HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 10:03 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Pearl has some pretty nice buildings on S. Broad and Rittenhouse. They also own 801 Chestnut over by Jeweler's Row. Would be great if they became more invested in the area - it's got a lot of potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Not 801 Chestnut — that’s Philadelphia Parking Authority and essentially part of the would-have-been Disney Hole site.
I see now that you must have meant 801 Walnut St (aka 140-42 S 8th St), where Pearl did an apartment conversion c. 2010-11. See this Hidden City article from 2014 by GroJLart:
Coffee Comeback On Jewelers Row | Hidden City Philadelphia

Hidden City published a new piece by Kimberly Haas yesterday:
Toll Brothers Abandons Jewelers’ Row Project with Sale to Pearl Properties | Hidden City Philadelphia

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I see now that you must have meant 801 Walnut St (aka 140-42 S 8th St), where Pearl did an apartment conversion c. 2010-11. See this Hidden City article from 2014 by GroJLart:
Coffee Comeback On Jewelers Row | Hidden City Philadelphia

Hidden City published a new piece by Kimberly Haas yesterday:
Toll Brothers Abandons Jewelers’ Row Project with Sale to Pearl Properties | Hidden City Philadelphia
Pearl has a real opportunity here to make Toll look even worse then they do now. If they come out with a dope new design and rebuild the old frontage to look more period correct, it would be a huge F U to Toll.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
l rebuild the old frontage to look more period correct, it would be a huge F U to Toll.
This is what I'm really hoping for! None of Toll's designs worked well with the eclectic streetscape.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:49 PM

When was the last time Philly got any exciting tower ? Maybe fmc ? Everything been so mid for the past couple years , we never gona get anything cool

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:04 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skang View Post
When was the last time Philly got any exciting tower ? Maybe fmc ? Everything been so mid for the past couple years , we never gona get anything cool
Comcast 2 is awesome (it came after FMC).

Arthaus on South Broad is a winner and my favorite new tower in Center City.

And while not a tall tower, 2222 Market Street turned out awesome.

The Laurel on Rittenhouse is good but not great.

The red block building on JFK will be awesome if/when it is built.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Comcast 2 is awesome (it came after FMC).

Arthaus on South Broad is a winner and my favorite new tower in Center City.

And while not a tall tower, 2222 Market Street turned out awesome.

The Laurel on Rittenhouse is good but not great.

The red block building on JFK will be awesome if/when it is built.

My point is we haven’t got any landmark building since Comcast/ fmc , a tower that represent the city something iconic

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
My point is we haven’t got any landmark building since Comcast/ fmc , a tower that represent the city something iconic
I'd say both the Laurel and Arthaus are landmark towers, though I think I understand your sentiment.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I mean, the 2nd Comcast tower, which is the tallest building in the city, was only completed 4 years ago. Are we expecting a new tallest building every year or something? Lol

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 6:56 PM

I'd argue that while not tall, Penn's new hospital is a really bold landscape-changing project and has only been finished for a year. And the CTC hasn't even been open for 5 years yet

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 7:58 PM
Philly Pholly

I think there are no views of the city that haven't been changed dramatically over the last 5 years. Perhaps more than I can ever remember. The densification in all directions is a landmark for me.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 8:46 PM

From the Highrise Thread:
Quote:
Pearl Properties has paid $7.5 million to acquire a long-vacant — and controversial — Jewelers' Row parcel from Toll Brothers Inc.

The Philadelphia developer of high-end apartment buildings has not publicly commented on the transaction but property records now show the deal has closed. News of Pearl Properties potentially taking over the site at 702-710 Sansom St. surfaced toward the end of 2022, though the purchase price was not clear at the time.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 12:57 PM
Chris

No construction update, just a Toll Brothers article. I know Toll no longer owns the plot, but still irritating to read about record profits yet they couldn't make this building work.

Toll Brothers is posting record profits, scooping up frustrated homebuyers with more spec construction

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

While the company adjusts prices by each development rather than each market, Yearley said the Pennsylvania and New Jersey markets rank among the company’s brightest spots along with Georgia, Texas, Florida and California. The company’s softest markets include Seattle and Phoenix, he said.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 1:11 PM

Quote:
No construction update, just a Toll Brothers article. I know Toll no longer owns the plot, but still irritating to read about record profits yet they couldn't make this building work.

Toll Brothers is posting record profits, scooping up frustrated homebuyers with more spec construction

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

While the company adjusts prices by each development rather than each market, Yearley said the Pennsylvania and New Jersey markets rank among the company’s brightest spots along with Georgia, Texas, Florida and California. The company’s softest markets include Seattle and Phoenix, he said.
I walk by this 3x per week taking my kids to their martial arts class...frustrates me to no end.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I walk by this 3x per week taking my kids to their martial arts class...frustrates me to no end.
I take the 47 and pass by it all the time, it's terrible seeing a hole there. I hope the new developer can fill in this hole soon

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I take the 47 and pass by it all the time, it's terrible seeing a hole there. I hope the new developer can fill in this hole soon
not to mention the trash building up in the hole. I think Pearl was planning to engage the Jewlers row neighbors, hope they get it moving ASAP.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:52 PM
Chris

Per Naked Philly IG this morning.

https://www.instagram.com/naked.philly/?hl=en

New plans will be presented tonight for a luxury tower in Washington Square West. After Toll Brothers proposed a series of designs for a condo tower to take the place of several non-protected buildings along Jewelers' Row, the site sold to Pearl Properties earlier this year. A WSW Civic Association meeting this evening indicates the size has increased, with a FAR (floor-area-ratio) increasing from 1200% to %1493%.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Per Naked Philly IG this morning.

https://www.instagram.com/naked.philly/?hl=en

New plans will be presented tonight for a luxury tower in Washington Square West. After Toll Brothers proposed a series of designs for a condo tower to take the place of several non-protected buildings along Jewelers' Row, the site sold to Pearl Properties earlier this year. A WSW Civic Association meeting this evening indicates the size has increased, with a FAR (floor-area-ratio) increasing from 1200% to %1493%.
Just walked by that place yesterday and wished the worst for Toll Bros. Hopefully, Pearl can get this over the finish line.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 4:13 PM

Really hoping for a context sensitive design at ground level! Something that references the original buildings would be great since we missed out on a facadectomy

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 9:29 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Really hoping for a context sensitive design at ground level! Something that references the original buildings would be great since we missed out on a facadectomy
How's this work for you?
Working for me!

naked.philly
Exclusive: New Design for Jeweler's Row Tower
Pearl Properties presented a new design for a 367' tower, featuring 99 units, 50 parking spaces, and ground floor retail, with an eye towards a restaurant. There are refusals from a zoning perspective, so things could change moving forward. How are you feeling about this new approach?

702 Sansom Street 10-25-23 by

702 Sansom Street 10-25-23 c by

702 Sansom Street 10-25-23 b by

702 Sansom Street 10-25-23 d by

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 10:59 AM

That is a handsome building. I hope it doesn’t get NIMBY’d to death, because that’s the best possible design we’ll get for that plot. I could do without the 50 parking spots, but rich people need their cars, I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals