HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 4:53 PM
A Better Place

How was the attendance during the day? Your photo makes me think it wasn't that great...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

It was ok, obviously impacted by COVID-19.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
How was the attendance during the day? Your photo makes me think it wasn't that great...
I heard that it was around 10,000.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 5:34 PM
Community Guy

Yeah, we were estimating 8-10k. Also keep in mind the event was from 930am-630pm with two dozen games so people came and left all day.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Yeah, we were estimating 8-10k. Also keep in mind the event was from 930am-630pm with two dozen games so people came and left all day.
always interesting to read what was forecast vs what actually happens:

"It’s yet another outstanding opportunity to showcase the city, but unlike the NHL’s Hub City bubble Stanley Cup playoffs and IIHF world juniors and the coming World Triathlon Championships in August with no fans. But the Rugby Sevens event is expected to fill a significant percentage of the 56,302 seats in Commonwealth Stadium.

"The ultra-aggressive approach currently being taken by Edmonton Events, the strategic partnership between the City of Edmonton and Explore Edmonton, is producing results."

"The total attendance for the two-day Vancouver event involving two separate draw sessions per day has been, in order, 72,000, 76,116, 77,096, 73,819 and 74,560.

"That works out to a paid admission average of just under 20,000 per draw segment."

if 8 - 10,000 coming and going over the course of the day (are those discrete attendees or 2 - 2,500 coming and going per draw segment with how many of those being comped and not paid) is the result after edmonton events, the city of edmonton and explore edmonton took "an ultra-aggressive approach, perhaps we should give up purchasing and promoting one-off events and finding better places to invest that money.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
always interesting to read what was forecast vs what actually happens:

"It’s yet another outstanding opportunity to showcase the city, but unlike the NHL’s Hub City bubble Stanley Cup playoffs and IIHF world juniors and the coming World Triathlon Championships in August with no fans. But the Rugby Sevens event is expected to fill a significant percentage of the 56,302 seats in Commonwealth Stadium.

"The ultra-aggressive approach currently being taken by Edmonton Events, the strategic partnership between the City of Edmonton and Explore Edmonton, is producing results."

"The total attendance for the two-day Vancouver event involving two separate draw sessions per day has been, in order, 72,000, 76,116, 77,096, 73,819 and 74,560.

"That works out to a paid admission average of just under 20,000 per draw segment."

if 8 - 10,000 coming and going over the course of the day (are those discrete attendees or 2 - 2,500 coming and going per draw segment with how many of those being comped and not paid) is the result after edmonton events, the city of edmonton and explore edmonton took "an ultra-aggressive approach, perhaps we should give up purchasing and promoting one-off events and finding better places to invest that money.
As someone who lives out of Canada full time ... I sat and watched the game on TV with friends from many countries. I thought Edmonton was well branded on TV with adds, commentary etc. We watched glued to the TV over the 2 days. Everyone loved the stadium, and views of Edmonton. Also the Rugby TV people made sure references to Edmonton were sprinkled around by the Live TV announcers and it worked!. Great broadcast and I love the Sevens now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 8:12 PM
Community Guy

Given what the Elks are drawing I felt this was reasonable given COVID19 protocols and the sport but yes, it would be interesting to see the ROI on this. We did receive some very good Global exposure and it a decent amount of people were clearly from out of town. We met people from Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Fort Mac, Saskatoon who came in specifically for the event. I'd be curious to know hotel room impact.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 1:47 AM
Community Guy

Nice to see our first pre-season end with a 4-0 win over those Flames.

Great to see Bourgault and Ryan with two points each and Konovalov + Skinner tag teaming for the shutout.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
You have to somewhat admire their conviction to give up their lives or livelihoods for something they strongly believe in.
No I don't have to admire him ... I pity him for his lack of critical thinking skills no doubt the result of low intelligence.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 3:38 AM
Community Guy

Seattle's first ever visit to Rogers Place. Not digging the jerseys on tv but I will give them time.

Nurse with a nice end to (sorta) end.

Perlini looking at home and confident.

Hyman is going to be a machine on this team.

McDavid McDavid'ing.

120mins without a goal... sure preseason but still impressive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:04 AM
Community Guy

Joey Moss locker room tribute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myeJpeeUURg

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:53 PM

Duncan Keith is getting roasted on social media for his vaccine comments.

Great way to start here in Edmonton Duncan.

What a tire fire.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 9:28 PM

Where do we go to buy online tickets for the FIFA Mexico and Costa Rica games at Commonwealth on Nov 12th and 16th? I want to order tix now online.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Where do we go to buy online tickets for the FIFA Mexico and Costa Rica games at Commonwealth on Nov 12th and 16th? I want to order tix now online.
Same here, can't wait! This is the best Canadian men's squad they have ever had, and are really pushing to make the world cup. They will need as much support as they can get.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 3:47 AM
Community Guy

I just did the math:

Nov 11-16 I will have - 1 Golden Bears hockey, 1 Elks CFL and 2 FIFA.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 10:59 PM
Community Guy

Jessssssssse Puljujarviiiiiiiiiii

Could this be the year that he breaks out? If he and Hyman get going with say 25 and 30Gs each respectfully, this could be a very interesting year.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Jessssssssse Puljujarviiiiiiiiiii

Could this be the year that he breaks out? If he and Hyman get going with say 25 and 30Gs each respectfully, this could be a very interesting year.
Both compete hard to get the puck back as well. They could be key for any playoff run as they wear out defensemen.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:39 AM
Community Guy

4 unanswered for the win*!

That felt goooood.

*preseason

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Soccer on frozen turf and sitting on frozen seats in a blizzard. No thanks.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 8:33 PM
Community Guy

Just bring a blanket.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton