HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 2:59 PM

No question- this tower will look great if completed, but we are going to need a supertall or two in the Loop to balance our skyline out again. It's getting very concentrated on the north east end.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
No question- this tower will look great if completed, but we are going to need a supertall or two in the Loop to balance our skyline out again. It's getting very concentrated on the north east end.
Thompson Center!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:13 PM

Would love to see Jahn's Thompson Center supertall in the sky next to Trib 2.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:49 PM

Since we all love renderings

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:38 AM

They all seem to fit so effortlessly into the skyline...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:07 AM

Thanks for sharing these. They look amazing! Hope someone buys the Thompson Center and builds this or something equally impressive!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Now add OCS and 400 N LSD
Quote:
The original picture (which can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/samwag...y/47530259021/) doesn't extend all the way east to the 400 N LSD site, but I was able to add OCS and Jahn's proposal for the Thompson Center to compare to Tribune Tower in the picture.

Tribune Tower still really grabs my attention the most out of all of them.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:49 AM
DENNAB

Nice!

How tall is Jahn's proposal? Is that even legit or just a vision.. cool concept either way

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:19 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Tribune Tower remains my favorite proposal for this development cycle. Someone put AS+GG's Thompson Center replacement tower in the renderings instead of Jahn's.

I would love to see a rendering like this with Vista, 400LSD, NEMA 1 & 2, 1000M, Tribune Tower, AS + GG's Thompson Center and One Chicago Square; maybe throw in the mega-developments too while you're at it. That would truly be epic, rgarri4 get on it lol!

Copyright: Tomorrow AB

Last edited by UPChicago; Apr 11, 2019 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:40 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

^ I think the trend you are seeing is due to the trend of highrise development towards residential towers. If you look at any aerial pictures of downtown you'll notice bulkier towers in the Loop and skinner towers outside the Loop.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Tribune Tower remains my favorite proposal for this development cycle. Someone put AS+GG's Thompson Center replacement tower in the renderings instead of Jahn's.

I would love to see a rendering like this with Vista, 400LSD, NEMA 1 & 2, 1000M, Tribune Tower, AS + GG's Thompson Center and One Chicago Square; maybe throw in the mega-developments too while you're at it. That would truly be epic, rgarri4 get on it lol!

Copyright: Tomorrow AB

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:17 PM

Incredible models - one little detail - the new towers for the spire site are to the west of LSD.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Incredible models - one little detail - the new towers for the spire site are to the west of LSD.
Good catch. There must of been an accidental mouse click drag that happened I never noticed.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Good catch. There must of been an accidental mouse click drag that happened I never noticed.
Adding that the shorter one is the one over the Spire hole, so you gotta flip it

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 4:40 AM

What's the consensus on this one? Do we think this is serious? Will it make it all the way to groundbreaking?

This would be a great addition to Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we the people View Post
What's the consensus on this one? Do we think this is serious? Will it make it all the way to groundbreaking?

This would be a great addition to Chicago.
We have no clue until they provide an updated proposal after the rejection. I'd say it'll get built though since they only have one more year before they lose out on the zoning

EDIT: Ignore, thought I was responding to them about the Spire site...

For the Tribune site... who knows. If the economy is still strong in 2020 then I don't see why not

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 6:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
For the Tribune site... who knows. If the economy is still strong in 2020 then I don't see why not
I agree, obviously 1,400+ foot buildings are ambitious but I remain cautiously optimistic. Part of the reason is the legitimacy of who's behind it.

If the height hasn't changed (i.e. they're still planning on 1,422') then they should definitely just add on a small bit of height for Chicago's new tallest. Even just extend the fins... ?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I agree, obviously 1,400+ foot buildings are ambitious but I remain cautiously optimistic. Part of the reason is the legitimacy of who's behind it.

If the height hasn't changed (i.e. they're still planning on 1,422') then they should definitely just add on a small bit of height for Chicago's new tallest. Even just extend the fins... ?
Its certainly not a bad location for the proposal. I think it will all be clearer after they progress with the Tribune renovation project. The key is that filling all the vertical space of a supertall is a challenge. They couldnt make it 900 condos. But in this case, a hotel should do really well given the location, while also being attractive as a luxury rental and luxury condo market (luxury condo is slightly more uncertain).

The big signals / questions answered:

1. Do they successfully sell out their Tribune Tower condos quickly?
2. How well does the bigger ~50k sf retail concept do? To me the renovation project and in particular the retail will have a big impact on that whole area. If its popular and successful it'll create more interest in the supertall.
3. How long until OBP, Vista, etc start to sell out or get constrained on units remaining. Still targeting a small sub-set of the market
4. Maybe most important or simple, when do Golub and CIM really go for approvals and commit to the $14 million NOF payment

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
Its certainly not a bad location for the proposal. I think it will all be clearer after they progress with the Tribune renovation project. The key is that filling all the vertical space of a supertall is a challenge. They couldnt make it 900 condos. But in this case, a hotel should do really well given the location, while also being attractive as a luxury rental and luxury condo market (luxury condo is slightly more uncertain).

The big signals / questions answered:

1. Do they successfully sell out their Tribune Tower condos quickly?
2. How well does the bigger ~50k sf retail concept do? To me the renovation project and in particular the retail will have a big impact on that whole area. If its popular and successful it'll create more interest in the supertall.
3. How long until OBP, Vista, etc start to sell out or get constrained on units remaining. Still targeting a small sub-set of the market
4. Maybe most important or simple, when do Golub and CIM really go for approvals and commit to the $14 million NOF payment
There are no condos sold in the Tribune renovation. They have not started selling yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals