HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:28 PM

[QUOTE=cparker73;9411198]

Auburn does better by the in-state students being 60 percent of its student body. Most of its students seem to come from of course, the Lee County area, but also the areas around Huntsville, which I would assume are engineering majors.
Quote:

Yes, unfortunately they get a big chunk from Huntsville and I would venture to guess about 80-90% of them are engineer majors. And guess what? They move back to Huntsville after graduating and it's just widening the engineering graduate pool in this city. I notice most of the Bama engineer grads either move back home or they move to the Northwest

Another thing I'd be interested in is how many of the out-of-state students stay in Alabama after graduation. If they're high-achieving students, there's not much to keep them in Alabama ,whether it be for graduate school or their first job. Those students will be lost to the top graduate programs mainly in the Northeast or will flee to one of the many Fortune 500s that call Atlanta home -- Alabama's loss. I know Atlanta is such a big draw for Auburn graduates that when they started selling Georgia car tags with the Auburn logo, they sold more of those than UGA, which upset some of the good ol' boys in the Georgia Legislature.
This is why the administration is pushing for more in-state students and have lowered the qualifications for in-state scholarships. While the goal was to attract the out-of-state students and get them to stay in the state, it just didn't pan out that way. I don't blame the kids for moving back to where they're from and it was a unrealistic goal set by UA to even think they would consider staying in this state for employment. Alabama is not far behind Auburn in the amount of collegiate license plates in Georgia. We are getting more kids from Georgia than ever before and our graduates are moving to Atlanta at a higher rate than before too.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
I think you should contact Dr. Bell and voice your concerns. He is receptive to concerns and new ideas. Also, he usually responds in a timely manner.

President’s Office
The University of Alabama
Box 870100
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487

I have already sent three different letters to Dr. Bell, the Board, etc. I received ZERO responses. When Judy Bonner was president, she returned my call on a Saturday morning, and she apologized for not having called me sooner. Dr. Bell is NOT interested in responding to alumni like me who are not down with his actions. Trust me, I have tried. His failure to appreciate my concerns and his failure to include alumni in major campus decisions has been very revealing.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:35 PM

[QUOTE=chadinhsv;9411332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post

Auburn does better by the in-state students being 60 percent of its student body. Most of its students seem to come from of course, the Lee County area, but also the areas around Huntsville, which I would assume are engineering majors.

This is why the administration is pushing for more in-state students and have lowered the qualifications for in-state scholarships. While the goal was to attract the out-of-state students and get them to stay in the state, it just didn't pan out that way. I don't blame the kids for moving back to where they're from and it was a unrealistic goal set by UA to even think they would consider staying in this state for employment. Alabama is not far behind Auburn in the amount of collegiate license plates in Georgia. We are getting more kids from Georgia than ever before and our graduates are moving to Atlanta at a higher rate than before too.

UA will continue to lose to Auburn in the enrollment of mid range (ACT of 24-29) students as long as it is perceived to be the school with the less restrictive admissions policy, and is seen as the party school. Time to raise standards! Past time.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post

UA will continue to lose to Auburn in the enrollment of mid range (ACT of 24-29) students as long as it is perceived to be the school with the less restrictive admissions policy, and is seen as the party school. Time to raise standards! Past time.
Here's another battle for students that Auburn is getting an upper hand on other schools. They're offering students in the Atlanta suburbs in Fulton County schools free tuition or in-state tuition for virtual classes that would allow them to transfer into Auburn as a junior upon graduation from high school.

This is a very smart way to increase the physical plant of the university and enroll more students who are likely to be more diverse without spending much money to do so. At the same time, they will get students who are more than prepared for college when they arrive on campus.

Auburn agrees to offer all Fulton County students free or low-cost classes

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 8:17 PM

I feel like this is pretty significant news.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story...am/5934091001/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:28 AM

Chad, that is great news. I love to see the Engineering school continue to expand. But, the news that will be released by the University is gigantic in comparison. Again, I hate waiting, but, when it's released, I want to discuss details and impact.

Funny to hear this "Auburn is winning on the mediocre students" talk. The University of Alabama is winning on the best and the brightest. It's like telling Coach Saban, "Hey, Coach, I think your doing a great job recruiting all those mediocre players. We're gonna win us another Championship with those boys!!!" I'd love to see his response. LOL

https://news.ua.edu/2021/10/ua-enrol...erit-scholars/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Chad, that is great news. I love to see the Engineering school continue to expand. But, the news that will be released by the University is gigantic in comparison. Again, I hate waiting, but, when it's released, I want to discuss details and impact.

Funny to hear this "Auburn is winning on the mediocre students" talk. The University of Alabama is winning on the best and the brightest. It's like telling Coach Saban, "Hey, Coach, I think your doing a great job recruiting all those mediocre players. We're gonna win us another Championship with those boys!!!" I'd love to see his response. LOL

https://news.ua.edu/2021/10/ua-enrol...erit-scholars/
Mediocre? The avg ACT of UA is now 26.1. We could use a lot more of the ACT students who have scores of 24-30 for that would reduce the need for admitting the lower tier students (ACT of 23 or less). Plus, most of those students are in state. UA needs more of those for that reason as well. You can take in more mid tier students as long as you reduce your admission of lower tier students.

What I don't get about you Packer is that you never join our call to raise admission standards at UA. I get the love and rah rah talk about UA. I share in that, however, raising standards would in the long run, greatly improve the school's quality.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 1:56 AM

I thought you may want to thumb through some statistics. (Check out page 5)

https://uasystem.edu/images/document...ta-Summary.pdf

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
I thought you may want to thumb through some statistics. (Check out page 5)

https://uasystem.edu/images/document...ta-Summary.pdf
Thanks, I have seen most of that data already at the OIRA pages of each school. You get more up to date info there as well. But I appreciate you sharing it! We both love UA and I am grateful for fellow alumni like you who do.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 4:26 PM

It's absolutely OK for people to disagree. I just feel that the approach of recruiting and growing the number of students who excell in academics will be great for the University in the long run. They are already on third base academically and have an excellent chance to excel in college and in life. They have a great chance of becoming successful alumni who will hopefully remember and give back to their alma mater. I feel that a larger number of honors students helps challenge the average students to be better. When I want to learn, I want to compete against someone who is better than me. I think it makes me better. I remember an old football coach who used to tell us, "Git with it or git gone!!!" In other words, don't run from a challenge. The fact is, some potential students are intimidated by other students who are ahead of them academically or are different from them culturally, geographically, racially, or some other way. Those students always seem to search for situations where almost everyone is like them. A University should provide a world (universal) experience. I believe in opportunities for students who come from school districts that are underfunded and don't provide the breadth of opportunities that wealthier districts provide. Standardized tests could become a dinosaur at most universities in the near future. UA and most other universities are not considering standardized tests, at least, through next fall. I feel that other measures, like GPA, high school courses, student activity should and will play a heavier role in admissions. The University of Alabama has been aggressively recruiting and rapidly growing academic achievers who could go to any University in the Nation. When we get them on campus and show them what we have to offer in academics, facilities, faculty, and hands-on experience, many are "wowed" by what we have to offer and climb on board. All quality measures are a moving target. We have to keep building and improving. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the University of Alabama is much better today than ten years ago and certainly light-years better than when I roamed the campus. We are in fantastic shape, financially, and the plan Dr. Witt brought to the campus years ago is continuing to bloom. I think we have the best and most supportive Board of Trustees we have ever had. All boats are rising and foundations are being laid to keep momentum moving in the right direction for decades to come. There are always things that can make us better and well thought-out input is always welcomed. I understand your frustration with the undulating ranking services. But, I think they have lost their way in determining what is a great University and I think they have lost a lot of influence on prospective students. The growing number of high-achieving students we are recruiting certainly don't seem concerned with them. I truly believe most of the students who didn't score as high on their standardized tests will be challenged in college and succeed or, at least, be better off for the experience. Call me an optimist, call me a fool, call me a son-of-a-bitch, I don't care. Just don't call me shorty. ROLL TIDE FOREVER!!!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
It's absolutely OK for people to disagree. I just feel that the approach of recruiting and growing the number of students who excell in academics will be great for the University in the long run. They are already on third base academically and have an excellent chance to excel in college and in life. They have a great chance of becoming successful alumni who will hopefully remember and give back to their alma mater. I feel that a larger number of honors students helps challenge the average students to be better. When I want to learn, I want to compete against someone who is better than me. I think it makes me better. I remember an old football coach who used to tell us, "Git with it or git gone!!!" In other words, don't run from a challenge. The fact is, some potential students are intimidated by other students who are ahead of them academically or are different from them culturally, geographically, racially, or some other way. Those students always seem to search for situations where almost everyone is like them. A University should provide a world (universal) experience. I believe in opportunities for students who come from school districts that are underfunded and don't provide the breadth of opportunities that wealthier districts provide. Standardized tests could become a dinosaur at most universities in the near future. UA and most other universities are not considering standardized tests, at least, through next fall. I feel that other measures, like GPA, high school courses, student activity should and will play a heavier role in admissions. The University of Alabama has been aggressively recruiting and rapidly growing academic achievers who could go to any University in the Nation. When we get them on campus and show them what we have to offer in academics, facilities, faculty, and hands-on experience, many are "wowed" by what we have to offer and climb on board. All quality measures are a moving target. We have to keep building and improving. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the University of Alabama is much better today than ten years ago and certainly light-years better than when I roamed the campus. We are in fantastic shape, financially, and the plan Dr. Witt brought to the campus years ago is continuing to bloom. I think we have the best and most supportive Board of Trustees we have ever had. All boats are rising and foundations are being laid to keep momentum moving in the right direction for decades to come. There are always things that can make us better and well thought-out input is always welcomed. I understand your frustration with the undulating ranking services. But, I think they have lost their way in determining what is a great University and I think they have lost a lot of influence on prospective students. The growing number of high-achieving students we are recruiting certainly don't seem concerned with them. I truly believe most of the students who didn't score as high on their standardized tests will be challenged in college and succeed or, at least, be better off for the experience. Call me an optimist, call me a fool, call me a son-of-a-bitch, I don't care. Just don't call me shorty. ROLL TIDE FOREVER!!!

We will have to agree to disagree over Finus St John and the rest of the Board. They are WAY overpaid and are obsessed with proving they aren't racists. In doing so, they are wasting precious resources as they pat themselves on the back.

I think you underestimate the harm that can come when the football program falters, as it inevitably will. Any plan that depends on enrollment growth, in an era of fewer potential students, is dangerous. We would do much better to follow Clemon's path. Not everyone belongs at the state flagship. Plenty of other schools in Alabama for those students.

And those students can always transfer to UA once they prove themselves. This is what Auburn does with AUM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:56 PM

Remember, Dr. Witt was hired in 2003 and began implementing his growth plan immediately, well before Coach Saban was hired in 2007. The Athletic Department is in great shape and, eventhough I don't think Coach Saban is leaving anytime soon, has the infrastructure for continued success. Also, Coach Oats and Coach Murphy aren't chopped liver. RTR

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Remember, Dr. Witt was hired in 2003 and began implementing his growth plan immediately, well before Coach Saban was hired in 2007. The Athletic Department is in great shape and, eventhough I don't think Coach Saban is leaving anytime soon, has the infrastructure for continued success. Also, Coach Oats and Coach Murphy aren't chopped liver. RTR
Speaking of Oats, the university needs to stop screwing around and hurry up with the proposed renovation of Coleman Coliseum. If we don't show a commitment to him like he shows with the university, then he will leave. Why we have sat around and not done it already is beyond me. No reason for the University of Alabama to have one of the most outdated arenas in the SEC.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 2:54 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Speaking of Oats, the university needs to stop screwing around and hurry up with the proposed renovation of Coleman Coliseum. If we don't show a commitment to him like he shows with the university, then he will leave. Why we have sat around and not done it already is beyond me. No reason for the University of Alabama to have one of the most outdated arenas in the SEC.
Agreed. What Coleman has in size, it lacks in experience. I'm sure it was the perfect facility back before televised games existed, but we no longer need to pack in 15,000+ fans for folks to get to experience a game. W

When I first heard that Auburn was building a facility smaller than Beard-Eves I thought it was ridiculous, but now it really looks like a smart move.

I'd be fine keeping the building, but gutting it inside to make games truly special for those who physically visit.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 9:15 PM

Quality > quantity for me. I didn't like the initial proposal to reduce the seating from 15k to under 10k, but that's honestly the way things are trending across sports. Most want a brand new arena all together; but I'm like you - I enjoy the exteriors of Coleman. The interiors are what need adjusting.

When programs like Ole Miss and Clemson get new arenas, it's time for us to wake up.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Quality > quantity for me. I didn't like the initial proposal to reduce the seating from 15k to under 10k, but that's honestly the way things are trending across sports. Most want a brand new arena all together; but I'm like you - I enjoy the exteriors of Coleman. The interiors are what need adjusting.

When programs like Ole Miss and Clemson get new arenas, it's time for us to wake up.
Maybe we could afford it if each college at UA would stop hiring their own "diversity" directors. Isn't one Office of DEI enough? And why was it even necessary? UA already had more Black students than most other state flagships. We also had one of the nation's largest number of Black faculty.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Maybe we could afford it if each college at UA would stop hiring their own "diversity" directors. Isn't one Office of DEI enough? And why was it even necessary? UA already had more Black students than most other state flagships. We also had one of the nation's largest number of Black faculty.
Give. It. A. Rest.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Give. It. A. Rest.

Yeah, that is not going to happen, till more UA alumni find out and demand change. You might be ok with money being wasted on Neo-Marxist indoctrination and thought policing, but I am not. And I don't believe most UA alumni would be ok with it if they knew.

If someone asks why we don't have money for something, why would I fail to remind folks about the waste of resources going to UA DEI?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 9:35 PM

A little good news. Still not the "BIG" news that is coming. But, Record graduate rates and retention rates are pretty darned good news. RTR

https://news.ua.edu/2021/10/student-...duation-rates/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:22 PM

Quote:
A little good news. Still not the "BIG" news that is coming. But, Record graduate rates and retention rates are pretty darned good news. RTR

https://news.ua.edu/2021/10/student-...duation-rates/
This is fantastic news Packer. Thanks for bringing that.

****Message to all****

Let's try to get this back on track. I get a lot of my UA information from this place and I would hate for this to get contentious. No issues in stating your case but lets not keep saying the same thing over and over.

Roll Tide!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast