HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 6:34 PM

Yeah, midtown was very crazy yesterday with the classic cars packed mostly around park central stretching all the way to indian school and central. I didnt mind the traffic as it meant a lot more foot traffic.

I did not see a lot of gay pride downtown but AZ center was very packed which was surprising. And Phoenix PD is starting to ticket people for Saturday meter parking, hope this doesnt deter people from going downtown during the weekends. Only thing i forgot to do was visit the new park but i guess it is nothing special during the day.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 6:49 PM
BANNED

hell i can walk to the new park and haven't been. it doesn't look all that appealing to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 6:55 PM

Yesterday I rode strictly three car trains. I went to the car show and it was awesome! While checking out the cars I only saw three car trains. Bwonger I dont know where you were but everywhere I went there were gay people. On the way to the car show i sat next to to two cross dressers and on the way to the park I was surrounded by a group of gay guys coming from a bar.

It was crazy though. As I got on a three car train at central station in dt there was only one person in the entire car! It was quite strange because the two cars behind it were almost completely packed. I took some photos of the car show and empty light rail car that i will post in a little.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ KID View Post
Yesterday I rode strictly three car trains.
Elitist.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 8:37 PM

Only 3 car trains this morning....decent amount of people in them...was odd to see so many threes.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ KID View Post
Yesterday I rode strictly three car trains. I went to the car show and it was awesome! While checking out the cars I only saw three car trains. Bwonger I dont know where you were but everywhere I went there were gay people. On the way to the car show i sat next to to two cross dressers and on the way to the park I was surrounded by a group of gay guys coming from a bar.

It was crazy though. As I got on a three car train at central station in dt there was only one person in the entire car! It was quite strange because the two cars behind it were almost completely packed. I took some photos of the car show and empty light rail car that i will post in a little.
I was at Arizona Center so that might explain why I saw so few gays. I did drive up central but my eyes are glued to the classic cars in front of me because they were a. going super slow so I didnt want to hit them b. thinking about how much it would cost if i did hit one of them. And I did see gays, just not the total gay invasion i thought i was going to see... maybe my gay-dar just sucks balls.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
it was gay day, they had them out for that as a "special" ocassion and they got a lot of use. There was also an enormous classic car cruise up and down central avenue that I didn't enjoy trying to battle on my way to Postino.

I did, however, notice that young lesbians dress like hookers... really hot hookers that wouldn't give me the time of day.
Wonder if they can sense that "special" quality you exhibit here on the forum that repels others?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 5:27 AM
Desert Urbanite

I participated/walked in the Phoenix Pride Parade on Saturday morning. I parked at the park-n-ride on 19th & Camelback and took the train to Thomas in the morning before the start of the parade on 3rd Street. Afterwards, a bunch of us went to Mill Avenue for lunch, and I eventually headed back to the park-n-ride before the evening settled in. The car show was pretty cool to look at from inside the 3-car train I was in traveling up Central Avenue.

There was a ton of gays everywhere mixed in with the crowd from the car show. Midtown and Downtown was packed with people all day, including the Civic Space Park. It was an awesome day filled with happy gays, classic cars, and mass transit!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 2:36 PM

Of course the weekend that all of the 3-car trains were out, I was in LA.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
Of course the weekend that all of the 3-car trains were out, I was in LA.
They're running today, I've seen several go past my office bld.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:00 AM

Yup, seems like the full-size trains are being regularly implemented for high-traffic periods and events... which is good, because from what I've experienced the demand is certainly there during afternoon rush hour, D-Backs games, First Fridays Downtown, etc...

Earlier today while hiking A-Mountain I saw a 3-car train parked on the middle track just west of Veteran's Way/College Ave Sta. that suddenly came to life and went westbound at around 5pm.

Now if we can just get them to run a train at 2:30am on the weekends...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 5:30 AM

Ok, so today, I doubled back on my commute home (after passing 3 2-car trains) and hit up Yoshi's on Central for some dinner and, as I was pulling out, I FINALLY saw a 3-car train. Gotta say, not as impressed as I thought I would be (considering the hype).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 2:33 PM
BANNED

I was on a train yesterday afternoon when apparently a vehicle hit us (I didn't notice). I boarded a eastbound train at Central Station after arriving at 1st Ave/Jeff we stopped and stayed there for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes went by, the operator came on the PA system and informed everyone what happened and that we'd be on our way. Once we started moving, it seemed like the wheels were rubbing/vibrating more on the rails when the train encountered a turn.

Anyways, I'm sure the entire system got backed up because of this accident. At the University/Rural stop there were probably 200 students that were waiting to board.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 3:51 PM

Yeah - I still think that's the biggest problem with any LRT system. With heavy rail lines, there seems to always be extra track to better accommodate mechanical issues and potential delays.

With an LRT line that's on the street, you cant just have extra track running all over the place for trains to pass an obstruction or to move an accident out of the way. My only hope is that as time passes, drivers will start paying more attention... maybe that's wishful thinking.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, so today, I doubled back on my commute home (after passing 3 2-car trains) and hit up Yoshi's on Central for some dinner and, as I was pulling out, I FINALLY saw a 3-car train. Gotta say, not as impressed as I thought I would be (considering the hype).
After all, it is just the same thing with an extra car...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
Yeah - I still think that's the biggest problem with any LRT system. With heavy rail lines, there seems to always be extra track to better accommodate mechanical issues and potential delays.

With an LRT line that's on the street, you cant just have extra track running all over the place for trains to pass an obstruction or to move an accident out of the way. My only hope is that as time passes, drivers will start paying more attention... maybe that's wishful thinking.
There is extra line running all over the place, it is called the other track. If there is an accident, you just send the freaking train around it. I don't really see what is so hard about that. I thought we determined that the McKinley and 12th St turn-arounds were for that purpose. In every other part of the LRT line, there are x-over tracks like every 1000ft or so. I've seen the train on the wrong side of the track plenty of times so it shouldn't be a big deal. It just takes a little coordination.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 1:02 AM

Quote:
There is extra line running all over the place, it is called the other track. If there is an accident, you just send the freaking train around it. I don't really see what is so hard about that. I thought we determined that the McKinley and 12th St turn-arounds were for that purpose. In every other part of the LRT line, there are x-over tracks like every 1000ft or so. I've seen the train on the wrong side of the track plenty of times so it shouldn't be a big deal. It just takes a little coordination.
Oh, sorry smart guy - I guess those 45 minute to an hour delays for minor accidents are just because the conductors and engineers running the system are all idiots... they just didn't see the other track!

Please don't write condescending responses to me like I'm 10. I didn't design the thing; I'm simply speculating that they don't use the side of oncoming trains to bypass accidents. If that is the case, you can inform me without being a turd.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 5:04 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...railblog/51443

Quote:
Art fans, foodies: Watch for rail marketing deals

A handful of Valley tourist destinations are starting to use light rail to promote their business. It’s too early to tell if the idea will catch fire. What is known is some companies see enough of a boost to their bottom lines to offer discounts and rail tickets.

There are deals out there for the artistically- or gastronomically-inclined.

We told you about the deals on pub crawls. Now on Monday, Monti’s La Casa Vieja, Tempe’s venerable steak house, began offering a discounted meal, two all-day Metro passes and an admission to the Heard Museum at a reduced rate. Managing partner Eddie Goitia says weekend train visitors have been a bright spot in a dark economy. He’s starting to see the possibilities. “You already had two distinct cultural points of interest and the train connects the two. All of a sudden I can reach so many places in the Valley and market them. It’s instant marketing.”

The Heard is also offering $1 off tickets to people from big downtown hotels. The Heard’s marketing director Juliet Martin said light rail has been a major, but not sole, factor in keeping museum crowds about even with last year.

Down the street, the Phoenix Art Museum has been offering a $10 break on $75 membership to anyone with a monthly rail pass, but for now the promotion “hasn’t been very popular,” says publicists Mindy Carr.

The Desert Botanical Gardens in January started running an experimental free shuttle every 20-30 minutes to the Priest Drive Station, around a mile and a half away. After May, the shuttle will be evaluated. Marketing Manager John Sallot says the garden gets about 5,500 daily visitors, largely drawn by the marquis Chihuly exhibit. About 90 a day come by shuttle.

On 44th Street, the Phoenix Airport Residence Inn by Marriott offers free all-day train passes and a shuttle ride to the Airport Station in one special package. Only 27 packages have sold since January, says general manager Larry Turner. More significantly, he’s seen new customers for the downtown conventions.

That’s part of a larger trend says Scott Dunn at the Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Light rail is a huge selling point for downtown conventions,” Dunn says. He says the affordable fare next to the cost of a car rental is a big plus. Also, in years past people told Phoenix tourist boosters that the lack of things to do downtown was a major reason they didn’t book conventions here. Dunn says that’s changing as conventioneers learn what’s reachable by light rail.

In east Tempe, managers at the 80-slot Apache Palms RV Park recently asked Metro for 1,000 rail brochures and report handing them out fast and furiously. Clearly rail is popular with tourists, but time will tell if they significantly move the needle on passenger counts

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 12:43 PM
self-important urbanista

Sobering news about the reality of Proposition 400 in light of diminished tax revenues:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...m-transit.html

This the first time I've seen it in writing, but I'm not surprised at the mention of the NE light rail extension, the last in line in the current plan, not being built unless a new tax is approved. Voters decided back in 2004 to tax themselves at a certain rate, but if that rate is applied to a lower volume of sales than anticipated, projects must be slowed down or rethought.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 2:27 PM
BANNED

Once Metro begins to open some extensions, such as, Northwest, Tempe and Mesa, I was thinking that they should use the turn-arounds at 12th st. and Mckinley as the end of the line of say a Red Line train and a Blue Line train.

Have each line overlap to serve DT. Red Line is an East/West serving DT to East Valley serving Central Station and then turning around at McKinley to head back towards the East Valley. Blue Line is a North/South serving DT to N. Phx/W. Phx. Once it reaches 12th St, it should turn around and start to head back to N. Phx.

Instead of having one LR Line, now we have 2. The advantage of having 2 lines could reduce delays (if there is an accident) and say the Red Line could have trains at 7.5 min intervals during peak travel times vs. 10 min intervals on the Blue...or vice versa.

Once the system starts to spread out, this will have to occur.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest