HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You see this on down-and-out commercial streets in my city as well.

Very inspiring entrepreneurial spirit, I have to say.
Yes indeed. I would love to see the local residents pick up some of that spirit. I would love to see Selkirk ave improve and live up to its potential.

There are several organizations in the Selkirk Ave area that help low income families with different things, including starting a small business. Help is there for those that really want it.

Last edited by Luisito; Jul 6, 2022 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:04 AM

Selkrik ave. is a great example of how things should work, and how they don't in Winnipeg.

Those empty storefronts with cheap rent should be snapped up as cultural spaces--music venues, galleries--which would increase traffic and build demand for restaurants and maybe even shops.

But, by and large, for cultural spaces to make it, they have to be able to sell alcohol, either at a bar or at events. Manitoba's government, through the liquor commission, makes this prohibitively difficult and expensive. And their colonial attitude means they they would basically never allow alcohol sales--even if the money and qualifications were there--in the North End.

The result: few bother, culture stagnates, and the community dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I suppose that social breakdown is "culture" in much the same way that favelas generate plenty of authentic culture.

On the social supports thing, though... No matter where you live in this province you get access to health care, education, recreation and emergency services. Obviously the level of access to those things varies depending on whether you're in a city or a tiny isolated town, but the point is that no one has to fend for themselves. And the services are roughly on par with what one could expect across the country... it's not as though PEI or BC deliver 5 times more across the board than Manitoba does.

So if that's not enough... how much more is needed? How high is the price tag for enough social stability so that people can go down to The Forks on a national holiday without getting stabbed? A lot of people aren't interested in hanging around long enough to find out the answer, as we can see from provincial outmigration numbers.

1. The current conservative government cut social spending. Things got worse. The answer to how much more is needed is obvious: more than what exists.

Is 1% higher PST worth it to make The Forks safe? Manitoba used to have that, and The Forks was safe.

2. "health care, education, recreation and emergency services" are not the breadth of social supports. Manitoba isn't BC or PEI. It has problems that BC and PEI don't. It needs solutions that BC and PEI don't.

3. Manitoba has these solutions, but their funding has been slashed. Those store-front social services you mentioned in Winnipeg's West and North Ends; they provide critical support to vulnerable people: addicts, the mentally ill, and the abused.

These organizations have diverse sources of funding, but the Cons cut the provincial component. These services have, therefore, lost staff and their ability to provide the solutions that vulnerable people in Winnipeg need. That breeds despair, and desperate people do desperate things--like steal catalytic converters and stab people.

4. You say "It's not like we all consciously opted for what is there now" but plenty of people consciously opted to move to the suburbs and elect a bad government. Plenty of people consciously opted to turn their backs on the North End and to not give a shit about what goes on there, past tutting at the news and locking their doors when they drive along north Main.

That you, a thoughtful and well-informed citizen with a distant connection to the community, don't know what goes on in those store-front social services speaks to the disconnect.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
1. The current conservative government cut social spending. Things got worse. The answer to how much more is needed is obvious: more than what exists.

Is 1% higher PST worth it to make The Forks safe? Manitoba used to have that, and The Forks was safe.

2. "health care, education, recreation and emergency services" are not the breadth of social supports. Manitoba isn't BC or PEI. It has problems that BC and PEI don't. It needs solutions that BC and PEI don't.

3. Manitoba has these solutions, but their funding has been slashed. Those store-front social services you mentioned in Winnipeg's West and North Ends; they provide critical support to vulnerable people: addicts, the mentally ill, and the abused.

These organizations have diverse sources of funding, but the Cons cut the provincial component. These services have, therefore, lost staff and their ability to provide the solutions that vulnerable people in Winnipeg need. That breeds despair, and desperate people do desperate things--like steal catalytic converters and stab people.

4. You say "It's not like we all consciously opted for what is there now" but plenty of people consciously opted to move to the suburbs and elect a bad government. Plenty of people consciously opted to turn their backs on the North End and to not give a shit about what goes on there, past tutting at the news and locking their doors when they drive along north Main.

That you, a thoughtful and well-informed citizen with a distant connection to the community, don't know what goes on in those store-front social services speaks to the disconnect.
Have any of the North End social agencies had to close their doors over the last 5 years? I don't know, I haven't heard of any. To my eyes they all appear to be doing business as usual. I find it hard to believe that a 10% budget cut to the Indigenous Family Centre or whatever effectively kneecaps it and prevents it from otherwise fulfilling its mission.

In the long run, people don't need youth resource centres and development agencies. I mean, they're nice, but there's nothing that convinces me they are going to make a big difference in the long run. These are generally not core services that people rely on. I find it hard to believe the idea that in spite of all of the current spending on these programs, that a few more dollars is what it's going to take to right the ship.

If adding one percentage point to the PST is going to make The Forks stabbing-free, then sign me up... but do I get a refund if it doesn't work?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:27 PM

They don't have to close their doors to be less effective. Think about how many people one counsellor supports. Laying off that counsellor doesn't dynamite the whole centre in which they work, but it will blow up the lives of at least some of the people they supported.

We all want our social services to be like sewers--they exist and deal with icky stuff that we don't want to think about. But, unlike sewers, we somehow don't believe that they actually do anything when they stop working. I'd suggest you pay more attention to them--get to know someone who works in one; maybe even get involved.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:33 PM

I don't think anything stabilizes society like when people have a stake in it... a job, a home and a vested interest in the personal and social stability it takes to maintain those things. With unemployment rates cratering and many employers suddenly desperate for people, I wonder if this will present an opportunity for lasting change among those struggling on the socioeconomic margins.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa is now at 8.

Victim was shot in what looks like a housing project in the south end of the city.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:24 PM

The woman set on fire on a toronto bus a couple of weeks ago has passed away.
https://youtu.be/ELAq8rRUPQ4

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Toronto police identify woman set on fire on TTC bus, upgrade charge against alleged attacker
Quote:
Toronto police have identified a woman who died in hospital after she was set on fire last month on a city bus.

Nyima Dolma, 28, of Toronto, died last week after the attack at Kipling station, near Kipling Avenue and Dundas Avenue West, at about 12:25 p.m. on June 17

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/police-ide...231334125.html

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:22 AM
Community Guy

Pure evil and awful shit that.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:21 PM
BANNED

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62175291

There was a hit yesterday in Surrey on an acquitted airline bomber from India almost 40 years ago. A lot of media saying they're surprised he wasn't murdered years and years ago.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62175291

There was a hit yesterday in Surrey on an acquitted airline bomber from India almost 40 years ago. A lot of media saying they're surprised he wasn't murdered years and years ago.
I'm surprised he got killed at all. For being a small minority, Sikhs hold a tremendous amount of power in this country.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 9:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

A lot of shooting going on in Ottawa lately.

A man was shot and killed in Lower Town near King Edward a few days ago. I think it was the 9th or 10th murder of the year.

And there was another shooting in broad daylight in the south end this afternoon.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of shooting going on in Ottawa lately.

A man was shot and killed in Lower Town near King Edward a few days ago. I think it was the 9th or 10th murder of the year.

And there was another shooting in broad daylight in the south end this afternoon.

What's going on, just random shootings? Gang related? Oraganized crime?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 2:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
What's going on, just random shootings? Gang related? Oraganized crime?
Gangster "types", though Ottawa's gang scene apparently isn't very organized.

Lots of independent players it seems.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 2:57 PM

Well my quiet unassuming street had its first violent incident.

Went out to my car Sunday morning to put the bike rack on. A RCMP walked up and asked if we have a security camera or door camera. Went to get my wifes phone that has the app. 1:27am showed some activity but nothing we could discern.
at 2;20 the camera was filled with light. Lots of emergency lights.

RCMP said a house party got out of hand. I asked how bad he said you'll see the blood.

Apparently some adult child of a neighbor had a get together at a house up the street, the parents just left for Mexico. A guest got into a fight with another. Got beat good and left. only to come back with a manchette. Hacked the guy that beat him.

The victim made it down past my place and collapsed on the street. In critical condition still.

RCMP said they had to look on a map to see where our crescent was because they never get calls from here.

And in all of that not one neighbor woke up, not even the dogs. (which like ours most bark at anything on the street). Most neighbors would not have heard about it if the Fire Dept wasn't hosing down the street later in the day.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 3:27 PM

Well my quiet unassuming street had its first violent incident.

Went out to my car Sunday morning to put the bike rack on. A RCMP walked up and asked if we have a security camera or door camera. Went to get my wifes phone that has the app. 1:27am showed some activity but nothing we could discern.
at 2;20 the camera was filled with light. Lots of emergency lights.

RCMP said a house party got out of hand. I asked how bad he said you'll see the blood.

Apparently some adult child of a neighbor had a get together at a house up the street, the parents just left for Mexico. A guest got into a fight with another. Got beat good and left. only to come back with a manchette. Hacked the guy that beat him.

The victim made it down past my place and collapsed on the street. In critical condition still.

RCMP said they had to look on a map to see where our crescent was because they never get calls from here.

And in all of that not one neighbor woke up, not even the dogs. (which like ours most bark at anything on the street). Most neighbors would not have heard about it if the Fire Dept wasn't hosing down the street later in the day.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 3:55 PM
video et taceo

I was surprised to read that Greater Stockholm posted 41 homicides in 2021, which I gather is more than twice as high as the similarly sized Vancouver.

Edit: Or is it about the same? Statscan seems to have different numbers than the local press.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I was surprised to read that Greater Stockholm posted 41 homicides in 2021, which I gather is more than twice as high as the similarly sized Vancouver.

Edit: Or is it about the same? Statscan seems to have different numbers than the local press.
Judging from this (fairly reliable page) I'd say Greater Vancouver came in around 50 last year:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62612896-post1920.html

(Counting the City of Vancouver plus BC cities that I know are part of Greater Vancouver.)

Greater Montreal came in around 40 and Greater Toronto around 100.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Double homicide in Chilliwack yesterday.

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/...hilliwack-rcmp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada