HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
This mandate will absolutely kill the drive in market from surrounding states. The vaccine mandate was already having a chilling effect, but this will just tank tourism numbers even further. Everyone is better off going to Mobile for Mardi Gras this year. If anyone decides to come here, stick to Metairie for the Mardi Gras parades. No vax or mask mandate there.
Which speaks to a larger change and is probably something discussed on the thread already, but for people living in more conservative areas have you seen an increase in visitors?

It's really hard to say where I'm at in OC if there's an increase in visitors because it is always busy, but ancedottally I do know folks in LA County that tell me they're jealous OC didn't have a mask mandate or vax requirement. I could be at one chain in OC and not have to wear a mask but go to the same chain in LA County and have to. Very strange.

I know when we were doing our road trips the past 18 months that hotels in the South seemed to charge more on average than the ones in CA which were super low in price.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:55 AM

Sewer samples from Altamonte Springs, FL (near Orlando) shows ~70% of the population is infected right now (most don't know it and probably have no symptoms). Crazy how fast omicron spreads across a town or city. I can't imagine that in a month or so there will be any one left that hasn't either been vaccinated or had the virus.
https://www.local10.com/news/florida...e-expert-says/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Sewer samples from Altamonte Springs, FL (near Orlando) shows ~70% of the population is infected right now (most don't know it and probably have no symptoms). Crazy how fast omicron spreads across a town or city. I can't imagine that in a month or so there will be any one left that hasn't either been vaccinated or had the virus.
This is actually good news......

That means we are approaching herd immunity

Which means Summer 2022 will be "Hot Girl Summer II to the 3rd" - Get it? 2022 has 3 "2"s in it........

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

^^
Good news, that means this fear mongering is almost over perhaps. Although the media will probably continue harping on about endless non deadly “surges” for at least another 2-6 years.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post

Our shit-for-brain leaders are essentially just in the bag of the pharmaceutical lobby, spending billions of our tax dollars on worthless testing. Literally they are doubling down on "test to stay", a completely useless (and corrupt) strategy that will do nothing for anyone anywhere.

Thousands of years of wisdom are down the toilet as we basically unlearn what we have already known forever. Let the kids be together in school, let them spread the infection around, and thereby develop their immunity to this glorified cold.

But nope. Abbott labs wouldn't want to let that happen......

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:55 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Five people out of my office that employs eleven people are out with covid, and more of our clients are reporting symptoms and positive tests by the day, and need to be seen in their cars. Fun!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Five people out of my office that employs eleven people are out with covid, and more of our clients are reporting symptoms and positive tests by the day, and need to be seen in their cars. Fun!
It’s time to take our medicine (pun intended).

If being vaccinated doesn’t prevent you from getting Covid, then there is no way to prevent getting Covid beyond the short-term, as all other protocols can only be short-term solutions.

This step is everyone, vaccinated or not, getting Covid. Hopefully it continues to mutate into something even more benign. The next step is to stop the testing and just have a cultural norm of staying home if you’re noticeably sick, not “positive” but asymptomatic. Longer term it’s just going to be something we are all getting periodically but not a big deal (and usually not even something we are aware of).
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 10:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

My family finally got the omicron!

We're all vaxxed so no one is seriously ill, just some sniffles/sneezes/coughs so far (fingers crossed).

The biggest irritation of this is that my kids can't go to school for the quarantine period, and this is literally on the same day that CPS School BUILDINGS just reopened.

Sonofabitch!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 12, 2022 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Probably the only thing Fauci has said that is correct. Everyone is going to get it even if you don't know it. You may already have had it.
People are just going to have to adapt to the new normal and stop concentrating only on vaccinations as a cure all. Even major hospitals are now letting COVID positive healthcare workers back to work now. No quarantine required.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...bout-everybody

Dr. Fauci: Omicron will infect 'just about everybody'

The Hill ^ | 01/12/2022 | Lexi Lonas

Infectious disease expert and White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that “just about everybody” will eventually be infected with the omicron variant of the coronavirus.

“Omicron, with its extraordinary, unprecedented degree of efficiency of transmissibility, will, ultimately, find just about everybody,” Fauci told the Center for Strategic and International Studies during a “fireside chat.”

"Those who have been vaccinated and vaccinated and boosted would get exposed. Some, maybe a lot of them, will get infected but will very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well in the sense of not having hospitalization and death,” he added.

Omicron is the most transmissible variant to appear so far, but seems to cause fewer hospitalizations and deaths than previous mutations of the virus.

Fauci’s comment follows a similar remark Janet Woodcock, acting commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, made at a Senate hearing Tuesday, when she said “it’s hard to process what’s actually happening right now, which is most people are going to get COVID.”

Fauci defended Woodcock’s remarks in a COVID-19 briefing Wednesday saying Woodcock did not mean to imply “most of us were ultimately going to get sick with COVID.”

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:58 PM

Oh shit, now will our resident germophobe change his tune now that his lord and savior Dr. Fauci has said what I’ve been saying for months?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:18 AM

The one good thing about Omicron (besides being milder)?

It continues to move the remote work needle further and further....

Robinhood is now going permanently remote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/robi...employees.html

Another couple of recent articles showing this trend has only grown in the last several months:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...real-this-time

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...wing-rcna11323

More cow bell!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:30 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Oh shit, now will our resident germophobe change his tune now that his lord and savior Dr. Fauci has said what I’ve been saying for months?
Anyone who believes that they will not be repeatedly exposed to omicron over and over and over again, has their head firmly planted in the sand.

This one is kooky contagious.

The only way to avoid it at this point is to seal yourself in a bubble, under a rock, at the bottom of a cave, on the dark side of the moon.

Omicron is gonna find you!

And it does not matter if you think it won't.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 13, 2022 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:50 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
The one good thing about Omicron (besides being milder)?

It continues to move the remote work needle further and further....

Robinhood is now going permanently remote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/robi...employees.html

Another couple of recent articles showing this trend has only grown in the last several months:

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...real-this-time

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...wing-rcna11323

More cow bell!
I normally hate WFH but in my current situation, I'd welcome it since it means I wouldn't have to relocate to the Bay Area (or Austin) and save on additional rent and expenses.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 6:22 AM

it is going away in Detroit now, but I mean everybody new people that caught it, or caught it themselves, i guess the next one gonna clobber us

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
it is going away in Detroit now, but I mean everybody new people that caught it, or caught it themselves, i guess the next one gonna clobber us
Why would the next one clobber us? That’s not how virus evolution works.

It may just be that all of these lockdowns and restrictions (including travel restrictions) have just made it take longer to reach this inevitable point. Once over-50s had all been given the chance to be vaccinated (whether they took it or not), we should have just let it rip. But fucking morons have been convinced that even their damn kids are at risk so here we are still with bullshit masks and (in some places) social distancing and pre-flight tests, etc.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why would the next one clobber us? That’s not how virus evolution works.

It may just be that all of these lockdowns and restrictions (including travel restrictions) have just made it take longer to reach this inevitable point. Once over-50s had all been given the chance to be vaccinated (whether they took it or not), we should have just let it rip. But fucking morons have been convinced that even their damn kids are at risk so here we are still with bullshit masks and (in some places) social distancing and pre-flight tests, etc.
I am not a COVID-is-just-the-flu type at all, but the number of people I know who are totally freaked out and paranoid that their (single or double-vaccinated and perfectly healthy) kids are going to get COVID and die just boggles my mind.

Statistically speaking, the drive in a car to the vaccination centre is way more likely to kill your kid than either the vaccine or COVID itself.

(I am also pro-vaccine BTW.)

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:19 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
6 people out of office of 11 out with covid and several more clients having to be seen outside.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not a COVID-is-just-the-flu type at all, but the number of people I know who are totally freaked out and paranoid that their (single or double-vaccinated and perfectly healthy) kids are going to get COVID and die just boggles my mind.

Statistically speaking, the drive in a car to the vaccination centre is way more likely to kill your kid than either the vaccine or COVID itself.

(I am also pro-vaccine BTW.)
As a technical matter, Covid (or SARS-CoV-2) is obviously not the flu. It’s a different species of virus. But the danger it poses has been grotesquely overblown almost from the start. I say almost because more caution was justified right at the beginning, when nobody knew what it was, but the restrictions should have lasted weeks, not months (let alone years).

People forget that the flu kills as well, in quite large numbers. There have been flu strains with mortality rates much higher than this coronavirus (and not just the Spanish flu). And many of them posed much greater danger to people who were not, due to age or co-morbodities generally caused by their own indifference to their health, already more prone to die sooner rather than later.

And yet, we’ve never shut down the world, locked people down, banned travel, required them to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on tests, self-isolate at home even without symptoms, etc. It’s been a ridiculous two years.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:55 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yes, hopefully all of the people that caused this insanity are able to reflect on how stupid and gullible to propaganda they’ve been in like ten years. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’d surmise in 5 years there will still be tons of loons wearing masks and still worried, pushing for restrictions and social distancing.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:16 PM
The City

I just sent a guy back to the hospital who spent a month there. Nonsmoker, 50 year old healthy male. He spent a month in the hospital with COVID Pneumonia. His lungs are trashed, he was sent home on 5L of Oxygen. When he saw me I diagnosed him with a pneumothorax (collapsed lung). He had to go back to the hospital and be readmitted to the ICU. This was caused by COVID.

He never got vaccinated.

Another guy wanted me to prescribe him hydroxychloroquine even though he has COVID with very mild symptoms (sniffles, sore throat, etc). I said that that medicine is useless and I'm not in the business of treating people with garbage. I told him that if he wanted to do something meaningful, he should have gotten vaccinated. He said he will "never" get vaccinated. I could read his political stripes just through this interaction.

There are morons everywhere. But the vaccine is the single most important thing we have. The people who are still scared after vaccination and boosting are equally moronic. They need to be shaken from this mass delusion as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions