HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 10:35 PM
not a NIMBY

Tel Aviv

I read somewhere that Tel Aviv rated #4 on a list of the best party cities in the world. Coming from somewhat solemn Jerusalem, it was a breath of fresh Mediterranean air to spend a few days here waiting out the volcanic ash plume from Iceland.
Tel Aviv is messy, chaotic, dumpy looking in places, and dangerous for pedestrians on the sidewalk; but it seems to work and it does have a hip young vibe that keeps the city going all day long on the beaches along the Mediterranean and all night long in the clubs.
This was my Tel Aviv song worm:
Mazel tov! l'chaim!
I gotta feeling

Tel Aviv is known as the White City for its many mid twentieth art deco style buildings mainly painted white.

After a day wandering around Tel Aviv on my own, I stopped in at an internet cafe to catch up on email. The small group that I had toured northern Israel and Jerusalem with had disbanded the day before in Jerusalem and all of us were expecting to leave for home except the ash plume left most of our plans in a question mark. I was hoping I would get an email update from any of them if they had ended up in Tel Aviv but nothing.
Suddenly a familiar voice interrupted my internet focus asking me if I had any hashish! It was Michael and Susan from our little group. They had just arrived from Jerusalem and were staying in nearby old Jaffa and were on their way to find Avi and Nicholas who were staying at a hotel about 100 metres down the street from where I was sitting. Amazing in a city with a metro population of 3 million that we should meet by chance like that.
And no, I didn't have any hash.

Allenby Street sidewalk

Old Jaffa which is next door to Tel Aviv and has more of an Arab middle eastern flavour.

We ate at this very good Arab restaurant in old Jaffa. A choice of grilled meat on a kabob served with 12 salads. Delicious! My guide book on my Kindle said their bakery across the street might be the best in Israel.

This is the place to stay in the Tel Aviv area if you are on a tight budget and want to meet other travellers. My friends S&M had a room on the roof garden that featured an airplane bi-fold bathroom door.

I call this shot "Hanging at the Limp Wiener".

Dawn from my hotel room. I stayed at the City Hotel which was just off Ben Yehuda Street and a block or so from the beach.

from the roof garden of the Old Jaffa Hostel

Jaffa clock tower

entrance hall, Old Jaffa Hostel

Happy 62nd Israeli Independence Day! Flags flying everywhere for a happy celebration the day after Israeli Memorial Day, mourning for their fallen. Israel has built an impressive infrastructure and has an economy driven by an entrepreneurial spirit.

solar hot water heating is popular

The white plastic chairs gather at city hall to get ready for the Independence Day party.

I stopped to photograph this store window and Michael stopped to wait for me and I noticed that he was perfectly positioned for his reflection to fill one of the boxes!

Bad bank. Their atm retained my debit card and because of the national holidays I had to wait until Wednesday to get the card back. An angel who owns a bistro across the street that we were eating at phoned the bank's emergency phone number for me as my Hebrew is non-existant and they said show up at 9 am Wednesday with my passport and they would have the card for me.
The rude bank dude repeatedly denied they had my card or if they had it they would be mailing it to me from another location in 2 days. After taking my passport for ID, he more or less implied that now they had my card and my passport and what could I do about that?
After 15 minutes of bullshit pretending to make phone calls and shuffle paper on his desk, he threw the card and the passport on the desk. What a crappy bank was my lame parting shot.

Bistro Tel Aviv on Ben Yehuda. The owner spent 25 years in New York as a chef. The menu was very cosmopolitan. Although I enjoyed the fresh tasty healthy Mediterranean-middle eastern food throughout Israel, I had the best soba noodles in miso broth with chicken and vegetables here. Slurp! She also has BLTs, as in BACON. Since I considered my time in Israel to be my bacon rehab we expressed surprise that she would have bacon on the menu. She said of course! There is no law against serving bacon in Israel! They never said they were Kosher! My hotel kept Kosher so that meant that coffee with dairy was possible with breakfast as it was a no meat meal, but for lunch or dinner there was meat at the buffet, so then the coffee machine was covered with a sheet and coffee was only served in the hotel lobby, not in the restaurant, although it was made there under the sheet.

The next time we went, after retrieving the bank card and to thank her for her help, I had beef which was very good but Alberta beef is better!

One last construction shot with tower crane.
Frankfurt and northern Europe were open for air traffic again, so I left Ben Gurion International Airport at 5 am on Thursday 5 days late flying Lufthansa to Frankfurt. A quick change of planes to Calgary, also on Lufthansa, and I was home at noon! (9 or 10 hours difference I forget).

Israel was a unique and wonderful experience and I would definitely go back to see more and encourage others to check it out.

Jerusalem part 1

Jerusalem part 2

Tel Aviv

Svat

Rosh Pina and Kibbutz Kfar Hanassi

Tuba

Last edited by Jimby; May 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 11:45 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Awesome tour!

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 12:55 AM

Great stuff!

I used to come down alot to those Tel-Aviv beaches when I lived in Petah-Tikva.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 4:06 AM

As cool as it is seeing cities in Europe, the US, and Canada I want to thank you for showing all these places rarely seen on this forum. I've never seen such a indepth look at Tel-Aviv before (I'm sure I could have found tons if I looked specifically, though).

Thank you, it really looks neat and interesting!

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 5:16 AM
International

Loved all the pics, man. And as a budger traveler, I also dig hostels. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 10:02 PM

the greatest city in the middle east !

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 2:20 AM
robert die katze

Incredible! I'm so intrigued by Tel Aviv anyway. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 24, 2010, 7:21 AM
not a NIMBY

Thanks ColDayMan!

Thanks Darkoshvilli! You must miss the Mediterranean climate when Montreal is buried in snow!

Thanks E! I can't pretend I am showing a comprehensive look at Tel Aviv as I only walked around the area near the beach. There were distant skyscrapers that I think are in the 200m range in height and I had planned to photograph them but I got distracted having a good time and put the camera away...
I would like to go back and see more of Tel Aviv as well as the rest of Israel and Jordan too.

Thanks Kingofthehill! Although I didn't stay at the hostel, I checked it out and it is a funky clean place to stay. I think with hostels and Ys and available public transit, it would be easy to plan a cheap trip to Israel and well worth seeing.

Thanks jermm! I agree, but I only have Cairo to compare personally.
I would like to see the Tel Aviv metro area develop a subway/LRT mass transit as well as have dedicated bicycle lanes.
Because of the year-round temperate climate and flatness of the terrain, I thought there should be more bicycle usage than I saw, although I found the cyclists, motorcyclists, and silent electric scooter drivers dangerous zooming down the sidewalks probably because they know they would get killed in traffic.

Thanks OfCourse!

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 6:13 PM

Great pics! I love TA. The city (400,000 city, 3m metro) appears much larger than it is. Tel Aviv has unbelievable energy and excitement and, in that category, is comparable to NYC.

Just got back myself. I'll try and post pics shortly.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:42 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Beautiful!

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 9:27 PM

Very enjoyable, thanks!

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 3:22 AM

I don't recall seeing a Tel Aviv photo thread before. Some interesting architecture here! Thanks

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 4:25 AM

Thanks for the thread, pure awesomeness. It's been 10 years since I visited Tel Aviv, what a crazy city! I need to get back to Israel, and refresh my memory

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
Trendy.

Interesting... looks like a Middle Eastern version of a combined Miami and Havana.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:59 PM
arf

Excellent. I'm really enjoying all the recent threads Jimby.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 10:38 PM

Some very sharp camera work.

This is lovely:

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:31 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks everyone for your comments. I don't mean to revive an old thread but I wanted to acknowledge the last few comments.

Also I have to say I stand with the Prime Minister of Canada and his recent speech in Ottawa.
Peace.
http://www.israelunitycoalition.org/news/?p=6040

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:24 PM
video et taceo

the sort of thing you see here, when placed in contrast with the sort of thing you saw in the aleppo, syria thread from a while back, is why i tend to be significantly more pro-israel than is the norm among my peers.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:59 PM

Beyond anything I could have expected. What a great looking city and beautiful photos. Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:51 PM
Go Condo

Nice photos. Wish we here at Toronto could get some of their sun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos