HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I dislike the loss in height, but I think the shorter version is better proportioned.
This is a gorgeous building and at that height, it will be the second tallest building in America after Extell's 57th St tower. I love it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:17 PM
DENNAB

It'll be in the running for most imposing too, since it's not a toothpick.

I think some people may not have realized that 1650 was the maximum height they were allowed to build to, not necessarily reflective of the final figure. Poor journalism per usual.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It'll be in the running for most imposing too, since it's not a toothpick.

I think some people may not have realized that 1650 was the maximum height they were allowed to build to, not necessarily reflective of the final figure. Poor journalism per usual.
I agree. This will be a masterpiece!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:42 PM

I agree with others that this is still an exciting project at 1,486', but don't forget, more than a few of us are displeased with the bland Central Park Tower and don't want it to remain the tallest Midtown building for too long. A 1,646' Grand Hyatt would have solved this problem, but now we know it may not be happening. Thus we are probably stuck with having the CPT as Midtown's culmination point for a while (potentially decades!), and that's the biggest reason for our disappointment.

Quote:
Not true. This is from NYguy's 11/20/2020 post, which says "a tower rising to approximately 1,646 feet tall":

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:01 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Not true. This is from NYguy's 11/20/2020 post, which says "a tower rising to approximately 1,646 feet tall":
You could be right, or they could have mistaken the maximum for the final height. I say that because none of the renderings have ever shown a 1650 footer, but rather a 1500 footer, maybe 1550. Some of the parapet extensions beyond to "top of crown" height of 1486 would be about that. So maybe this was it all along

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:37 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

But the SML shows 1646’ when the building was first seen in the first rendering. It may be actually true tho... it should start demolition by the end of this year and finish up by 2028 instead of 2030.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:00 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

But when you say 1,486’, I think they are mistaken by 1,648’ accident tho. Is this possible or is it accurate?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 7:08 AM

I feel like I've been spat in the face.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I feel like I've been spat in the face.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
This is a gorgeous building and at that height, it will be the second tallest building in America after Extell's 57th St tower. I love it.

Wow, the voice of reason, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Yes, but the indication of the height of 1,646 ft had come from the builder and then reported in the press. If this indication was not correct, then why not expect the project to be well defined in its numbers, instead of going up and down with the heights? Too bad for this downsizing.
Quote:
The floor heights would have to tweaked a lot to get from 1,486 back to ~1650, though I suppose with 85 of them each one only needs a foot or two extra, I hope you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I had a feeling 1650' was too good to be true. Just a lot of bluster, as usual.

Let me just say, don't let it ever be said on this forum again that height doesn't matter. From pretty much the majority of these comments, it's clear that it VERY MUCH does.

I mentioned earlier that they hadn't decided on floor heights, the graphic where the height figure was taken from shows a uniform slab height of 14 ft for the regular 50 office floors above the base. That would make for some low ceiling heights, and we know that's not what gets built in New York, and I would be shocked to see such a thing, especially in a tower of this magnitude. No floors have been cut from the tower. The missing 160 ft could very easily be made up with change in slab heights. Now, they could still cut floors, and the tower could be reduced further. We'll know when that happens.

That particular graphic was from a presentation last month for the Public Design Commission, which evaluates the public space (as opposed to Landmarks evaluating the context with Grand Central Terminal). I don't even think the height came up, but most, like me are pleased with it.

The presentation

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/designco...C-175-park.pdf

And the meeting

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:13 PM
New Yorker for life

The crown befitting of this landmark in the making. I'm sure it's still being refined.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 7:19 PM

Someone can tell me if the height is still at 1646ft or they keeped the 1486ft ??

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Someone can tell me if the height is still at 1646ft or they keeped the 1486ft ??
Yes.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:40 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Yes.
Indeed, can confirm

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The crown befitting of this landmark in the making. I'm sure it's still being refined.

That crown is AMAZING! Can you imagine how spectacular it will be when it’s illuminated at night? It will be worthy of the GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD!!!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 3:05 AM

If this building is gonna be less than 1,500 ft then fuck whoever shortened it. New York is totally getting a new 1,400 ft plateau and it's just dumb. Why would someone not wanna stand out and go a tiny bit taller than everything else that's new? Some uncreative weak bitches. All my enthusiasm for this building vanished

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
If this building is gonna be less than 1,500 ft then fuck whoever shortened it. New York is totally getting a new 1,400 ft plateau and it's just dumb. Why would someone not wanna stand out and go a tiny bit taller than everything else that's new? Some uncreative weak bitches. All my enthusiasm for this building vanished
No other American city is getting anything remotely like this. I’m elated.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 5:02 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

So who will update the drawing of this thread skyscraper to shorter height and more detailed like 270 Park Avenue?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 8:17 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Dude View Post
It makes sense that the skyline would end up with a new plateau at 400-500 meters, as it roughly doubles the existing 200-300m plateau, which itself doubled the previous 100-150m plateau (where all big US cities besides NYC and Chi still remain)

What worries me most is that "Dont Surpass 1WTC's Spantenna" may become an unofficial (or even worse, official) rule for the city

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 8:33 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post

What worries me most is that "Dont Surpass 1WTC's Spantenna" may become an unofficial (or even worse, official) rule for the city
As long as it stays unofficial there will always be a developer that doesn't give AF. Kinda like city hall in Philly, there was an unwritten rule to not surpass it but then Liberty Place came along and dwarfed it as the city's first real skyscraper.

Though at 548' Philly city hall is obviously much more surpassable than a building that nearly measures that same figure in meters.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 9:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

I wouldn't underestimate the long-term deference to the WTC1 thing. Remember this is still the city that puts a big American flag sticker on buses and trains just in case you forget what country you are in while you are riding the subway. It was a patriotic, righteous and appropriate gesture at the time but it's seemingly become permanent probably because, inertia, and nobody wants to be the first guy that suggests they no longer do it out of fear of being labelled unpatriotic.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals