs, or "mini-hospitals", such as the recently opened Orleans Health Hub. I believe the original plan did include some in-patient beds and an ER, but unfortunately, they were cut from the project.

https://carrefoursanteorleans.com/en...-first-clients

That said, Windsor does seem to have a few hospitals centrally located. Will this new hospital result in the closure of one or multiple existing facilities?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:47 PM

There are a few different reasons that location was chosen:
- The county and surrounding towns (Lasalle, Tecumseh, Lakeshore, Essex, Amherstburg) are growing faster than the City of Windsor. Major growth centres in the future are better served by this location than a downtown location. WRH also takes a lot of patients from Chatham, especially emergency rural patients that CKCHC cannot handle.
- The downtown area has a major sewer infrastructure deficit, with much of the old sewer lines in the downtown core being combined sewers. A new hospital of this size in the core would require major investments in sewer infrastructure that the city cannot afford and the province most likely won't want to pay for. This is the biggest reason why you see almost no major development projects in downtown Windsor today. This issue is slowly being solved, but it will take a long time.
- Greenfield construction for these types of facilities allows for lots of cheap, long-term expansion as the region grows.

I will agree that it is far from optimal from an urban standpoint, but the new hospital is necessary and there really aren't a lot of feasible options anymore. The two older hospitals are in terrible states of repair and flood constantly. Their campuses also can't be expanded due to lack of land and local sewer infrastructure deficits. I'm just happy this is slowly moving forward, it's been a long enough wait as it is. I hope that at least one of the city campuses is kept as a satellite facility and serious renovations can be done after the demand is taken off the old campuses.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
- The county and surrounding towns (Lasalle, Tecumseh, Lakeshore, Essex, Amherstburg) are growing faster than the City of Windsor. Major growth centres in the future are better served by this location than a downtown location. WRH also takes a lot of patients from Chatham, especially emergency rural patients that CKCHC cannot handle.
- The downtown area has a major sewer infrastructure deficit, with much of the old sewer lines in the downtown core being combined sewers. A new hospital of this size in the core would require major investments in sewer infrastructure that the city cannot afford and the province most likely won't want to pay for. This is the biggest reason why you see almost no major development projects in downtown Windsor today. This issue is slowly being solved, but it will take a long time.
- Greenfield construction for these types of facilities allows for lots of cheap, long-term expansion as the region grows.

I will agree that it is far from optimal from an urban standpoint, but the new hospital is necessary and there really aren't a lot of feasible options anymore. The two older hospitals are in terrible states of repair and flood constantly. Their campuses also can't be expanded due to lack of land and local sewer infrastructure deficits. I'm just happy this is slowly moving forward, it's been a long enough wait as it is. I hope that at least one of the city campuses is kept as a satellite facility and serious renovations can be done after the demand is taken off the old campuses.

The Ouellette Avenue campus is staying open to serve the city core as an urgent care centre.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post

Interesting to know.

Having been in hospitals that have been kludges on kludges, a brand new facility is kind of nice. It just works better as it was conceived as one thing.

Super-hospitals - if done right - can actually be kind of a boon for putting multiple services under one roof in moderately-sized cities where different hospitals used to coordinate different aspects of healthcare.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:54 PM

The new Windsor hospital will be serving all of Windsor and Essex County, which has about 425K residents, so it’s not just for the 230K that live in the city. It will still be built entirely within the city on the last large section of the municipality that is already designated for development, so the location makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately, that means that most services will be removed from DT.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:11 PM

Thanks for the background everyone. It makes the decision a little more palpable. If they keep the Ouellette Avenue campus, I hope they can at least invest in some improvements, maybe a small expansion to make up for some of what may be lost.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thanks for the background everyone. It makes the decision a little more palpable. If they keep the Ouellette Avenue campus, I hope they can at least invest in some improvements, maybe a small expansion to make up for some of what may be lost.
There will be a Satellite emergency department at the Ouellette site and all mental health and addiction care will be consolidated on Prince Rd. in west Windsor.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 6:32 AM
Ocean Breeze

New St. Paul's Hospital - Vancouver

2021 - Vancouver - New St. Paul's Hospital Site - 10
by Ted McGrath, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:32 PM

Proposed mega-hospital in Mississauga. 22 floors, 2.8 million square feet. 950 rooms, 80% private

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/new-mi...tal-renderings

New Civic is chugging along. Parking garage is up for approval, with its roof top park, retail, tennis courts and public washrooms. No word yet on if Dow's Lake Station will be expanded or how it will connect.

To compare to Mississauga, Civic will be 2.5 million square feet initially, 640 beds over 12 floor max height, all private. Much larger site to work with. Ultimately, it will have 1,200 beds after expansions, including the Ottawa Heart Institute, set to move from the old Civic to the new around 2045 (they just completed an expansion).

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0159/details

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:54 PM

Monster of a hospital for Mississauga. I'm sure some will be harsh regarding its appearance but I think it's decent for such an imposing structure.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 12:20 PM

Site for the new 600 bed Gatineau Hospital has been chosen. Closer to downtown than the previously preferred Boulevard de la Technologie (north end of Hull, near Chelsea) or Asticou (secondary street, no transit, pretty much in Gatineau Park).

Site is currently a industrial zone with a mix of City and private assets, so plenty of expropriation needed. On the RapiBus, and near Saint-Joseph main street (though not really accessible without pedestrian bridges. Plenty of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
La CAQ fait volte-face et choisit un nouveau terrain pour le futur hôpital de l’Outaouais
Le campus santé sera construit plus près du centre-ville, dans le secteur de Hull, mais nécessitera l’expropriation de plusieurs commerces et entreprises.

Daniel Leblanc, Radio-Canada
Publié hier à 18 h 21

Aux prises avec une forte grogne locale, le gouvernement de la Coalition avenir Québec (CAQ) a finalement opté pour un nouveau terrain pour le futur hôpital de Gatineau, qui avait fait l’objet d’une promesse électorale en 2018.

Selon les informations obtenues par Radio-Canada, Québec annoncera jeudi matin que le nouveau campus santé de 600 lits de l’Outaouais sera situé en pleine ville, dans un parc industriel le long de la rue d'Edmonton dans le secteur de Hull.

Le terrain est aux abords de l’autoroute 5 et se trouve non loin du Casino du Lac-Leamy. Le Centre hospitalier affilié universitaire (CHAU) de l'Outaouais sera construit dans un quadrilatère où se trouvent un poste de police, des terrains municipaux et plusieurs commerces et entreprises.

Québec avait initialement opté pour un terrain en banlieue nord de Gatineau, le long du boulevard de la Technologie, mais a dû se raviser après avoir essuyé une série de critiques.

Le nouveau terrain nécessitera des expropriations, ce qui était vu comme un désavantage dans le processus d’évaluation des terrains. Toutefois, la Ville de Gatineau se serait engagée à participer activement au processus.

"La Ville a clairement établi sa préférence pour ce site-là", a expliqué une source au sein du gouvernement du Québec. "C’est un terrain qui est assez grand pour construire le campus santé qu’on veut construire, et on sera capable aussi de faire des développements futurs. On construit un hôpital pour 100 ans."

La promesse de construire un nouvel hôpital est populaire en Outaouais, une ancienne forteresse libérale où la CAQ a fait une percée aux élections de 2018 en gagnant trois sièges sur cinq.

L’Outaouais dépend en partie de l’Ontario en matière de soins de santé et se sent souvent en queue de peloton au Québec en matière d’accès aux services médicaux.

Toutefois, une vaste coalition de gens d’affaires, d’élus municipaux et d’activistes locaux ont forcé le gouvernement à retourner à la planche à dessin ce printemps, critiquant le choix initial d’un terrain au nord de la ville avec un piètre accès au transport en commun.

De nombreux acteurs, dont des promoteurs immobiliers, souhaitaient que l’hôpital soit plus près du centre-ville de Gatineau.

La mairesse France Bélisle avait enjoint Québec de revoir ses plans plus tôt cette année. Elle a annoncé mercredi qu’elle allait se rallier au choix final de terrain effectué par le gouvernement.

"À partir du moment où le site est annoncé, la Ville de Gatineau devient un partenaire champion", a-t-elle déclaré.

Le nouveau terrain, situé à l’intérieur d’un quadrilatère délimité par la rue d'Edmonton, le boulevard de la Carrière et la rue Adrien-Robert, est tout près du Rapibus, de deux bretelles d’autoroute, d’un réseau de pistes cyclables et d’un espace vert qui entoure le lac Leamy.

Le choix du nouveau terrain a été fait d’un commun accord avec la Ville de Gatineau et nécessitera l’utilisation de terrains municipaux, de même que l’expropriation de terrains privés le long de la rue d'Edmonton, tout près de l’autoroute 5.

Le périmètre de plus de 300 000 mètres carrés inclut un poste de police de la ville de Gatineau de même que des ateliers municipaux. Il y a des hôtels, des commerces et des restaurants à proximité.

Dans le jargon du gouvernement, ce terrain est connu sous le nom de "site #22".

Selon des sources gouvernementales, Québec a étudié une trentaine d'endroits différents avant d’en arriver au choix final.

"Il n’y a aucun terrain qui est parfait, dans le sens où chacun avait des avantages et chacun avait des contraintes", a affirmé une de nos sources.

Après avoir pris un "pas de côté" ce printemps pour refaire ses devoirs, le gouvernement a concentré son attention sur une demi-douzaine d’emplacements.

Selon nos sources, des tests sur un terrain près du Réno-Dépôt, situé à proximité du nouveau terrain, auraient relevé des niveaux préoccupants de méthane dans le contexte où le terrain servira à un établissement de santé

Des endroits plus au centre-ville ont aussi été écartés. Les terrains autour du Centre Robert-Guertin auraient requis la destruction de l’École secondaire de l'Île, alors que les terrains autour de l’entreprise de matériaux de construction Pilon Ltée incluent un chemin de fer.

Québec avait un penchant pour des terrains autour du Centre Asticou, plus à l’ouest aux abords du parc de la Gatineau, mais la préférence de la Ville pour le terrain #22 a été un facteur déterminant dans le choix final.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...q-campus-sante

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada