HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:48 PM
I am the law!

I find one arch gimmicky on this clean, utilitarian design. I find the street interaction on the narrow end a failure.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I find one arch gimmicky on this clean, utilitarian design. I find the street interaction on the narrow end a failure.

The arch is a fairly prominent feature in some major landmark buildings around here, as shown above. So this builds on that theme. And it livens up what would otherwise be a very understated design.

I take your point on the other issue, though.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 9:05 PM
surely you agree with me

nah. the deep set arch is going to be awesome!

60% of the north side is 6 meter high curtain wall with a large outdoor patio on the canopy at the second floor. I think it'll engage the sidewalk on that side better than most buildings in the downtown....and the 53 meter high bookend will be dramatic from the sidewalk.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 6, 2022 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 12:11 AM

I absolutely love the arch and wish every second building downtown had one haha. Nice to see so much brick, and the recessed balconies.

My only small criticism is that the blank walls meeting the sidewalk create those blind corners where you go to turn and another person pops out coming the other way

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 12:51 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Vike, I love it!

A new old Exchange district building. We need like a dozen more of them.

The arch works and is a prominent feature of many old Winnipeg buildings both current and demolished.

McIntyre Block (demolished, this is the gravel lot beside 201 Portage)
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/imag...tyreblock1.jpg

A city chalked full of buildings of that scale, built up to the street, is a city you would want to live in.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jun 7, 2022 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:34 AM
keep the good times going

I love the arch, ties into so many buildings in this city as others have said.

Great job Vike - it looks spectacular.

And on the topic of arches, how could we forget this classic arch:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:35 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
I absolutely love the arch and wish every second building downtown had one haha. Nice to see so much brick, and the recessed balconies.

My only small criticism is that the blank walls meeting the sidewalk create those blind corners where you go to turn and another person pops out coming the other way
There were windows in that wall but it became a structural shear wall when it went to a precast structure so it couldn’t have any openings anymore. I agree. The sidewalk is very tight there and the city wouldn’t let us widen it. There is a refrigerator sized signal box built right on the property line there that the city wouldn’t move even though the entire street was redone. The streetlight at the corner is also right on the property line. Will run up the middle of a window. The initial design had a canopy along the sidewalk but the city wouldn’t relocate the lights along Donald so it got axed.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
There were windows in that wall but it became a structural shear wall when it went to a precast structure so it couldn’t have any openings anymore. I agree. The sidewalk is very tight there and the city wouldn’t let us widen it. There is a refrigerator sized signal box built right on the property line there that the city wouldn’t move even though the entire street was redone. The streetlight at the corner is also right on the property line. Will run up the middle of a window. The initial design had a canopy along the sidewalk but the city wouldn’t relocate the lights along Donald so it got axed.
Thanks for the explanations...I know there's always a lot going on behind the scenes. Must be frustrating sometimes!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
A gargoyle or two is a great idea.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 1:49 PM

Interesting. it's taken less than a day for posts about this building to shift from "wow", "fantastic". "beautiful" to "I don't like this/ I don't like that". Coming up next: "it's a travesty", "it's a dumpster fire", "only Winnipeg would allow something this hideous". Human nature is quite hilarious at times....the more we ponder something, the less we like it.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Interesting. it's taken less than a day for posts about this building to shift from "wow", "fantastic". "beautiful" to "I don't like this/ I don't like that". Coming up next: "it's a travesty", "it's a dumpster fire", "only Winnipeg would allow something this hideous". Human nature is quite hilarious at times....the more we ponder something, the less we like it.
Given the nature of this forum there is more pickiness here than you would see among the general public!

But generally speaking I think the reviews are very positive. I've certainly seen far worse. That doesn't mean people aren't going to pick a few nits here and there, though.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Given the nature of this forum there is more pickiness here than you would see among the general public!

But generally speaking I think the reviews are very positive. I've certainly seen far worse. That doesn't mean people aren't going to pick a few nits here and there, though.
Fair comments! For the record i like the building deign as well-I think it's going to look great.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:25 PM

Capital bone town. For those not in the trades, that means top shelf.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:05 PM

My only gripe from the images would be the way it sits on the site.

Pushing all that mass up against the sidewalk leads to a very unfriendly 'wall', rather than mediating the public and private.

The more revered towers of architectural history find a way to give something back to the public realm of the city. The plaza at the Seagram building, the courtyard of the Lever House. At least a setback. My 0.02, but I'm aware these aren't always choices of the architect...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:17 PM

The arch is an incredible feature. I think the design would be better with a few setbacks within the first 9 floors or so.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
The more revered towers of architectural history find a way to give something back to the public realm of the city. The plaza at the Seagram building, the courtyard of the Lever House. At least a setback. My 0.02, but I'm aware these aren't always choices of the architect...
IMO this works best when it is highly exceptional as it is in the case of the Seagram Building in NYC. A building with a fairly ordinary function like this one doesn't need a courtyard, plaza or setback... given the state of downtown Winnipeg, I'd say we need buildings that fill their parcels and define the street wall far more than we need more sparsely used plazas.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
IMO this works best when it is highly exceptional as it is in the case of the Seagram Building in NYC. A building with a fairly ordinary function like this one doesn't need a courtyard, plaza or setback... given the state of downtown Winnipeg, I'd say we need buildings that fill their parcels and define the street wall far more than we need more sparsely used plazas.
Completely agree, especially in light of the project's proximity to Millennium Library Park.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:29 PM

It's a beautiful building. Based on the number of rooms, it should add another 200 residents to downtown Winnipeg.

So there will be a 10,000 square foot restaurant. That's huge! I guess it will be another chain. What independent could afford that space?

I wonder what the cost of this building will be? I didn't see it listed in the article.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Something like this proposal in Montreal (IMO) would be perfect for the other side of Donald & St Mary. Montreal is building and proposing some great 4 to 8 storey buildings right now....I get that this proposal looks like 10 storeys but you could cut off the top 2 floors and it would still look good.

I am not sure why we don't see many/any of the quality 4-8 storey proposals in our downtown.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:39 PM

Absolutely. This is the kind of development that would also work along Graham/St Regis site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan