HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 9:03 PM
Cascadia Rising

For me, above anything else is that understanding in the back of my mind that we're overdue for the Cascadia subduction zone earthquake. It's not going to be pretty. BUT - every day has its own dangers so no need to sit and worry.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 9:15 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
in st louis red lights are a suggestion, and its common for cars to drive around other cars sitting at a red…
That's wild to hear and I can't really imagine it in person, but sounds extremely dangerous. Lots of people end up running reds in Toronto but it's more of a thing where they try and push the yellow. Terrible traffic mixed with the zero enforcement aspect mentioned before.

It's funny - I heard all the rumours about how you shouldn't stop at a red in Johannesburg if there's no traffic but honestly people seemed to obey traffic signals pretty well. So long as they were working of course, and the general road safety was not... good. Ditto for New Orleans and Detroit where I've seen people waiting at a red at deserted intersections. Detroit was actually very easy to drive in from my experience - potholes were the biggest threat.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 9:33 PM

In Oak Park ( Chicago ) not much, out here on the edge of Rockford Ill.

Tornadoes - this just looks like a tornado alley pointed straight at us - only a single barn to slow it down.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
For me, above anything else is that understanding in the back of my mind that we're overdue for the Cascadia subduction zone earthquake. It's not going to be pretty. BUT - every day has its own dangers so no need to sit and worry.
True, be prepared, but don't be paralyzed with daily worry about it. Same for the "Big One" in CA. While both the Cascadia and CA quake on the southern branch of the San Andreas may be "overdue" based on the historical average recurrence pattern, that doesn't mean they will happen in the next few years. It may take many decades. Live your life. Recurrence intervals have a wide variance.

Right now, my worries about infectious new covid variants that evade the vaccine, supply shortages of essentials, soaring inflation, soaring crime and societal breakdown, and increasingly bitter relations between nuclear powers (U.S.-Russia, U.S.-China etc.) leading to an accidental conflict are higher on my list of concerns than earthquakes, or right up there.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 23, 2021 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 1:34 AM

For Austin -housing/rent cost, lack of affordable housing and wildfires.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 1:50 AM

Homelessness. Seems like the city council in D.C. thinks that aggressive and mentally ill homeless with manic psychosis walking around and pushing tourists and shitting on the sidewalk is A-ok. Now there are homeless sleeping in Lafayette Square right in front of the White House. Great symbolism for the filthification of our cities.

D.C. spends millions on public parks that are promptly absorbed by the homeless population and locals fear going through them. See Franklin Park or the park in front of the World Bank. Farragut Square? Full of homeless. It's disgusting. And it wouldn't be a problem if they were chill, but many are extremely violent, screaming obscenities and banging their heads into walls.

I first stopped going to Chinatown because of safety. Now I've crossed off Dupont Circle and Georgetown. Where next?

I just worry the problem doesn't stay in D.C. proper and we don't start seeing a zombie invasion into Nova. Then my workplace AND my home will be impacted. No thanks.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:08 AM

Well, let see what happens if I simulate a Chinese ICBM hitting each of San Diego's major military bases.

At least it will be quick....

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Homelessness. Seems like the city council in D.C. thinks that aggressive and mentally ill homeless with manic psychosis walking around and pushing tourists and shitting on the sidewalk is A-ok. Now there are homeless sleeping in Lafayette Square right in front of the White House. Great symbolism for the filthification of our cities.

D.C. spends millions on public parks that are promptly absorbed by the homeless population and locals fear going through them. See Franklin Park or the park in front of the World Bank. Farragut Square? Full of homeless. It's disgusting. And it wouldn't be a problem if they were chill, but many are extremely violent, screaming obscenities and banging their heads into walls.

I first stopped going to Chinatown because of safety. Now I've crossed off Dupont Circle and Georgetown. Where next?

I just worry the problem doesn't stay in D.C. proper and we don't start seeing a zombie invasion into Nova. Then my workplace AND my home will be impacted. No thanks.
I'm sorry to say that it will only progress further unless you have leadership that is aggressive in enacting laws to stop the nonsense.. You are describing west coast cities from 7 to 10 years ago basically

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:18 AM

There's always been angry homeless in downtown DC harassing people. It's not new. Union Station DC is a magnet for harrassment. It sucks. It's worse than Hollywood from homeless/scammers etc.

This idea it happens only on the west coast is nuts. It's not true at all. Even much smaller cities in the midwest have this stuff.

And in the winter, I've seen dead homeless people lying on the sidewalk coming out of DC metro stations in the morning.

Last edited by LA21st; Oct 23, 2021 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Well, let see what happens if I simulate a Chinese ICBM hitting each of San Diego's major military bases.

At least it will be quick....
That's one thing I no longer worry about. The Soviet Union were far more of an existential threat and could have annihilated us 10x but never dared because of MAD. China has a fraction of warheads and delivery systems so there is no scenario where they nuke us first and they survive. We'll just hack each other until the Matrix rises up and enslaves us all.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:35 AM

myself

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post

...snip....
When I first lived in DC I was taken aback by the number of mental patients that had been dumped on the streets - Regan had just done that.

As much as I find them a nuisance and an eyesore I have never been afraid of the addicts and mental (should-be) patients.

Last edited by harryc; Oct 23, 2021 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I'm sorry to say that it will only progress further unless you have leadership that is aggressive in enacting laws to stop the nonsense.. You are describing west coast cities from 7 to 10 years ago basically
You can't just have a law prohibiting homelessness and public camping. More legal places for these people with no money must be provided for them to sleep, clean up, and go to the bathroom. Poverty and being homeless is NOT a crime. Anybody could lose their wealth through economic collapse or disasters like fires, hurricanes or earthquakes. Solving this problem is in everybody's interest, since potentially everyone could become homeless at some point due to various disasters.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 23, 2021 at 11:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 12:02 PM

Hayward Fault

Big article in the L.A. Times on Friday about how the Hayward Fault in the East Bay is due for a major shake, up to a 7. The fault runs through San Pablo on the north down to Fremont on the south. Last one was in 1868, and Mark Twain mentioned it in "Roughing It". Article said transit like BART could be out of action for months, and huge numbers could become homeless. Could somebody link the article? Oct. 22 L.A. Times, part one ( front page).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
You can't just have a law prohibiting homelessness and public camping. More legal places for these people with no money must be provided for them to sleep, clean up, and go to the bathroom. Poverty and being homeless is NOT a crime. Anybody could lose their wealth through economic collapse or disasters like fires, hurricanes or earthquakes. Solving this problem is in everybody's interest, since potentially everyone could become homeless at some point due to various disasters.
Excellent point.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:39 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Also agreed. That's what a lot of people don't understand. Plus, with all this talk of earthquakes in the two major metros in CA, if shit were to hit the fan, a large amount of people would be homeless instantly due to the damage. Yeah, the wealthy and those with means will be able to move somewhere else, but the majority who don't will be screwed. Would be nice if there's already a good safety net in place for everyone as natural disasters continue to happen in increasing frequency.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:00 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

For Houston, realistically either being in a car accident or being shot. Both at the same time is also a very likely scenario here.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
They have though
Venice boardwalk is cleared , echo Park, now MacArthur
Many additional sites in la is making it prohibited.

In these sites, reportedly the homeless have been offered housing.
If they turn it down, they can't camp there.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:07 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post

Literally everywhere in North America has experienced worsening homelessness over the past few years. Do you really think that that's being caused by civic leadership being too "soft" on homelessness moreso than by deepening affordability challenges and growing inequality in our cities?

Civic policy that's perceived as being friendly to the homeless can attract homeless populations from more antagonistic jurisdictions to an extent; but if everyone is experiencing the same phenomenon then it speaks to something deeper happening.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Literally everywhere in North America has experienced worsening homelessness over the past few years. Do you really think that that's being caused by civic leadership being too "soft" on homelessness moreso than by deepening affordability challenges and growing inequality in our cities?

Civic policy that's perceived as being friendly to the homeless can attract homeless populations from more antagonistic jurisdictions to an extent; but if everyone is experiencing the same phenomenon then it speaks to something deeper happening.
My point is that it can't be lawless. These progressive laws literally handcuff anyone from doing anything. A crack head with mental health issues decides to put up an encampment on your street in front of your house? Good luck. It will takes months for them to move him into help or shelter with the current system, if ever at all. By that point, 10 others will join him and the block is fucked. We've seen it time and time and time again all over LA for years. There are other considerations other than homeless people found whatever the hell they want.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions