HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:09 AM
the first stamp is free

Thanks for info guys. The reason I ask is that my street is getting redone this summer/fall and they still aren't done, and said they are hoping to start paving next week. I didnt think they can install asphalt when it's below freezing. It's crazy to me that at this time of year these construction crews only work Monday to Friday. Wasting all the great weather these past few weekends.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Thanks for info guys. The reason I ask is that my street is getting redone this summer/fall and they still aren't done, and said they are hoping to start paving next week. I didnt think they can install asphalt when it's below freezing. It's crazy to me that at this time of year these construction crews only work Monday to Friday. Wasting all the great weather these past few weekends.
I know it’s crazy with these temperatures. I’m still wondering what’s going on with university crescent..

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Just found the city tender for supply hot asphalt and it runs from May 1 to Nov 11 so there are 10 more days of paving available depending on weather.
Big weather change likely on Tuesday the 8th. Get it done by Monday or it's not getting done me thinks.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Correct MIT's spec book says no top lift unless its going to be +6C and rising. If its the base lift they can start at 0C as long as the temp is forecast to rise during the day.

I wonder if you may just get the base put down on your street before the weather turns and the contractor will be back next spring to do the top lift once it gets and stays warm.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Not really Winnipeg roads technically, but I felt it fits here best since it is inside the Perimeter.

Hwy 3 (McGillivray Blvd) from the future new interchange at the Perimeter to the City limits Functional Design Study is out by the Province.

3.0 Project Scope

The Project involves developing a functional design and access management study for the twinning and reconstruction of PTH 3 with a four-lane divided highway cross-section on existing alignment or realignment to refresh and update the previous functional design study completed in 2003. This highway has seen a significant increase in traffic volumes in the project vicinity over the last decade resulting in the need for a reconstructed surface and level of service improvements. The recent completion of the preliminary interchange design at PTH 3/100, as part of the South Perimeter Design Study completed in 2020, provides the west limit for this Project. Intersection upgrades and improvements will need to be designed at a functional level based on intersection analysis. The SP must consider options both for improvements based on the current alignment of this portion of PTH 3 and for a new highway alignment located away from existing development.

The FDS will also include the functional design of a realignment of PTH 3 to connect to the City of Winnipeg‟s ring road (i.e. Bishop Grandin Blvd).

The FDS will be used as a guiding document for future reconstruction and twinning of PTH3, intersection improvements, access management and land use planning and development. In addition, conceptual designs are required for 3 new roadways: the future northerly connection from PTH 3 to the future Charleswood Parkway extension to Wilkes Ave and future southerly connections of PTH 3 with the South Perimeter Highway (PTH 100) future interchange locations at Road 8E and at PR 330 and the functional design of the intersections of these future connections with PTH 3 (existing and realigned options)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Correct MIT's spec book says no top lift unless its going to be +6C and rising. If its the base lift they can start at 0C as long as the temp is forecast to rise during the day.

I wonder if you may just get the base put down on your street before the weather turns and the contractor will be back next spring to do the top lift once it gets and stays warm.
Yesterday they applied some sort of a thin bitumen layer to the top of the gravel. Not asphalt - almost a sealer or something like that.

From the looks of it this morning, they are preparing to lay down some asphalt. So hopefully one layer before winter like you are thinking, at least so we can have our street back. It's been closed off since August 1.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:36 PM

Probably a tack coat down, basically liquid tar. After today's high of 5, temps drop and that's it. Suboptimal to have only one layer down for the winter. Not sure what the specs are for the road. Maybe it's only one layer total.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Not really Winnipeg roads technically, but I felt it fits here best since it is inside the Perimeter.

Hwy 3 (McGillivray Blvd) from the future new interchange at the Perimeter to the City limits Functional Design Study is out by the Province.

3.0 Project Scope

The Project involves developing a functional design and access management study for the twinning and reconstruction of PTH 3 with a four-lane divided highway cross-section on existing alignment or realignment to refresh and update the previous functional design study completed in 2003. This highway has seen a significant increase in traffic volumes in the project vicinity over the last decade resulting in the need for a reconstructed surface and level of service improvements. The recent completion of the preliminary interchange design at PTH 3/100, as part of the South Perimeter Design Study completed in 2020, provides the west limit for this Project. Intersection upgrades and improvements will need to be designed at a functional level based on intersection analysis. The SP must consider options both for improvements based on the current alignment of this portion of PTH 3 and for a new highway alignment located away from existing development.

The FDS will also include the functional design of a realignment of PTH 3 to connect to the City of Winnipeg‟s ring road (i.e. Bishop Grandin Blvd).

The FDS will be used as a guiding document for future reconstruction and twinning of PTH3, intersection improvements, access management and land use planning and development. In addition, conceptual designs are required for 3 new roadways: the future northerly connection from PTH 3 to the future Charleswood Parkway extension to Wilkes Ave and future southerly connections of PTH 3 with the South Perimeter Highway (PTH 100) future interchange locations at Road 8E and at PR 330 and the functional design of the intersections of these future connections with PTH 3 (existing and realigned options)
Wow, big things in store for PTH3/McGillivray. Makes sense, it is still set up as a rural highway even though the area it runs through is becoming very urbanized.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

3.0 Project Scope

Interesting point about realigning to connect with BG. I presume they mean account for BG, instead of actually realign McGillivray to connect into BG at Kenaston.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:45 PM

Any links to this study? It would be interesting to see the concepts.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 4:08 PM
What could go wrong?

It's an RFP to have a functional design study done by a consultant. Sorry for the confusion.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Probably a tack coat down, basically liquid tar. After today's high of 5, temps drop and that's it. Suboptimal to have only one layer down for the winter. Not sure what the specs are for the road. Maybe it's only one layer total.
If its a TBO then it would be one layer over concrete. But as he mentioned gravel I wonder if its a full reconstruction.

We would have to know his street and then we could probably find the full specs / supervising engineering company on the closed tender section of the city web site.

City contract for supply of asphalt for their paving needs ends this week.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
If its a TBO then it would be one layer over concrete. But as he mentioned gravel I wonder if its a full reconstruction.

We would have to know his street and then we could probably find the full specs / supervising engineering company on the closed tender section of the city web site.

City contract for supply of asphalt for their paving needs ends this week.
It was a full reconstruction, including sidewalks, new curbs and street lights.

They dug out the previous road, and built it back up with about 24" larger diameter stones and ~12 to 24" of gravel.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:38 AM

Its 830pm, raining, and Bituminex is out doing concrete work at Reenders and Panet. In the rain, with their trowels, soaking wet. Doing the pedestrian approaches and such for the new asphalt path they have yet to lay. I assume theyll be doing it in the rain tomorow as well.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:10 AM
the first stamp is free

Hope it's all worth these guys not putting in some OT during those beautiful last couple weekends in October, when zero construction happened around these parts. Coulda been done everything last week.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Its 830pm, raining, and Bituminex is out doing concrete work at Reenders and Panet. In the rain, with their trowels, soaking wet. Doing the pedestrian approaches and such for the new asphalt path they have yet to lay. I assume theyll be doing it in the rain tomorow as well.
that sucks for them but i don't think there's anything actually wrong with pouring concrete in the rain. a little spalling maybe. the bigger issue will always be temps.

at the end of the day i wish we did more of this road work with P3 type arrangements. the problem here is that bitumenex (etc) will always cut corners to make deadlines because they have to live with the deadlines/penalties, but it's the city that gets left holding the bag for a lot of defects.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Hope it's all worth these guys not putting in some OT during those beautiful last couple weekends in October, when zero construction happened around these parts. Coulda been done everything last week.
Let's extend that from October all the way back to August and September.

That project on Grant ended up only being 75% complete, even though we had excellent weather. I stopped counting the times I'd drive down Grant and see nothing happening on sunny, dry days thinking "Soooo, they're hoping for a hot and dry November, I guess?"

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
that sucks for them but i don't think there's anything actually wrong with pouring concrete in the rain. a little spalling maybe. the bigger issue will always be temps.

at the end of the day i wish we did more of this road work with P3 type arrangements. the problem here is that bitumenex (etc) will always cut corners to make deadlines because they have to live with the deadlines/penalties, but it's the city that gets left holding the bag for a lot of defects.
Ya but to Drew's point. They were nowhere to be found for literally weeks at a time on Reenders. Maybe a couple guys puttering around. They're moving crews around to all the various projects they have going on, doing subpar work.

Now they're scrambling in the rain, and freezing temps. I drove by today and they still have loads of concrete curb and sidewalk to do. Then the asphalt pathway.

They did the same thing last year (maybe the year before, time flies) on the side street by my house. And all the work they did late in the year under similar conditions is cracked and in rough shape. Compared to the work done on an adjacent street in summer months, which looks great and is not cracked beyond where it's supposed to be cracked.

Long term, that's not good for the City, and they should be controlling this better. I see late season work being done allover the place right now.

This has been going on forever. But since the City has increased budgets for roads and related works, there aren't adequate crews to actually do the work. So we're scrambling in November. Borland shut down and I assume their crews dispersed to the other companies. But still a loss of large local company.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 9:46 PM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...into-next-year

Man they have an excuse for everything. I haven’t seen any progress in this above normal fall weather whatsoever.. nobody on the construction sites..

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...into-next-year

Man they have an excuse for everything. I haven’t seen any progress in this above normal fall weather whatsoever.. nobody on the construction sites..
I wonder where they went?

I think a lot of people here are forgetting how wet this year was. Contractors take no liability with the weather. That's all on the owner (taxpayers).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan