HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhikid

My dad loved buying books that mentioned his name or his groups.
Who is your dad unhikid? (and what were the names of his groups)

I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Yes, I saw many shows at Madame Wong's in Chinatown as well as Madam Wong's West in Santa Monica. Around 1982 I was in a band that played at both clubs about a half-dozen times. I'm trying to recall the names of other clubs I went to. Hong Kong Cafe, Mabuhay Gardens, Cathay de Grande, Club Lingerie, The Anti-Club, among others. I'm sure I was at Club 88 once or twice but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. The venue I went to more than any other was the Starwood, at Santa Monica Blvd. and Crescent Heights. I saw around 50 or 60 shows there...great memories. Never got to visit the legendary Masque in Hollywood, alas.

I once paid $4 for a show at the Whiskey A Go Go with Devo, Blondie, and the Ramones on the same bill. They were all relatively unknown at the time.

I was never a punk per se. The local alternative music scene was incredibly diverse and attracted all manner of odd ducks, myself included.
Ah Madame Wong's, as immortalized in the Circle Jerks' "I Just Want Some Skank," "Let's go to the Hong Kong/Breaking glass at Madame Wong's/Let's go get a pint of booze/getting drunk getting loose" i.e. here at 3:25.

When we were old enough to pile into my RX3 and head from Santa Barbara to LA in the mid-80s for shows, the hardcore scene was pretty much over, though we saw some good gigs at the Olympic (Circle Jerks, Vandals, Fear et al) but mostly the postpunk thing was happening, Butthole Surfers and Alien Sex Fiend and those characters. I was there for the July '86 riot at a Cramps show at the Palladium (there was a similar incident at a Ramones show about two months later). The LAPD, whom I now revere, were very quick to hassle kids and crack heads, God bless 'em. Here's five-0 at the Palladium in 1984:

lapl

My impression of LA at the time? It was pretty bleak. And comparatively treeless—few of the now-giant sidewalk-destroying ficus had been planted, or at least had grown much. The smog was like pea soup. I just recall thinking it a giant concrete hellscape. In another clip from The Decline here's Eugene, at 8:15, summing up life in LA, 1980:

Q: The pent-up aggression, where does that come from?
Eugene: Well with me it just comes from, like, living in the city, just seeing all the ugly old people, and just the *ing buses, and just the dirt, that's what I see all the time, so I'm just *ing bummed, thinking about that.

When I moved here in the mid-90s it was still the LA of the riots, crack, and you had to seek out your fun. LA seemed just emerging from the intellectual vacuity of the 1970s. Yes, now we have immigration and homelessness and overdevelopment, but my God has this place gentrified. And has trees. More to the point, in relation to the NLA thread, barely a day goes by, certainly not a weekend, where there isn't some amazing LA history-related activity, whether it be tours or lectures or film screenings or what-have-you. I'd say we're living in a golden age, but of course we wouldn't recognize it as such, during.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I don't want to preempt Handsome Stranger's recollections, but here's a little info I found.
Club Lingerie
6507 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90028
I appreciate the assist in finding the address! I tried to figure it out by doing a little dumpster diving (digging through reams of paper I hang onto for no apparent reason) looking for flyers for shows at Club Lingerie. No such luck. But I did happen across this Club 88 artifact. The bands listed are unknown to me.

I have a lot of flyers for shows I never went to. Here's one of them. Pretty accurate depiction of Los Angeles punk couture in 1981.

Just want to add one observation - the hardcore punks I knew, every single one of them, had been sent as kids in the 1960s and 1970s to very strict and repressive Catholic schools. They all had stories to tell about what that was like.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Good to see some other musicians here at NLA!

You musicians on here have to get together. This thread needs it's very own band. I can see it now -

If you don't want to write your own material, some suggestions for covers -

"79th and Sunset" by Humble Pie

"Driving Down Alvarado" by Anne McCue

"Bunker Hill" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Goodnight Hollywood Blvd" by Ryan Adams

"I Love L.A." by Randy Newman

"Pico-Union District" by Psycho Realm

"64 Bars on Wilshire" by Barney Kessel

"The World Began in Eden and Ended in Los Angeles" by Phil Ochs

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I don't want to preempt Handsome Stranger's recollections, but here's a little info I found. The following is from rockandrollroadmap.com:
Once a very popular club site for the late-night set. Don't blink when you drive by as it is very easy to miss.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane's Addiction and Nirvana all hit their stage in the '80s, and by the early '90s, it was the hottest Hollywood rock venue this side of the Whisky.

Club Lingerie
6507 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90028
One of the commenters claims to have sold cocaine there in 1984 while working as a security guard.

The Club Lingerie name still appears on the GSV images up until 2009 (below). Since then, the building seems to have been repainted in a different style almost every year.

GSV
Thank-you, Hoss! I actually do remember the place now. I went there several times for drinks with friends, but never played there. This was around 1991 to 1994, I'm not sure of the exact date.

Another place I just remembered was the Knitting Factory. It was located inside of this building on Hollywood Blvd. I never played there, either, though friends of mine did.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post

Our band was named "The Afflictions."
Otis, are you sure your band wasn't named "Afflicted" ?

EBAY ASKING....$75.00

"Friday February 24, 1984 Olympic Auditorium, FEAR with special guests, Circle Jerks, Vandals, Sin 34, Toxic Reasons and Afflicted"

I'm kidding. I'm sure you know the name of your own band.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:00 AM

Unknown 24 hour cafe on La Cienega?

Does anyone remember the name of this cafe that used to be on La Cienega Blvd, between Santa Monica and Melrose, on the east side of the street?

This would be late '80s. It was a sit-down cafe, with waiters and menus. It had normal tables, no couches or booths or anything like that. It was open 24 hours, so my then-girlfriend and I would often end up there after a night out. We'd usually be there between 2 and 3 AM. We'd order espressos and, I think, a side order of french fries.

Radio DJ Rodney Bingenheimer was always there, every time, sitting alone at a table near the rear of the restaurant. I am no longer sure of the exact location, but it would be somewhere in the green area:

This Le Petit Bistro may be the same building:

This was one of the very few 24/7 places in LA at the time, so it should(?) be easy for LA noirishers to remember.

I can't remember the name of the place, and it's driving me nuts. But for some reason, I think the name was something animal or safari related - maybe something like Flamingo, or Giraffe, or Elephants... or perhaps I am wrong about the name.

I asked several friends about the place, and they remember it, too (including the ever-present Rodney), but none of us can remember the name of the place.

Does this place ring any bells with LA Noirishers?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:03 AM

I just saw your comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry
"We saw some good gigs at the Olympic (Circle Jerks, Vandals, Fear et al."

Beaudry, could this be the poster for the gig you saw?

If so..you can buy it HERE, but it's kind of expensive.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:57 AM

CHUTES PARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwedge

I agree that the ride is probably a backdrop, and an early one at that,
since the Chutes Theater is missing next to the ride on the north/right.
Good eye FW! I didn't notice the theater is missing. (and for some reason I thought the right side of the slide would be West. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge

The Chutes Theater opened in December 1901, further dating the backdrop photo.
PRE-1901. Now that is sum serious sleuthin'.

just so fun / here's a close up of the photographer's stamp

I'm looking through directories as we speak.

UPDATE:

LAPL / 1902 city directory

I thought Mr. Kennett might have had another gallery downtown.

(now we know he lived at 2107 S. Main Street)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 24, 2018 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:34 AM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Thank-you, Hoss! I actually do remember the place now. I went there several times for drinks with friends, but never played there. This was around 1991 to 1994, I'm not sure of the exact date.

Another place I just remembered was the Knitting Factory. It was located inside of this building on Hollywood Blvd. I never played there, either, though friends of mine did.
Now I have old Richard Blade promos for the club running through my head.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just saw your comment.

Beaudry, could this be the poster for the gig you saw?

If so..you can buy it HERE, but it's kind of expensive.
Ha! Yep. There was another show about the same time with Youth Brigade, too. I used to have a ton of fliers and ticket stubs, mostly from the legendary shows at the Goleta Valley Community Center and Casa de la Raza in SB, but they were all stolen from me a few years ago. The only time I've been victim of a crime that I actually cared about! (Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I'd hung on to—and collected more of—stuff from that period. Especially the shirts. A vintage Dead Kennedys or Misfits shirt can run four figures now. [Not that I'd ever sell any of it.])

I was just reading about how the punk scene was fueled by Goldenvoice, and Goldenvoice existed as a way to launder drug money. How noirish is that?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:41 AM

All this reminiscing about misspent youth seems to stray from our architectural duties, so on a related note—here's an image of some punk kids, miscreant hoods up to no good, on the run from the law in what movie, and where? Bonus points if you name their juvenile gang!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
You musicians on here have to get together. This thread needs it's very own band. I can see it now -

If you don't want to write your own material, some suggestions for covers -

"79th and Sunset" by Humble Pie

"Driving Down Alvarado" by Anne McCue

"Bunker Hill" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Goodnight Hollywood Blvd" by Ryan Adams

"I Love L.A." by Randy Newman

"Pico-Union District" by Psycho Realm

"64 Bars on Wilshire" by Barney Kessel

"The World Began in Eden and Ended in Los Angeles" by Phil Ochs

An excellent notion, Noir_Noir! I'm honored to be included in such select company; my own clubland CV is far more modest than theirs.

But if I may, I'd like to suggest one more selection: "Theme from 77 Sunset Strip."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Does anyone remember the name of this cafe that used to be on La Cienega Blvd, between Santa Monica and Melrose, on the east side of the street?

This would be late '80s. It was a sit-down cafe, with waiters and menus. It had normal tables, no couches or booths or anything like that. It was open 24 hours, so my then-girlfriend and I would often end up there after a night out. We'd usually be there between 2 and 3 AM. We'd order espressos and, I think, a side order of french fries.

Radio DJ Rodney Bingenheimer was always there, every time, sitting alone at a table near the rear of the restaurant.

This Le Petit Bistro may be the same building:

This was one of the very few 24/7 places in LA at the time, so it should(?) be easy for LA noirishers to remember.

I can't remember the name of the place, and it's driving me nuts. But for some reason, I think the name was something animal or safari related - maybe something like Flamingo, or Giraffe, or Elephants... or perhaps I am wrong about the name.

I asked several friends about the place, and they remember it, too (including the ever-present Rodney), but none of us can remember the name of the place.

Does this place ring any bells with LA Noirishers?
It doesn't sound "animal or safari related", but could it have been Pennyfeathers at 631 N La Cienega Boulevard (the same address as Le Petit Bistro)? It appears in the 1987 CD, and the LA Times wrote about it in 1989. From that article, The Food's the Star at 24-Hour Pennyfeathers:
Are those actors, maybe? Pennyfeathers is the La Cienega cousin of a Greenwich Village hangout, a 24-hour place that's said not to really get going until after midnight. Of course it's only about 7 now, but possibly the striking, gorgeously dressed young couple that just glided in the door might be the first swallows of spring, as it were.

So we can go back to our food. What do we have here? As a 24-hour place, Pennyfeathers is, in effect, a sort of upscale version of the Pantry. There are moments of Italian food, and a quiche du jour , but basically it's American fare.
The review also mentions the burgers, the barbecue chicken and ribs, the short ribs, the soup and the "chocolate Grand Marnier mousse cake with chocolate cookie crust".

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
When we were old enough to pile into my RX3 and head from Santa Barbara to LA in the mid-80s for shows, the hardcore scene was pretty much over, though we saw some good gigs at the Olympic (Circle Jerks, Vandals, Fear et al) but mostly the postpunk thing was happening, Butthole Surfers and Alien Sex Fiend and those characters. I was there for the July '86 riot at a Cramps show at the Palladium (there was a similar incident at a Ramones show about two months later). The LAPD, whom I now revere, were very quick to hassle kids and crack heads, God bless 'em. Here's five-0 at the Palladium in 1984:

lapl

My impression of LA at the time? It was pretty bleak. And comparatively treeless—few of the now-giant sidewalk-destroying ficus had been planted, or at least had grown much. The smog was like pea soup. I just recall thinking it a giant concrete hellscape. In another clip from The Decline here's Eugene, at 8:15, summing up life in LA, 1980:

Q: The pent-up aggression, where does that come from?
Eugene: Well with me it just comes from, like, living in the city, just seeing all the ugly old people, and just the *ing buses, and just the dirt, that's what I see all the time, so I'm just *ing bummed, thinking about that.

When I moved here in the mid-90s it was still the LA of the riots, crack, and you had to seek out your fun. LA seemed just emerging from the intellectual vacuity of the 1970s. Yes, now we have immigration and homelessness and overdevelopment, but my God has this place gentrified. And has trees. More to the point, in relation to the NLA thread, barely a day goes by, certainly not a weekend, where there isn't some amazing LA history-related activity, whether it be tours or lectures or film screenings or what-have-you. I'd say we're living in a golden age, but of course we wouldn't recognize it as such, during.
Beaudry, that's a fascinating and relevatory take on LA. It reflects the opinion I often heard when I was living in the USC dorms in the early '80s from non-Angelenos who looked at the morning haze and called it smog. Of course, if it had all been smog and not 75% fog, we would all have been dead, but then, all most of these people ever saw of LA was the route between USC and LAX.

I, on the other hand, grew up in the Crescenta Valley, and my range was mostly Pasadena and Glendale, which were at the time open and heavily treed. Traffic congestion was minimal, and only occurred at rush hour.

My own comparison of then with now is naturally the opposite of yours, but I'd say we're both right. We have simply witnessed the proceedings from different vantage points.

Regarding Black Flag, their appearances hereabouts had the reputation of attracting violent malefactors. Justified or not, this made the group persona non grata with officials all over the area.

I recall once that they were booked to play a daytime gig at La Cañada High School. Everybody got tickets. But the show never came off, because the Sheriffs compelled the school officials--who had NO CLUE who this group was--to cancel it.

Too bad. It would have been epic.

EDIT: Writing this dislodged some additional info from my memory. I did not recall it quite correctly. This was supposed to be a stealth gig; the group booked it because it was as far away as possible from any problems. They just wanted to play. But somehow word got out, and punkers--who, shall we say, were very conspicuous in those environs--gathered in advance of the show, which alarmed school officials, who cancelled the show and summoned the Sheriffs to break things up.

For my part, I've known a lot of punkers, and they were just people. Punk was all about getting back to the basics of rock for most of them, at least in musical terms.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Apr 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM. Reason: Revising and extending my remarks.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossc View Post
it doesn't sound "animal or safari related", but could it have been pennyfeathers at 631 n la cienega boulevard (the same address as le petit bistro)? It appears in the 1987 cd, and the la times wrote about it in 1989. From that article, the food's the star at 24-hour pennyfeathers:

The review also mentions the burgers, the barbecue chicken and ribs, the short ribs, the soup and the "chocolate grand marnier mousse cake with chocolate cookie crust".
Pennyfeathers!

THAT'S IT, Hoss, thank you so much! I've been trying to remember the name, on and off, for about two years!

On the contrary, I would say that the name IS animal related - at least, in a sense - by the word feathers. One of the other names I kept thinking up was "Birds", so the word feathers was at least in my brain to some degree.

Thanks again, Hoss! - finding out the name is like finally getting a two year old itch scratched!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:

Who is your dad unhikid? (and what were the names of his groups)

I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING
Not at all, Bobby Sheen was his name. He dropped out of school to replace Grady Chapman (who was a pimp, robber, and had a blurb about his actions in JET Magazine) who was having "legal" troubles as one of the lead singers of "The Robins". He stayed with them from late 57 to about 61, then met up with Phil Spector and he recorded him as a solo artist (phil really liked high tenor singers), then Phil teamed him up with the hottest background group in the business "The Blossoms" and they had a top ten hit as "Bob B Soxx and the Blue Jean" with "Zip Ah De Doo Dah" in 62. He stayed with Phil on and off for years but always went back to the Robins/Coasters.

Most of his friends made it, and when they did he was always proud and would pull out his album and say " Glenn Campbell was my guitar player" or " Cher was our background singer" .... "Dionne Warwick mother made the best coffee on the road". I never really got it until after he passed. I asked just about every person alive who he talked highly off and they always had great memories of him. And cher confirmed everything he said. Im still trying to find a photo host but till then here is a youtube clip.

Video Link
Dick says "Ive known this next man since he was a baby" .

Last edited by unihikid; Apr 25, 2018 at 4:18 AM. Reason: bad link

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:19 PM

I did not have any Druids in the family as far as I know, but I did have an aunt who was a Rosacrucian.... I was looking at the Burbank contingent to see if I could recognize a face, but no luck. 1925 was a bit before my time. I was also trying to see if any of the buildings were recognizable, and I think that the large brick building behind and slightly to the right of the Burbank contingent of Druids is the First Christian Church, which was under construction at the time. If so, then the location of the picture behind the Burbank group would probably be at Glenoaks Blvd. (then 4th street) and Tujunga. This would be in the center of the photo. The next street behind the group would be Verdugo. None of the houses that are visible in the picture behind the group are there now, or if they are, they are remodeled beyond recognition. Tujunga above Glenoaks is now solidly apartment buildings. The buildings along Glenoaks are also not there anymore, as far as I can tell. The fish-eye lens used for the panoramic picture distorts a lot in the way of things in the background. Anyway, that is my contribution to the location.

Last edited by oldstuff; Apr 24, 2018 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
CHUTES PARK

Good eye FW! I didn't notice the theater is missing. (and for some reason I thought the right side of the slide would be West. )

PRE-1901. Now that is sum serious sleuthin'.

just so fun / here's a close up of the photographer's stamp

I'm looking through directories as we speak.

UPDATE:

LAPL / 1902 city directory

I thought Mr. Kennett might have had another gallery downtown.

(now we know he lived at 2107 S. Main Street)
I don't think that Mr. Kennett had any other business locations in Los Angeles. He only appears in directories for three years here as a photographer in 1902, 1903 and 1904. All of these are connected to Chutes Park with the Main Street home address.

In 1901 he was living in San Francisco and was apparently in a partnership with a Mr. Jones. Prior to that, he lived in the Bay Area and was a photographer there.

Luther Whitfield Kennett was born in North Carolina, in August of 1861, just a few months after the start of the Civil War. By 1870 the family lived in Illinois. He married Adeline Riggs in Missouri in 1886. They appear in California, living in the Bay Area when their daughter was born in 1892. They also had a son, born two years later.

His father died in Washington state in 1908 and he is found living there between then and 1919 when his wife died in Marin County, CA.

He is a house carpenter in 1920, living in Sacramento. In 1921 he was admitted to Patton State Hospital, in San Bernardino, where he was treated for epileptic psychosis. He died there in 1936 and because the hospital cemetery was filled by 1930, his body, which was unclaimed, was donated to science at what is now Loma Linda University.

Find A Grave has a photo of him with his five brothers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos