HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
The Ex should just go for a full redevelopment plan with high-density residential and make the amusement park year round. I’m sure there is plenty of demand to live in the area anyway why not make it something interesting. For some reason Winnipeg hates building housing next to amenities which is something I hope changes in the near future.
Year round? In Winnipeg? La Ronde in Montreal or Canada's wonderland aren't even open year round.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:12 PM

Year round obviously won't work in this climate unless you do the 1980s style indoor West Edmonton Mall thing, but a permanent amusement park open May-September is realistic.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:27 PM
keep the good times going

I would love a year-round attraction like that - but year-round here would imply it is indoors (or at least part of it would be). One can dream, but it would be a huge undertaking

Unless it is dreamScape, then I am convinced

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:43 PM

Now y’all have me thinking about the possibility of riding a rollercoaster when it’s -40. It might not be the most pleasant ride but it would be a once in a lifetime experience.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:35 PM

Piles are being driven for the residential building on Marion beside the legion. Should be quite transformative for the area!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 11:20 PM

Nice.

Biff mentioned heavy equipment at the site on Mayfair. They had a bunch of sheet pile installed ing the river bank. Appears to be of the temporary kind. Is anything happening along the river side of that building. Or just another blank wall?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 1:22 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Now y’all have me thinking about the possibility of riding a rollercoaster when it’s -40. It might not be the most pleasant ride but it would be a once in a lifetime experience.
Ohh the Red River Ex.. After riding on the 'Polar Express' in -40.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Piles are being driven for the residential building on Marion beside the legion. Should be quite transformative for the area!
What are the details for this development? Any renderings

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Ohh the Red River Ex.. After riding on the 'Polar Express' in -40.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
What are the details for this development? Any renderings
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576110852.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 12:58 PM
What could go wrong?

In case you cant get behind paywall.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:32 PM

Back 2 back months the Assiniboia community has the most housing starts and it isn't even close. I live in the area, but if you're interested in construction activity I highly recommend to visit Waverley West as it's abundant. On the bright side that's more services and amenities for me lol.

While housing starts are currently down compared to last year by 35% it should start ramping up significantly in the upcoming months. I mean just look at the amount of activity occurring throughout the city. I thought last year was intense but this year will blow it out of the water imo I've never seen anything like it.

However, we cannot ignore the sheer scale of permit activity in the City Centre. $125 million in a month holy shit this must be a result of some major projects incoming. That's more then the February last year for the whole city.

I have a very optimistic outlook in regards to ongoing construction activity and densification. I wonder how much of it comes from the fervent demand of downsizing and how much will come from immigration/refugees.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:54 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Well....$111m of that $125m for City Centre is the Wawanesa Building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Well....$111m of that $125m for City Centre is the Wawanesa Building.
Wow that is a hefty price tag. Looking at the renderings though I can definitely see why the cost would be so massive.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:27 PM

The permit for Wawanesa just hit the books this year? Or they had a foundation permit and now have permits for the tower?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:02 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Yes to the second part...and the first part as well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
How embarrassing is that for the NHL. Just move the Coyotes once and for all. I hear Quebec is has interest lol
Coyotes cannot move to Quebec. Apparently Houston and Kanas City are both very interested. Geographically those both make much more sense than moving a central team to Quebec City. Now if we were talking about a certain team that currently plays in Sunrise, well that is a whole different thing.

Quote:
The Ex should just go for a full redevelopment plan with high-density residential and make the amusement park year round.
As a non-profit, residential development is well outside the scope of the Red River Ex and actually runs somewhat counter to their core purpose as an agricultural society and to change that would likely involve needing to involve provincial politicians. That said that the land right along Portage Ave has a sign up about a potential high-density residential development on land just outside that owned by The Ex could be promising.

In terms of the full development plan, The Ex definitely has one of the better plans of where they are today and where they want to go to in the future. Their growth is somewhat slow as they are trying to self-fund the development as they generate their own revenue. A prime example would be how when they moved to the current site exhibition place was not initially there but was built later on. They actually have expansions of that facility in their development plan. It is unfortunate they got into a dispute with the group owning the east lot by ASD and the fancy entrance gates are essentially deprecated now as they shift their main entrance to the west side of the property.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Red River Ex has fairly publicly discussed their desire to build an arena like venue of their place for horse shows, livestock auctions, and similar that currently draw sizable crowds in other markets but have no place in Winnipeg. There would see to be some possible synergy with the Ice looking to build a 5,000 seat arena.

The other somewhat interesting side story in the Coyotes in Arizona are going to be moving into a 5,000 seat arena after this season when their lease in Glendale is terminated.
Still to many seats for the Yotes lol. I doubt they could even sell 5000.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 2:57 AM

Proposal for Southwest corner of Waverley/Lee

Here is the previous concept for reference.

I can't believe they downsized the proposal from 291 units to 241 residential units. On 8.5 acres of land zoned RMF-M or RMU you could build up to 450 units. Not to mention the commercial as is would be a generic 1 storey strip-mall where the storefronts would face the parking lot instead of the street. It's literally out of character with the surrounding context the building MUST be mixed-use since it's in such a convenient location with close proximity to education of all levels and right next to existing business on Lee Blvd. Also, the largest Mosque in Manitoba is right next door. Pair that with Waverley West being the most desirable market in the city it's time to densify.

Good thing I live nearby and attended the public engagement meeting. Landmark agreed with almost all of my concerns, but since I am not an adjacent resident it doesn't affect my quality of life as much. The guy who lived next door obviously believed there was too much density being built so having townhouses instead of a 4 storey residential is a fair compromise. However, the residential needs to face both Lee Boulevard and Frontier Boulevard to provide wind breaks as well as passive heating/cooling strategies by having a building provide shade instead of walking through an eyesore of concrete known as the surface parking lot. The approach should either be shared at Lee Boulevard where the entrance to commercial is, or shared with the proposed approach for the mosque next door.

Make it a 5 over 1 similar to the Bravado in Bridgwater Centre or what usually gets built in Waterfront (where the developers head office is btw). Not some excuse to further ensure this city remains car-dependant. In fact it will probably reduce traffic because more people would be walking to schools, entertainment, and whatever commercial uses are open which means less cars on the road per capita and reduce their emissions and gas costs. Hell I could move there and live car-free for 9 months of the year.

Apparently this area is getting subsidized by the inner city so it's time to build productive housing instead of letting 250 people who would rather live within walking distance of amenities move to the edge of prairie pointe or some other far-flung nonsense sprawl this city keeps on building.

/Rant over because thankfully, the Landmark group understood my concerns and will hopefully implement mixed-use housing with storefronts facing Waverley/Lee rather then keeping our ancient Euclidean zoning practices separating commercial and residential.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of the full development plan, The Ex definitely has one of the better plans of where they are today and where they want to go to in the future. Their growth is somewhat slow as they are trying to self-fund the development as they generate their own revenue. A prime example would be how when they moved to the current site exhibition place was not initially there but was built later on. They actually have expansions of that facility in their development plan. It is unfortunate they got into a dispute with the group owning the east lot by ASD and the fancy entrance gates are essentially deprecated now as they shift their main entrance to the west side of the property.
It's too bad that the Ex has to spend money on rearranging their site to put the entrance on the west side according to your description, but at the same time I wouldn't describe the existing gates as fancy in any sense of the word... the structure works as a visual anchor point but in terms of appearance it's basically a 1990s drive thru aesthetic using materials sourced from Home Depot.

No one would miss this if it were gone:

Last edited by esquire; Mar 17, 2022 at 2:42 PM. Reason: Changed to refer to the Ex's gates instead of the Downs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan