HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:11 PM

P3 has a project for 490 Shaftesbury. Going to bring out some real powerful NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:17 PM

If neighbourhood NIMBYs were boxers, then Tuxedo would be 1986 Mike Tyson.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:23 PM

i can already hear the future echoes from the empty nesters across the street, "WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN! THE ABSOLUTE BARBARITY OF IT ALLLLL!" A roundabout at Shaftesbury and Mount Batten would actually seem like a good idea to suggest if anyone is complaining about traffic.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Exciting news for film production in Winnipeg with the redevelopment of the old Nygard factory by Big Sky productions.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/new-moti...ipeg-1.5426879
the free press had a detailed article on this development posted last night on their site but it has since disappeared...

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the free press had a detailed article on this development posted last night on their site but it has since disappeared...
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...574413002.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 8:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was wondering about the status of this project myself... there haven't been any tidbits since the renderings surfaced here last month.
Today at the St Regis site, they were bringing in fill and appear to be grading the lot. So guessing this is a sign that nothing is happening there anytime soon.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 9:17 PM

[QUOTE=pspeid;9280271]I agree it's great news. IMO it shows investors believe that film production will continue to be strong in the province after Covid.

I think they will be changing their name...

Bigskytower.ca

Last edited by Labroco; May 14, 2021 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Today at the St Regis site, they were bringing in fill and appear to be grading the lot. So guessing this is a sign that nothing is happening there anytime soon.
I sure hope that’s not the case.. tear down a building only to leave it
Vacant :/

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I sure hope that’s not the case.. tear down a building only to leave it
Vacant :/
I can see the possibility that a lot of developers will pause projects at this time because of the skyrocketing costs of building materials, which analysts are predicting will come back down by mid 2022.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 2:08 PM

I couldn't find a Medical Arts Building-specific thread (other than the one from the cancelled MLLC redevelopment), so I'm posting this news story here:

Quote:
Reconstructive procedure
Medical Arts Building gets much more than a facelift in conversion to dwellings

By: Ben Waldman
Posted: 4:00 AM CDT Monday, May. 17, 2021

Regional leasing team lead Justin Sumagui checks out an expansive, rec-room-style foyer in the former Medical Arts Building. The project won the award of Renovation of the Year from the Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations.

A major rehabilitation was exactly what the doctor ordered for Winnipeg’s Medical Arts Building.

A recent multimillion-dollar retrofit has completely transformed the 15-storey former office building on Kennedy Street into 104 high-quality apartment units, with more than 14,000 square feet of ground-level commercial space, along with a fitness centre, yoga room and social lounge for residents. The renovation, led by local firm Number TEN Architectural Group, included a complete upgrade of the 1970s-built structure to meet modern code requirements, including the elevators, the heating and cooling systems, the parkade and more, and took more than two years to complete.

The expensive and complicated cosmetic and reconstructive surgery paid off earlier this month: the building began leasing, and in recognition of the revitalization of the property, it was given the title of Renovation of the Year by the Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations.

"We were really pleased to win this award," said Colleen Krempulec, an executive at Hazelview Investments, which bought the building in 2017 for $15.5 million when the company was known as Timbercreek Asset Management. "It does in some way remind us of the opportunity we saw here many years ago, and it feels like we’re right at the finish line. People will soon call the Arts Residences home."
More here, with some pictures: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...574435182.html

Interesting article about a great project that breathed new life into a building that had an uncertain future after the physicians left it and the plan to move Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries in there was cancelled. The article mentions ground floor commercial spaces... any word yet on what those will be?

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 3:14 PM

I'm very curious about the numbers with this building. Seems like it needed a TON of work, and wasn't cheap to begin with. They also invested heavily in art – there's local art everywhere in the building, including a huge mural on every floor. Certainly a lot more money than white drywall everywhere. I'm no expert at all but it's interesting to me that you hear so many devs talk about how hard it is to make the numbers work here, then have Hazelview make a big investment in art. Good for them.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:59 PM

With the skyrocketing increase in building materials across the board, has anyone here heard talk, anecdotal or proven factual, of sizeable projects being shelved for a year(s) moving forward as a result?

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I don't know how much of the block will need to be rebuilt with this, but I hope this construction project would include renewal of that block showing a new high standard for the public realm that can be implemented along the rest of the street as it gets refurbished. I know I'm wrong and it will be done with cobra lights and cement sidewalks with a single strip of dark bricks like everywhere else, though

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
With the skyrocketing increase in building materials across the board, has anyone here heard talk, anecdotal or proven factual, of sizeable projects being shelved for a year(s) moving forward as a result?
I've been watching the housing market for a couple years. Seems like there are very little, even zero, new homes going up in the newer developments.

Sage creek only has a few up for sale.
Devonshire Park has zero up for sale.

This is on realtors.ca. So maybe they're still going with direct sales. But there were always numerous homes for sale online in those developments. Seems things have slowed there, maybe why the re-sale market is so ridiculous.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I've been watching the housing market for a couple years. Seems like there are very little, even zero, new homes going up in the newer developments.

Sage creek only has a few up for sale.
Devonshire Park has zero up for sale.

This is on realtors.ca. So maybe they're still going with direct sales. But there were always numerous homes for sale online in those developments. Seems things have slowed there, maybe why the re-sale market is so ridiculous.
This was just posted in the Canada subforum. Housing starts have been fairly low here... Winnipeg saw a number similar to smaller cities like Saskatoon and Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This was just posted in the Canada subforum. Housing starts have been fairly low here... Winnipeg saw a number similar to smaller cities like Saskatoon and Victoria.

It would be interesting to see why these numbers are low.

I know sage creek is looking at servicing its last phase of their build-out. Waverley west is getting quite full. Are there just limited lot options within the city?

Or have the recent price increases in lumber resulted in many would-be buyers get priced out of a new build and we've hit a peak on this craziness.

I spoke with a friend that lives in a new development in an exurban town. He says houses are sitting on pause for a lot longer after the foundations are poured. He thinks there is a longer waiting period for houses to get their l8mber for framing.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
It would be interesting to see why these numbers are low.

I know sage creek is looking at servicing its last phase of their build-out. Waverley west is getting quite full. Are there just limited lot options within the city?

Or have the recent price increases in lumber resulted in many would-be buyers get priced out of a new build and we've hit a peak on this craziness.

I spoke with a friend that lives in a new development in an exurban town. He says houses are sitting on pause for a lot longer after the foundations are poured. He thinks there is a longer waiting period for houses to get their l8mber for framing.
It's not just material pricing but material availability that is causing problems. Even when you are willing to pay the inflated price it might take a lot longer to get building products than it did last year.

There were also fewer lots serviced in 2020 because all of the developers paused construction for the first half of the season. So there are fewer lots to be bought in 2021.

Ladco is starting Highland Pointe this year and it has taken a huge amount of work to get the sewer to the development. I think it should be rolling this year, if it isn't already. But many other developments in the city are winding down.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 6:56 PM

Thanks for the info.

There's still a lot of land to be built on in the current developments, both in Winnipeg and just outside.. Seems things just seem slow for the reasons we already know about.

Of the 4400 starts, is that just single family or includes condos, etc? I guess I have no context on that number either. CMHC said there were record starts in April and May was a bit slower. Honestly 4400 seems like a lot to me. Maybe it's just perception and things are actually humming right along.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 7:03 PM

That 4390 is seasonally adjusted annual rates. Whatever that means. Some kind of yearly number. There were a few hundred starts in April.

Single detached starts up, all others down.

Info is available here.
https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/profe...7-4663355d5803

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan