HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Non development related, but this such a classic Gym move…

Helen Gym denounced the Union League. A week later she attended a cocktail party at the club.

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/cl..._medium=social
Sorry continuing the off topic thread but I wish we had something to pin the Philly Political thread and Septa thread. I know we can use the subscribe button to be notified when the thread is posted too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 7:37 PM

South Philly Life Sciences

Some exiciting development news in South Philly:

https://skyrem.com/historic-quarterm...chnology-park/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:15 PM

Good retail news! Looks like they’re finally starting work on the Faherty Walnut St store after having signs up for almost a year.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Good retail news! Looks like they’re finally starting work on the Faherty Walnut St store after having signs up for almost a year.
Good news, I was wondering if something fell apart with the lease.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:22 AM

Philly tourism is likely to bounce back to pre-pandemic levels this year, officials say

Quote:
Philadelphia’s tourism organizations expect business and leisure travelers to return to the city in pre-pandemic numbers within the next year.

With 20 citywide conventions and 165 events booked for this year, Visit Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau anticipate hotel revenue for both Center City and Philadelphia County to surpass 2019 numbers by about 4%, exceeding $746 million in Center City and $918 million in the county.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 2:57 PM
Chris

Fantastic!

And the city has seen a lot of positive media coverage lately, mostly due to the Phillies and Eagles.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Fantastic!

And the city has seen a lot of positive media coverage lately, mostly due to the Phillies and Eagles.
Positive?

lol.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Positive?

lol.
A shock?

And I'm not talking about Fox29's daily cries that the city is in the toilet.

I'm talking national media (NBC, CBS, Fox Sports, etc.). The theme of Philadelphia as a passionate city with great culture and food has been going strong the past few weeks (again, mostly due to the Eagles now and the Phillies back in the fall).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Some exiciting development news in South Philly:

https://skyrem.com/historic-quarterm...chnology-park/

it definitely seems like this market is going to be saturated. I do wonder how many of these life sciences projects that are announced will make it to construction. Everyone is trying to cash in lab space with retail and office struggling.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:58 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
it definitely seems like this market is going to be saturated. I do wonder how many of these life sciences projects that are announced will make it to construction. Everyone is trying to cash in lab space with retail and office struggling.
Exactly. I put this in the bucket of "long shot." All the energy for lab space/office combo is in University City.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A shock?

And I'm not talking about Fox29's daily cries that the city is in the toilet.

I'm talking national media (NBC, CBS, Fox Sports, etc.). The theme of Philadelphia as a passionate city with great culture and food has been going strong the past few weeks (again, mostly due to the Eagles now and the Phillies back in the fall).
I'm kidding. It's all definitely positive. lol.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 10:07 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
To me the Quartermaster thing looks like little more than the long-time owner recalibrating their marketing and putting out new press release to reflect what all the cool kids are doing.

https://www.quartermasterphl.com/

Press release: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301735411.html

The Aldi at 22nd St is coming along nicely though.

I should do a stare and compare of last year’s leasing brochure: https://philadelphia.colliers.com/hu...Q_Brochure.pdf
…versus the new leasing brochure: https://8e03d01f-d1a0-4204-a792-5c2f...4116be8eaf.pdf

Colliers was their leasing agent last year. Looks like Scheer Partners is their new leasing agent.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:55 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The Aldi at 22nd St is coming along nicely though.

Colliers was their leasing agent last year. Looks like Scheer Partners is their new leasing agent.
You can check out a shots of the property now and of the Aldi here: Quartermaster Science + Technology Park Will Add to South Philly Life Sciences Scene

Scheer Partners is also the leasing agent for the Ultra Labs project in University City, so they're getting busier in Philly

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 2:17 PM

Don't really see why this site is trying to make a lab play when there is class A lab space being built not too far away in the Navy Yard and UCITY/Grays Ferry.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 2:44 PM

lol

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Don't really see why this site is trying to make a lab play when there is class A lab space being built not too far away in the Navy Yard and UCITY/Grays Ferry.
They could be aiming to beat the others to the bunch by using existing buildings for a faster delivery date. Or the other spaces could already be leased fully (I don't remember what's on spec) or maybe the space and layout of a whole campus makes sense for a kind of tenant they have in mind. Who knows

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:28 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
They could be aiming to beat the others to the bunch by using existing buildings for a faster delivery date. Or the other spaces could already be leased fully (I don't remember what's on spec) or maybe the space and layout of a whole campus makes sense for a kind of tenant they have in mind. Who knows
I think it doesn't hurt to have a good amount of anything in the city, it's like this, theres plenty of corner stores, but the need for more brings new ones in the area.

There's lots of new Grocery stores in the area, but the need for more along with population growth keeps them building new ones.

Lets not get to good for a specific thing, remember in order for the city to keep growing and surpass our current population is to have plenty of stable jobs, and a stable economy for residents, and visitors.

The only reason Philly is making a big come back in this new decade is because of projects like this, and gentrification bringing new people, and money in.

It's also helping the residents who have also been here for decades, but everything has to work together in order for everything to be seen.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, lab space is not like office space. Due to the age of the building complex, it will need a full overhaul and build out. At a lab I worked at in Horsham they had to upgrade the entire manufacturing area and plumbing due to the amount of leaks they were dealing with. This building was only 30yrs old and built to spec in the late 90s.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:48 PM
Chris

Quote:
An interesting tidbit, Philadelphia has emerged as a top national Life Sciences / Research hub (as many of us know). But inventory is still low compared to Boston, San Fran, even San Diego.

https://www.us.jll.com/content/dam/j...ch-outlook.pdf

This particular site is unique, but I don't fear saturation anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:15 AM

Potential bad news for the proposed Amazon Fresh store at 5th and Spring Garden:
Quote:
Amazon Halted Fresh Grocery Store Rollout for Review, CEO Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s?srnd=premium

Amazon.com Inc. has paused expansion of its line of Amazon Fresh grocery stores as it evaluates how to make the chain stand out to shoppers, Chief Executive Officer Andy Jassy said on Thursday.
News site The Information reported in December that Amazon appeared to be letting new Fresh stores sit empty and unopened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development