HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Peebles and McKissack recently discussed this tower on a radio show called The Breakfast Club. I never heard of the show.

I tried to copy and paste the interview from Youtube but could not for some reason. Maybe someone else can.

I've seen it. It's about an hour long, and they spoke about the tower itself briefly, which is why I didn't post it. We're here to talk about this proposal, whichever is selected. And so far, the Affirmation Tower is all we have to talk about. We're not here to discuss tastes in music, or radio hosts.

That being said, I did post the relative information from that interview, which is that Affirmation Tower is financed, and ready to move forward, should it be selected.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:50 PM
BANNED

It’s amazing that it’s already financed.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
It’s amazing that it’s already financed.
The team that came together for the proposal seems intent to get it built, at least somewhere in the city. But this would be an ideal location for such a project, no need to go through a NIMBY infested approvals process, because it was already rezoned as part of the Hudson Yards. It would also be a state development. They are pushing for the height as a plus, something that is rare in the city. Most of the time, the height is just happenstance, but here, Peebles previously said the proposal was 200 ft shorter, and he pushed for the greater height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:34 AM
BANNED

I agree. Witkoff is completely behind the scenes for the public and the politicians, but he’s the driving force here. I doubt that this would be financed without him.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I agree. Witkoff is completely behind the scenes for the public and the politicians, but he’s the driving force here. I doubt that this would be financed without him.
I doubt Witkoff is the driving force. Any of the previous interviews posted could tell you that. Witkoff was brought in for previous skyscraper experience, as was required by the bid.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I doubt Witkoff is the driving force. Any of the previous interviews posted could tell you that. Witkoff was brought in for previous skyscraper experience, as was required by the bid.
What has Peebles built in NY? He was involved in the old clock tower building by City Hall, but I can’t recall anything else. Witkoff, by contrast, is a very powerful developer whom banks and tenants respect.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
What has Peebles built in NY? He was involved in the old clock tower building by City Hall, but I can’t recall anything else. Witkoff, by contrast, is a very powerful developer whom banks and tenants respect.
You seem to think that anyone who ever builds anything in New York has only ever built in New York. This development team is just that, a team, that's part Peebles, part McKissack, part Livingston, and part Witkoff. That you don't know what the others have been involved in is on you, and doesn't affect the bid process. Peebles current largest development is the planned Angels Landing complex in LA - which hasn't been built. McKissack has been involved in projects larger than this one in the city, though this would be her companies first in the city as development partner.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You seem to think that anyone who ever builds anything in New York has only ever built in New York. This development team is just that, a team, that's part Peebles, part McKissack, part Livingston, and part Witkoff. That you don't know what the others have been involved in is on you, and doesn't affect the bid process. Peebles current largest development is the planned Angels Landing complex in LA - which hasn't been built. McKissack has been involved in projects larger than this one in the city, though this would be her companies first in the city as development partner.

Video Link
I’m well aware of every entity involved in this project.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 3:21 AM

Why the heck is Affirmation still the only proposal for this site?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
It isn't and hasn't ever been. It's just the only one we've seen.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 4:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I’m well aware of every entity involved in this project.
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
There were 6 proposals for this site. Affirmation Tower is the only one we knew about, and is also the only one we definitely know will resubmit when the new RFP comes out. The others will probably rebid as well, but a lot depends on the terms of the RFP, exactly what will be required.

A look back at what the criteria for selection was in the original RFP...

Of particular note is the treatment of affordable housing, which became a sticking point for Hochul. It was never mandatory, nor sensible, which is why there were no bids to include it. The site has a 24 FAR, with 12 FAR max for residential (the state limit, something the governor also wants to change). Of that 12 FAR, 30 % would have to be affordable.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 1:17 PM
BANNED

I can’t access the full article. I assume that she mentions this tower.

https://therealdeal.com/2022/04/13/t...issack-daniel/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 1:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I can’t access the full article. I assume that she mentions this tower.

https://therealdeal.com/2022/04/13/t...issack-daniel/
Thought this was posted already, but not much was said beyond disappointment the rfp was pulled.

Quote:
I am disappointed that the RFP has been canceled, and I hope that they are really considering the community around this area. We hope that [the state] will get it together quick, and get the RFP up soon so that we can continue to pursue this project. We are going to go after this with all that we have.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 2:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thought this was posted already, but not much was said beyond disappointment the rfp was pulled.
Thanks. It just appeared on my TheRealdeal.com feed so I thought it was new.

It seems that Hochul's facing some problems in getting elected so I guess this will be on the back burner until after November.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 6:41 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/...uality-harlem/

Minority developers convene to discuss construction equality

BY JESSI MITCHELL
MAY 12, 2022

Quote:
…..The conference also featured developers of the proposed $3.5 billion Affirmation Tower project. The minority-led team aims to build one of the tallest buildings in the world in a vacant state-owned lot across the street from the Javits Center.

They have dedicated 35%, or more than $1 billion, to minority and women-owned business enterprises.

“This is an opportunity to have an inflection point and change the paradigm," said Craig Livingston, managing partner at Exact Capital and member of the Affirmation Tower team.

The Affirmation Tower developers are still hopeful the project can move forward, in one location or another.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
The Affirmation Tower developers are still hopeful the project can move forward, in one location or another.
Another location??? Which??

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Another location??? Which??
Upside-down at 2WTC.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 1:08 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.commercialsearch.com/new...-more-diverse/

By IvyLee Rosario
June 30, 2022

Quote:
Could you provide any updates on the Affirmation Tower project and your role?

McKissack Daniel: McKissack will operate as an owner on the development team and provide construction management services to build the $3.5 billion building. The RFP was canceled back in December, and we understand it is being reworked to include housing.

Recently, as announced by the Hochul administration, it is my understanding that this RFP will be coming back on the street. We are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to pursue this again. Affirmation Tower to us is something we absolutely have to make sure is built in New York. Whether it’s through ESD (Empire State Development), which is our first preference, or if it’s with another piece of land or government entity, we feel that Affirmation Tower definitely needs to be built.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
I hope this tower can be built.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:17 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
I hope this tower can be built.
Definitely agree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals