Neighborhood: Garden Court
Floors: 13
Height: 156 feet

Project Renderings:

Aerials of the site (highlighted in red):

Current site:

See It Here First: Thirteen-Story Tower Coming to 48th & Spruce

Quote:
The Garden Court Community Association (GCCA) informed us that a proposal at 4726-28 Spruce St. is on tap.

So what’s in store? A 13-story apartment tower with 170 units, parking for 28 cars and 76 bikes, and almost 40K sqft of commercial space. Per a summary of this by-right project, a $1.8M payment will be made into Housing Trust Fund, which will go toward affordable housing in the neighborhood.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...to-48th-spruce

Last edited by summersm343; May 8, 2022 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:57 PM

If built as designed, would this be the first green wall on the exterior of a building in the city?

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 8:31 PM

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Summers and other Philly contributors. We have the best threads because you guys put effort into each one. Anyone ever pop into other cities' threads and come away disappointed? I feel like whenever I check out proposals or U/C buildings from other cities, those threads don't always include a rendering on the first page! (NYC pages are the worst, they never include renderings and you have to scroll through pages and pages to eventually find them). I thought the first post of each thread was supposed to contain renderings and other key info and yet it seems like the Philly threads are the only ones that follow this. So kudos to you guys!

As for this specific proposal...love the height and not really out of place either. Way better than what's there now. But the design is that bland, overplayed formula: traditional base "to blend in" with a disjointed, contemporary tower on top. But overall, no complaints.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 9:01 PM

Thanks McBane! Appreciate that!

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:42 PM
PHL

Happy to see some height so far west. Overall I like the project. I don't think the white paneling will age well, but the rest of the tower looks very nice.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 11:11 PM

I wonder how much this cost to build. Anyone know?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 12:45 AM

July CDR Submission is up for this one

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Just wanted to give a shoutout to Summers and other Philly contributors. We have the best threads because you guys put effort into each one. Anyone ever pop into other cities' threads and come away disappointed? I feel like whenever I check out proposals or U/C buildings from other cities, those threads don't always include a rendering on the first page! (NYC pages are the worst, they never include renderings and you have to scroll through pages and pages to eventually find them). I thought the first post of each thread was supposed to contain renderings and other key info and yet it seems like the Philly threads are the only ones that follow this. So kudos to you guys!

As for this specific proposal...love the height and not really out of place either. Way better than what's there now. But the design is that bland, overplayed formula: traditional base "to blend in" with a disjointed, contemporary tower on top. But overall, no complaints.
Agree, McBiz! They (Summers, et al) really maintain a great atmosphere on the threads with renderings and relevant commentary. Deeply appreciated.

And also agree that the design feels bland, but enjoy the density happening, and feels like the area can handle it well. I'm really interested in the adjacent park and the quality of it. Increasing investment in that public space would be good for new and existing residents.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post

And also agree that the design feels bland, but enjoy the density happening, and feels like the area can handle it well. I'm really interested in the adjacent park and the quality of it. Increasing investment in that public space would be good for new and existing residents.
Are you referring to the sports field catty corner to this project? I believe the adjacent greenery you see in the renderings is an elevated private access greenspace only open to the residents of that garden court plaza building.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbles View Post
Are you referring to the sports field catty corner to this project? I believe the adjacent greenery you see in the renderings is an elevated private access greenspace only open to the residents of that garden court plaza building.
I believe the field catty corner is (Old)West Philly High School's old football field. I am not sure who controls it now that the High School Moved and the old High School is being renovated for condos, I believe.

Speaking of those condo's (The West Philly H.S.) building, Are they finished with that? It seems to have been the longest build out ever!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:42 PM

Update: More Details for Apartment Tower at 48th & Spruce

Site location:

Current site:

Current site:

Project renderings:

Quote:
The properties at 4746-48 Spruce St. sit in the middle of a few converging neighborhoods, with Garden Court, Walnut Hill, and Spruce Hill mixing together along this stretch. Several blocks to the west is the busy 52nd Street corridor which we visited a few months ago. An equidistant walk to the east and you will quickly feel the campus-like vibes as you approach the western edge of UPenn. But if we may refocus your attention to the corner of 48th & Spruce, we have some updates on the project that we told you about just last month.

Both of these low-rise structures appear to be vacant, hopefully indicating things will be moving forward soon. And what shall we be moving forward to? A 170-unit apartment tower from PZS Architects, including 28 car spaces, 76 bike spaces, and a boatload of commercial space over multiple floors. One cool feature that we didn’t know last go-round is that the second-floor commercial space will have access to an outdoor area.
Read/view more here:

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:06 PM

YIMBY Shares Detailed Plans For 12-Story Building At 4746-48 Spruce Street In Garden Court

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/07/yimb...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 2:22 AM

Surprise, surprise! This site and the plans are up for sale:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ties-sale.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals