HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 10:18 PM

Sorry it’s not actually accurate it’s a vague estimate I used pulling 2021 numbers. 86% of all apartments in 2021 were constructed as rentals or 2,915 out of the 3,395 apartment units constructed. Give or take there was only about 400 condo units built last year. I just extrapolated that 86% to the currently 5,286 apartments being constructed to get that 4500.

Winnipeg dwelling units: https://winnipeg.ca/ppd/permits/Stat...llingUnits.stm

Housing Portal (u/c units): https://www03.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/hmip-pimh/en#Condo

Rental starts in 2021 (page 52): https://assets.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/sites...3-e6d307685910

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 3:27 PM
surely you agree with me

Cool. Thanks. I appreciate that.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of all housing being built is rental apartments.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Cool. Thanks. I appreciate that.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of all housing being built is rental apartments.
one of our lurking city employee who have access to that data should get that data to one of us

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
It's wild. I used to come here because it seemed like a place for intelligent urbanists to share insights and have actual intelligent debate. But this issue comes up every week and it's always the same outdated boomer mentality of "let's just move the poors somewhere else where we don't have to look at them", moving the problems around instead of actually addressing the underlying issues. Total shame what this forum has become.
Here! Here! Yes, they actually believe closing a vendor is going to solve downtown's issues. Solving poverty, homelessness and income inequality, or at least making a start at it will do much more to resolve the downtown problems. Rather than getting all excited about the garbage floating around and someone dancing stoned in the middle of the street, start thinking about what are the root causes of these issues. Waggy and crew get all excited when anyone mentions the provincial government role, but let's be serious, the current government has shown a complete disregard for the city and it doesn't look like that is going to change. In a city like Winnipeg, and a province like Manitoba, a completely laissez-faire approach is always going to fail.
And thank god Esquire has now ruled out the Duarte-style death squads.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:23 PM

Let me be clear. Closing a vendor is not the answer - and is proven to not be the answer given how many closed along Main St.over the years, and the current state of affairs. However, allowing people to sleep in bus shelters is not the answer either. There are dangers inherent in this - for both the people involved, and the general public. Garbage on the street is both a danger and deterrent to business. If windows on business are constantly broken, there will be no businesses...or residents. The problems must be solved from the perspective of both cause and effect - bottom up and top down. Simultaneously. The symptoms are as bad as the disease. And yeah...if I hit someone stoned dancing in the middle of the street, not only are they injured - or potentially killed, but it will seriously impact the rest of my life. I restate - the Mayoral and Council candidates that talk about this honestly, and will present a realistic plan to address this with all the key stakeholders will get my vote. Our current Mayor and provincial govt have all but washed their hands of this mess.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:56 PM

On the topic of residential conversions...

Here's an idea, tell me what you all think - the doctors (or whoever it is) that own the Winnipeg Clinic Building make themselves some brand new facilities where Great-West Life used to be across the street at 444 St Mary Ave, then they sell their old building off for residential conversion. Such a cool building that just looks tired these days, but would be amazing with a refurbishment!

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 12:19 AM

It's an ancient building for the ancient doctors that inhabit it.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 12:18 PM

The MMF wants to build this on the site of Roxy Lanes on Henderson, but now it's being held up by a potential heritage designation for the Roxy.

Quote:
While plans are still being finalized, the MMF envisions a six-storey development with some 45 housing units for 55-plus residents. The new building would also offer commercial space on the first two floors, along with a potential rooftop terrace and seniors programs.

Hourie said it largely matches a similar plan MMF is pursuing in Selkirk. She estimates the Winnipeg development would be worth at least $15 million.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576483282.html

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 12:25 PM

This bowling alley better not get that heritage tag otherwise we’re just going to end up designating every building that’s nearly 100 years old.

From the looks of it the proposal would fill the surface lot adjacent to the Roxy as well. Hopefully this goes through because it would be a nice improvement to the area.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 1:26 PM
What could go wrong?

I get preserving historic buildings and am generally in favor of it. Roxy lanes doesn't really have any redeeming features other than 100 year old brick on an unremarkable facade. This is not like the Acadamy Lanes building which was/is quite ornate. If you ripped out the tired old bowling lanes you would be left with nothing really.

Tear it down and bring in some residents, plus it kills a surface parking lot.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:16 PM

^ I'm on the same page as you guys. The Roxy has been so heavily altered over the years that I'm not sure exactly what heritage would even be preserved there. There aren't many traces of the old theatre left. It's just an ordinary 1950s bowling alley.

If the project is built according to the rendering with masonry and all, it would be a nice addition to the Henderson streetscape while providing a useful function.

Sidenote, but it's interesting to see how much the MMF is building around the province. I've noticed some of their projects, especially when you get a bit north of the city. Maybe one of these days I might get around to compiling pictures of all their recent builds for a MMF thread...

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:29 PM
What could go wrong?

175/185 Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Wait, so is the developer converting some of the office space to residential, or are they adding a level of residential on top of the office building?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe the developer is converting the 6th floor to apartments and the other 5 floors will remain office (that is almost all leased).
The portion of the building above Shannon's is to be residential. (I was wrong)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 2:56 PM

To play devil's advocate. If there's any building in the NE that would get heritage designation, it's Roxy and/or La Salle on Nairn. Otherwise there are no other buildings in the NE. Currently, there are zero with heritage designation. So there's not much to worry about in terms of every old building being designated heritage.

Roxy is part of the original group of theatres built around the time. Same with Academy. I think they actually announced the Academy building on stage at the Roxy. There is a bunch of old stuff still in the basement at Roxy. There's a nice article on the whole thing.

I'd be sad to see the Roxy go.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:02 PM

I think I'd be happy on balance to see this go up. If a heritage designation for Roxy blocks it, then I'd love to see it on the similar-sized vacant lot at Johnson and Henderson.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:28 PM
surely you agree with me

just to be clear, that MMF rendering is something similar to what they want to build. That image is for a project in downtown Selkirk.....by a famous starchitect.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:29 PM
surely you agree with me

i hate seeing the bowling alley go, but the building is not heritage.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
just to be clear, that MMF rendering is something similar to what they want to build. That image is for a project in downtown Selkirk.....by a famous starchitect.
Starchitect! Now we're talking!!!

Interesting, the Freep article got it wrong then, they labelled it as a rendering of the proposed Henderson project.

I would be happy to see something like the building in the image go up on Henderson. There have been a couple of 'okay' projects along that strip in recent years but nothing as good as what's shown in the rendering.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I think I'd be happy on balance to see this go up. If a heritage designation for Roxy blocks it, then I'd love to see it on the similar-sized vacant lot at Johnson and Henderson.
There was some sort of community green space project proposed for the Henderson/Johnson location in the spring of 2019.

As the project was being driven by the local community renewal group I don't know if stalled due to lack of money or covid has stalled any progress.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
What's going on with Selkrik lately? That place has been making moves that are progressive by Winnipeg standards. Compared to Manitoba's other small cities they look downright Dutch.

Good for them. It's an attractive enough place--on the river, close to the lake, a better-than-most downtown with at least two mixed-use buildings and a lovely riverside park. Not everyone moving out of Winnipeg wants to move to an exurban dump like Niverville. Why not provide an alternative that's actually nice? Not to mention, they're improving quality of life for their residents, and they're setting the community up for long-term sustainability and success.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:41 PM
What could go wrong?

Interesting comment from Jim Ludlow in a recent article on Winnipeg's downtown:

Even though company officials had previously said that the fifth building at True North Square, the under-construction 19-storey home to Wawanesa Insurance’s North American headquarters, was to be its last, Ludlow says they probably spoke too soon.

“We’ve got some ideas. We’re not done. We’re always up for a challenge. That’s, in part, how you define how you get somewhere in Winnipeg. It’s a challenge.”

“We’ve got our eyes open on a couple of things. We’re watching. You need to have a creative mind and it has to be collaborative,” he says.

https://manitoba-inc.ca/winnipegs-ch...pe-for-growth/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan