HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
My daughter moved to Portland for college in 2010, and I was very impressed with Portland at the time as it was so clean and orderly (even the homeless were younger and neater back then). I believe that "the city that works" was a motto at the time. The NW District and SE near Hawthorne and 16th reminded me a lot of Buffalo neighborhoods. The growth of the Pearl seemed to me something Buffalo could aspire to, but even today Buffalo is no where near where Portland was in that regard in 2010.

I visited this summer and spent most of my time SE, and as much as I still like Portland it just didn't feel like it had turned a positive corner. Most of the camps were cleaned up, but the city just seemed more worn down, many neighborhood businesses shut down or unkempt, and it was without that positive energy it had before. Shopping at the grocery store and watching people leave without paying was kind of defeating, as were the people in the parking lot living in their cars with their pets. It wasn't as bad as stories people tell about Portland, but it has to wear heavily on the psyche of people living there (it absolutely does on my daughter).
Portlands problem is part geographic, part historical and part contemporary. We don't have a major research university cranking out discoveries and were tucked up against the continent so were more like a cultural cul de sac. People come here with their own ideas and customs learned elsewhere but once you get here you are stuck, in the cul-de-sac, hemmed in by the ocean and mountains. Portland is literally in the middle of nowhere. We also missed out on the heavy industry afforded to Seattle because of puget sound. They have the port and are a major gateway to Asia. Portland's current dysfunction is product of a political monoculture that doesn't necessarily play well with its peers and itself is having a national come to Jesus moment. We try experimental policy but there isn't a strong business community to counter act it when things go weird. I dunno, its complicated. On the other hand were arguably the most socially free state in the union. If you are a libertarian, gov. hating gun nut, conspiracy theorist or anarchist!, then you might like it here. Our ace in the hole is probably our stunning beauty and clean environment. Well accept for the nuclear weapons depot up river!

And then came covid and turned this place into bummertown.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Come tour Buffalo in Summer
you might just really fall in love. You can be part of the renaissance unlike Portland that already got Portlandia'D years ago.

BenP is the resident Buffalo expert
I've yet to see an SSP forumer that has more knowledge than him (and I have a ton!) On SSC Buffalo development forum it would be westcoastperspective (Ben is there too)

BenP's google streetviews on SSC really show much Buffalo is transforming back into a great city once again.

or you can view them here on his Flickr, starting from page 22
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bpawlik/page22

It's really amazing the city of Buffalo added something like 10,000 plus units between censuses.
Thanks for the insight. I've got a few friends who ended up there from Michigan, they seem to like it alot.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 12:12 AM
if I sang out of tune

My landlord just showed me the butter spread he got from Waitrose supermarket (upmarket but middle class), charged at £8 he only realised after -London priced

ebay.co.uk: $20 for the same bog standard spread x 2 -dig the pics from sexy angles at left

Apparently it's been ongoing since summer ($11.50) as production has fallen as low as 3% for some UK producers

low grade cheddar can now be more expensive than fancy continental cheeses

Last edited by muppet; Jan 14, 2023 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 12:37 AM

Tampa/St. Petersburg is booming like Covid never happened. Florida was the place to be
a few years ago when the rest of the country was locked down, so it's no surprise that it's firing on all cylinders today...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 12:37 AM
be nice to the crackheads

7.5/10 for Vancouver.

There are still a ton of WFH office workers, but downtown has come a long way since 2021. There is still a lot of graffiti and garbage all over the city, and the homeless/drug problems are as bad as ever, but downtown doesn't feel as sketchy as it did at the end of COVID. There were so many people walking around out of their minds last year. It never felt really dangerous, just unpredictable. There was a huge spike in random act of violence that was happening all over the city, but that seems to have died down a bit in the past few months. Metro Vancouver has been growing like crazy, so that has really helped with the energy around the city.

Hopefully, 2023 will see further healing.

Last edited by giallo; Jan 14, 2023 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 3:13 AM

I guess there is a butter shortage in the UK.

Meanwhile Portland City Hall is bleeding staff. The mayor just fired one of his former confidant and level staffer over harassment allegations. I keep reading about big CEO tamping down on wfh employees. I wonder if corporate north america is about to pull that rug out from under them. I work for a Berkshire Hathaway company and its a virtual ghost ship most days.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 4:31 AM
if I sang out of tune

Vice has a long-running blog on London's Rental Opportunity of the Week

Enjoy not being here

Last edited by muppet; Jan 14, 2023 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 5:17 AM

Chicago continues to improve. I work hybrid, typically 3 days downtown. Wednesdays are always busy and feels like a normal pre-pandemic day with crowded trains and lines at restaurants. Thursdays also busy. But Fridays are downright sad. It's busy along the shopping streets, but the office building streets in the loop are a ghost town. Why do people not want to go into the office Friday? I managed to convince my friends and it's great to do happy hour or head to the West loop or river north for dinner after work, or maybe go to a basketball or hockey game. WFH is better on Mondays or bad weather days!

My neighborhood has gained way more business post pandemic. Hardly any vacant storefronts. I guess that's the silver lining of Chicago neighborhoods where a loss of workers downtown meant new business opportunities close to where people live. I have gone to lunch and gotten coffee more close to home more than ever now.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 10:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
My landlord just showed me the butter spread he got from Waitrose supermarket (upmarket but middle class), charged at £8 he only realised after -London priced

ebay.co.uk: $20 for the same bog standard spread x 2 -dig the pics from sexy angles at left

Apparently it's been ongoing since summer ($11.50) as production has fallen as low as 3% for some UK producers

low grade cheddar can now be more expensive than fancy continental cheeses

Anti-theft alarms on small blocks of cheap cheddar!

Clockwork Orange coming up next?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 11:37 AM
if I sang out of tune

you should see the cow

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 1:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Come tour Buffalo in Summer
you might just really fall in love. You can be part of the renaissance unlike Portland that already got Portlandia'D years ago.

BenP is the resident Buffalo expert
I've yet to see an SSP forumer that has more knowledge than him (and I have a ton!) On SSC Buffalo development forum it would be westcoastperspective (Ben is there too)

BenP's google streetviews on SSC really show much Buffalo is transforming back into a great city once again.

or you can view them here on his Flickr, starting from page 22
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bpawlik/page22

It's really amazing the city of Buffalo added something like 10,000 plus units between censuses.
And Go Bills!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 3:00 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I'm not from Portland but this explanation doesn't sound right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Portlands problem is part geographic, part historical and part contemporary. We don't have a major research university cranking out discoveries and were tucked up against the continent so were more like a cultural cul de sac.
The University of Oregon is not small. Maybe not a super prestigious public ivy but still.

Quote:
People come here with their own ideas and customs learned elsewhere but once you get here you are stuck, in the cul-de-sac, hemmed in by the ocean and mountains.
You could say this about most major US cities that grew quickly after WW2 that weren't anything meaningful before, like Phoenix or Orlando. Phoenix has no reason to exist as a major city except that the most important generation in modern American history decided it really wanted to play more golf.

Quote:
We also missed out on the heavy industry afforded to Seattle because of puget sound. They have the port and are a major gateway to Asia.
Freightliner, Intel(it is heavy industry when you think about it), Precision Castparts, Kaiser Aluminum(at one time), various paper mills, the west coast's main cluster of steel production, and a general mix of logistics and trade along the Columbia.

Portland is arguably more manufacturing oriented than most west coast cities. I don't know this as a fact but it also seems like the west coast's more bulk oriented cargo port. Seattle, Oakland, and Long Beach are predominately container terminals whereas in Portland there are several grain export facilities, cement plants, etc.

Anecdotally: Fred Meyer which is now a big division of Kroger. When I was in college I worked at a Kroger and I would have to cut open pallets upon pallets that were shipped from N Basin Ave Portland, OR. Store brand antacids and margerine and shampoo and other crap like that, usually it was made in the US so it may have come from that corner of the country.

Quote:
Portland's current dysfunction is product of a political monoculture that doesn't necessarily play well with its peers and itself is having a national come to Jesus moment.
If it's a monoculture why was the city unable force a compromise with the police department in order to stop the protests. Why a Republican almost become governor? Why are so many neo-nazis and far right loons products of the Portland suburbs?

Quote:
We try experimental policy but there isn't a strong business community to counter act it when things go weird. I dunno, its complicated.
Translation: democracy is bad, rich elites should control us.

But also Portland is a tech city with a few major players. Hard to believe it doesn't have a power elite. I think more broadly, it's a city run by well educated upper middle class voters who tend to drift towards identity politics due to cultural reasons. Identity politics are what ruined the left. So they are mindless NIMBY's due to a bad mix of misplaced environmentalism and privilege. They'll reflexively defend the needy but won't allow a shelter in the neighborhood. These are people who vote for reparations confiscating things to return to indigenous peoples but also would quietly ship off all the bums to camps if they could get away with it. Fuck them.

I don't think Portland is actually that experimental anymore anyways. Other cities are way ahead of it in housing-first policies and operating homeless programs. Most liberal cities in the US have been trying to divert people from jail for petty crimes, that's not an unreasonable thing to do. It's famed urbanism peaked with the Pearl District being built out, the streetcar based transit network is neat but an early 2000s idea.

Portland spends a lot of money on social programs but hasn't gotten results because it's reacting to the problem in a disorganized way. Oregon was slower on the legalize pot movement. I saw on Reddit a video where the police violently raided a store selling shrooms, because you know stinky hippies and all that. I think it's less libertarian than it used to be. Ron Wyden is holding down the internet freedom front, but besides that I find the Pacific Northwest to be full of a bunch of scolds who would ban everything fun. In Eastern Oregon the "libertarians" are just gun-hoarding psychos who think the Handmaid's Tale was an instruction manual.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 3:18 PM

I was in LA during the pandemic, and now in Chicago, so it’s hard for me to say. I can make one comment about Las Vegas, because I went there before and after. The major change was before the pandemic there was a lot of international tourists, especially from China, and when we went after the pandemic it was noticeably less crowded, and with significantly less international tourists, especially from China. Considering the annoyance I often feel for American tourists, it was probably better before the pandemic.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 3:54 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
And Go Bills!
Go BILLS

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 4:12 PM

Concerning Portland. That was a good response. Im not sure which part to reply to so I'll just touch on a few points. Riots! The mayor did not stop the riots because it was an election year. He is in fact the police chief also so he had the opportunity to crack down on them but he did not. Had he done so he would have been cast as a bully and probably lost his election which he almost did anyway. Conservatives! The countryside is littered with gun nuts and loons because those types got here first. Oregon in many instances is still the wild frontier and its liberal identity is a recent phenomenon. This place was staunchly red until the mid 1980s. Industry! True, we do have alot of smaller manufacturers but our industrial heyday was ww2 and the war efforts. These days more grain gets shipped from Washington ports up the Columbia. Those giant grain silos downtown are now a giant shipping facility for old tires

Education! University of Oregon is in Eugene three hours south of here. But we do have a few semi famous private colleges. OHSU is the educational powerhouse in the city. Isolation! That part is just a theory of mine. Portlands location and topography makes getting here time consuming and difficult. It's not like living in Columbus. If you wanted a change of scenery you have ten major cities you could drive to. Were also missing the cultural and trade benefits of being part of a larger network of cities. We have a rich big sister, Seattle. So to me this place kind of operates like an island and has developed a very unique, self important identity for ourselves. Its not boring tho. Ive spent over half my life here now but I too have some things to consider as I turn 50! Fuck.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper steak View Post
I guarantee you they would rather stay home than have to spend time around their crazy ass boomer coworkers.
I dunno. The isolation is a real thing.

I lead a pretty big team and a mid-cap company and I worry for the early career people in my division. They're not getting the same mentorship and training people got in an in person environment previously..which is partly based on forming bonds with your co-workers and casually shadowing them etc.

I'm not saying it is insurmountable but it is a barrier.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I dunno. The isolation is a real thing.

I lead a pretty big team and a mid-cap company and I worry for the early career people in my division. They're not getting the same mentorship and training people got in an in person environment previously..which is partly based on forming bonds with your co-workers and casually shadowing them etc.

I'm not saying it is insurmountable but it is a barrier.
I think a recession will bring more people back into offices. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we're on the verge of a recession this year.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 2:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Right wing redneck suburbs of even the most liberal cities have been a revelation for me. Didn't think that existed.

Of course, the Ottawa convoy was also a revelation but these rednecks were mostly from exurbs and rural areas. The closer-in suburbs here tend to be denser than in the US and quasi-urban in mindset.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 2:27 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

apparantly its 49-53% office occupancy in nyc lately and inching up. 57% is expected by the end of the year.

of course it varies by type of job and area of the city.

for example, in midtown sixth ave and rock center area are booming again, but third ave is still relatively devastated.

our ‘ol crotchety murdoch tool cuoz tries to threaten people back to the office in his rag today:

Manhattan’s office occupancy shows signs of recovery

By Steve Cuozzo
January 29, 2023

more:
https://nypost.com/2023/01/29/manhat...s-of-recovery/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 2:43 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think a recession will bring more people back into offices. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we're on the verge of a recession this year.

naaah — soft landing — here’s the latest:

Jobs report to give further clues about where economy is headed

By Paul R. La Monica, CNN
Published 7:17 AM EST, Sun January 29, 2023

more:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/29/inves...cks-week-ahead

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions