HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YegFan View Post
Edmonton is not in Qatar or Russia where bids for such events are financed by the national government. Here, we don't understand that you get a chance to showcase your city and your brand in history. So, it is a much harder climb for Edmonton to convince politicians and taxpayers to complete overhaul the stadium.

I went to both qualifying games in November last year. Commonwealth, simply put, is 30 years behind what new stadia around the world look like.

They keep talking about the turf....But this place needs a major redo.

I knew right when Vancouver was asked to jump back in that FIFA did not like the Edmonton proposal. Missed opportunity. The North American bid was announced 4 years ago. So much could have been done between then and now to bring the facility up to a decent standard when the FIFA team showed up. Instead, they were still trying to obtain assurance from the province to pay the minimum.

Totally mishandled by the City and all the affiliated useless agencies such as Explore Edmonton, Global Edmonton, etc....
So you don’t think the UCPs foot dragging and when they did agree to make unrealistic demands on FIFA had something to do with a failed bid. Give your head a shake.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
So you don’t think the UCPs foot dragging and when they did agree to make unrealistic demands on FIFA had something to do with a failed bid. Give your head a shake.
I think the UCP is absolutely part of the problem...FIFA wanted an upgraded facility (not just natural turf). UCP asked for 5 games (and high profile ones included - beyond group stage).

who knows what the price tag was....UCP wants to offset their investments with tangible $, while we all know that those investments are long term in nature.

Regardless, all parties screwed this thing up.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 2:16 PM
Change is good

all parties ? Nah dude, just the Divided Clown Party.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I went to both qualifying games in November last year. Commonwealth, simply put, is 30 years behind what new stadia around the world look like.

They keep talking about the turf....But this place needs a major redo.
What are the specific upgrades that Commonwealth needed but couldn't get?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What are the specific upgrades that Commonwealth needed but couldn't get?
My guess...concessions, washrooms, press seating, skyboxes, sound system, screens. But they keep talking about commitment to change the turf.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:28 PM
Community Guy

Oilers G Koskinen signs two-year deal in Switzerland

TSN

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 4:41 PM

I heard the Oilers management have asked Smith and Keith for retirement decisions by July 1st. Although Keith has a $5.5mil cap hit he would ONLY make $1.5mil this year because of the way his contract was structured. If they both retire the Oilers will somehow free up over $9mil cap space.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 3:10 AM
Community Guy

Fun series this WHL stuff.

Kings hoping to close it out tonight.

GO Oil KINGS GO!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 4:23 AM
Community Guy

WHL Champions!!!

Congrats boys!

Off to the Memorial Cup...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 9:50 PM
Community Guy

Nice work all!
---

Reed Clarke, MBA• 2ndPresident at Edmonton Stingers Professional Basketball Club1d • 1 day ago
Follow

Huge shout out to all the Edmonton Stingers fans and partners who attended and contributed to our first ever Sell Out in team history.

#yegbasketball is alive and well!

...and were just getting started!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 12:55 AM

Agreed, congratulations to the Oil Kings and the Stingers! Now let’s win the Memorial Cup!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 8:46 PM
Community Guy

Reaction to FIFA World Cup 2026™ announcement
June 15, 2022

News media are invited to join Mayor Amarjeet Sohi and City Manager Andre Corbould as FIFA makes a major announcement related to the FIFA World Cup 2026™.

Date: Thursday, June 16
Time: 2:30 p.m. MDT
Location: Commonwealth Stadium, Alumni Room, 11000 Stadium Road

Local introductory comments will be made at 2:45 p.m. MDT. FIFA’s live broadcast event is scheduled to begin in New York at 5 p.m. EDT/3 p.m. MDT. Statements will be provided post live broadcast. The broadcast will be streamed live in the Alumni Room at Commonwealth Stadium.

We will host two people per media outlet. Please RSVP to carol.hurst@edmonton.ca to confirm attendance by 10 a.m., June 16.

News media may park in Lot B on the west side of Commonwealth Stadium, which is near the west entrance of Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre.

The Edmonton 2026 Bid Team and supporters of Edmonton’s bid to host FIFA World Cup 2026™ will also be at Commonwealth Stadium to view the announcement.

Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
587-987-7166

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:29 PM

One way or the other there is a need for this media event : either to celebrate or to share disappointment.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 10:24 PM
A Better Place

The Stingers are super, super underrated in our City. We have an amazing professional basketball team in our city folks.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
One way or the other there is a need for this media event : either to celebrate or to share disappointment.
I read the Mayor and City Manager. Missing: Premier, federal representatives.

You have your answer right there.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
too bad terry jones won’t be there.

when you look at this in addition to everyone else who is no longer at the journal you can only conclude that no one at the national post even reads the journal, never mind actually cares about the journal or edmonton for that matter.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:33 PM

Quote:
I read the Mayor and City Manager. Missing: Premier, federal representatives.

You have your answer right there.
Yeah, they'll be in Toronto and Vancouver.
And the Premier doesn't give two craps about Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 10:31 PM
Community Guy

Minister of Culture Ron Orr issued the following statement on the recent FIFA World Cup 2026 host city announcement:

“We share in the collective disappointment with soccer fans here in Alberta and across Canada that Edmonton was not chosen as one of the host cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

“It is unfortunate that soccer fans will not experience the beauty and vibrancy of Edmonton and our province as a whole. Alberta’s government worked hard and committed a significant financial sum to help the bid along. Our province has hosted countless world-class sporting events. Commonwealth Stadium is the biggest facility in Western Canada and would play an excellent host.

“While they won’t have the opportunity to see the games here, we do hope fans visiting Canada watch the matches and take the opportunity to travel to Alberta and experience our first-class western hospitality, our picturesque landscapes and our energetic cities.

“I wish to thank the City of Edmonton for its courage and vision. Your enthusiasm for these games has been noteworthy. We share your disappointment with this decision. I congratulate the successful 2026 FIFA World Cup host cities.”

Media inquiries

Savannah Johannsen
780-686-3521
Press Secretary, Culture and Status of Women

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:20 AM

^ Bovine Excrement

They blew it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Minister of Culture Ron Orr issued the following statement on the recent FIFA World Cup 2026 host city announcement:

“We share in the collective disappointment with soccer fans here in Alberta and across Canada that Edmonton was not chosen as one of the host cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

“It is unfortunate that soccer fans will not experience the beauty and vibrancy of Edmonton and our province as a whole. Alberta’s government worked hard and committed a significant financial sum to help the bid along. Our province has hosted countless world-class sporting events. Commonwealth Stadium is the biggest facility in Western Canada and would play an excellent host.

“While they won’t have the opportunity to see the games here, we do hope fans visiting Canada watch the matches and take the opportunity to travel to Alberta and experience our first-class western hospitality, our picturesque landscapes and our energetic cities.

“I wish to thank the City of Edmonton for its courage and vision. Your enthusiasm for these games has been noteworthy. We share your disappointment with this decision. I congratulate the successful 2026 FIFA World Cup host cities.”

Media inquiries

Savannah Johannsen
780-686-3521
Press Secretary, Culture and Status of Women
When was the last time we heard anything from this individual?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton