HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Not much of a trap Bombers won a sloppy game but lost Harris in the process to a knee injury. Bombers better atleast try and get a decent kicker now to compensate come playoff time.
Bombers took their foot off the gas pedal and it could have burned them if Grymes had caught that pick six ball for the Elks in the 4th. Nice to see Oliveira step up in Harris' absence and rack up 100+ yards in rushing. The Bombers are clearly missing Yoshi Hardrick, Collaros was under a fair bit of pressure throughout the game. The sooner he gets back, the better. And at least Mourtada nailed some FGs including from outside the 40.

But they got it done... another week, another W!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 12:55 AM

Alouettes nipping at the Argos heels now just 1 game back for 1st in the East. With no real sports competition for the CFL right now as its early going for NHL and NBA hopefully this leads to increased media coverage and interest in Montreal and Toronto media markets come playoff time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 1:09 AM
I am the law!

I don't know about that. The NHL season has started. I don't think it matters how fresh it still smells. It's going to drown out the CFL. It wouldn't surprise me if these early games get priority over the baseball conference championships. I stop watching sports entertainment shows when the NHL starts.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 1:14 AM

I am a football fan both nfl and cfl, early season nhl I find hard to get into as the season is so long. I haven't heard anyone here in Winnipeg talk about baseball playoffs, there was some talk about the Usyk/Joshua and Fury/Wilder heavyweight boxing fights the past couple of weeks at my work and I am in my thirties and work at one of the largest companies in the city but baseball is pretty much dead here.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:50 PM

Elks have just traded Trevor Harris to the Alouettes as Vernon Adams is likely out for the season with a broken shoulder.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:10 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Stamps looking better every week.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:56 AM

Lmao and then you have the Ridders

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Elks have just traded Trevor Harris to the Alouettes as Vernon Adams is likely out for the season with a broken shoulder.
I guess the Elks are officially in next year mode now with Harris being consigned to the dustbin of CFL QBs who are "almost but not quite" alongside the likes of Matt Nichols.

On the bright side, Taylor Cornelius has a pretty good pedigree and he looks like he has the tools to excel.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I guess the Elks are officially in next year mode now with Harris being consigned to the dustbin of CFL QBs who are "almost but not quite" alongside the likes of Matt Nichols.

On the bright side, Taylor Cornelius has a pretty good pedigree and he looks like he has the tools to excel.
I am sure lots of Ottawa fans would have been happy to keep Trevor Harris and have him today.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I don't know about that. The NHL season has started. I don't think it matters how fresh it still smells. It's going to drown out the CFL. It wouldn't surprise me if these early games get priority over the baseball conference championships. I stop watching sports entertainment shows when the NHL starts.
I am a CFL fan and have been having trouble getting into it this year. And I've actually been to one Ottawa Redblacks game in person in 2021.

The media definitely aren't making it any easier in my observation.

Like it or not it's normal for the NHL to get top billing even in the very early season (multiply that by 100 in Quebec) but every football season it seems like there is a bit more of a slide in CFL coverage, and the NFL is propped up even more everywhere you look.

I am always amazed at how the CFL's TV ratings still hold up pretty well in spite of everything that seems to be done to have people NOT pay attention to it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:30 PM
Ham-burgher

This changes the East. Harris is a much better QB than Adams, and with Montreal's running game their offense will be powerful.

Sunderland must be banking on the 2022 cap savings from Harris giving him the flexibility to sign another free agent veteran QB (e.g., Masoli will probably be available unless he shows a lot more for the Ticats this year). If Sunderland is still around, that is

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Like it or not it's normal for the NHL to get top billing even in the very early season (multiply that by 100 in Quebec) but every football season it seems like there is a bit more of a slide in CFL coverage, and the NFL is propped up even more everywhere you look.

I am always amazed at how the CFL's TV ratings still hold up pretty well in spite of everything that seems to be done to have people NOT pay attention to it.
Winnipeg must be an exception because Bomber fever is running pretty high this season. They are definitely getting a lot of public attention and crowds have been good.

Obviously it would be a lot different if the Bombers were 3-7.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I am a CFL fan and have been having trouble getting into it this year. And I've actually been to one Ottawa Redblacks game in person in 2021.

I've been to 3 games this year and they've all been fun to be at. I sit with a group of couples and we chat about all sorts of stuff and make fun of the RedBlack ineptness. Its all good.
I'm actually going to go to Montreal at the end of the month to see the Riders

Quote:
It appears to me that TSN is mailing it in more and more. I cannot seem to get into hockey until at least end January.

Quote:
Well the CFL is getting support from alt platforms (fan driven websites or former Media types like Rod Pedersen starting their own)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I've been to 3 games this year and they've all been fun to be at. I sit with a group of couples and we chat about all sorts of stuff and make fun of the RedBlack ineptness. Its all good.
I'm actually going to go to Montreal at the end of the month to see the Riders

It appears to me that TSN is mailing it in more and more. I cannot seem to get into hockey until at least end January.

Well the CFL is getting support from alt platforms (fan driven websites or former Media types like Rod Pedersen starting their own)
I know the CFL is very much the little engine that could. It's just that everywhere we look it seems like it's NFL promos on TV, NFL promos at the grocery store, NFL promos in bars, NFL promos on social media (including unpaid ones by "friends" of ours of course), etc.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I actually like the NFL and do watch it.

I just often find it's a product that people want to shove down my throat.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
I know the CFL is very much the little engine that could. It's just that everywhere we look it seems like it's NFL promos on TV, NFL promos at the grocery store, NFL promos in bars, NFL promos on social media (including unpaid ones by "friends" of ours of course), etc.
From my buddy Rod Pedersen:
https://rodpedersen.com/10-weekend-things-50/

4 – THE SOLUTION: I spend way too much time thinking about this, but far less than I used to. Hyping these teams and leagues isn’t my job anymore. However I feel the deterioration of the mainstream media has led to the vast decline in interest in anything that isn’t NHL, NFL, MLB or NBA in Canada. We didn’t realize it until it was too late that the local newspapers, supper newscasts and radio morning shows were doing free marketing for the teams and we didn’t even know it at the time. And bad publicity has always been better than none. But now with major cutbacks in all of the media, the coverage is almost entirely gone and the time which remains is dedicated to the big leagues.

Quick: Name five Regina Pats! Or for that matter, five Roughriders. Can you name ONE Ram, Thunder or Red Sox?

The teams are working their nuts off on their own social media – kudos to them – but it’s the local media which isn’t what it used to be. (Paging Bob Hughes and Gregg Drinnan). Rob Vanstone is a one-man show as far as columnists go at the Leader Post.

Sports radio’s been wiped off the map in Hamilton and Winnipeg, and chopped by 50% in Vancouver. It’s flickering in the cities where it remains.

Sports isn’t as big of a deal in Canada as it is in the U.S., and it’s shrinking daily unless your three letters are N.H.L.

NEWSFLASH: Ignoring a problem won’t make it go away.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:

I realise I am in the minority with my views, but I have no interest in NHL in late summer or fall. This is due to the nice weather that beckons outdoor sports to my TV screen. But also due to the fact that NHL season has become unbearably long -- I don't know how anyone can stay interested in a league whose season drags on and on for 10 months of the year (for no reason other than $$$). That's what's so appealing about Canadian Football: the schedule is compact and every game counts. And the fact that it isn't being "propped up" everywhere makes it even more appealing, in an old-fashioned kind of way. There comes a point when the "propping" just gets annoying and one gravitates to a smaller league with a quiet confidence. The CFL is so rare in what if offers the modern sports fan.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
From my buddy Rod Pedersen:
https://rodpedersen.com/10-weekend-things-50/

4 – THE SOLUTION: I spend way too much time thinking about this, but far less than I used to. Hyping these teams and leagues isn’t my job anymore. However I feel the deterioration of the mainstream media has led to the vast decline in interest in anything that isn’t NHL, NFL, MLB or NBA in Canada. We didn’t realize it until it was too late that the local newspapers, supper newscasts and radio morning shows were doing free marketing for the teams and we didn’t even know it at the time. And bad publicity has always been better than none. But now with major cutbacks in all of the media, the coverage is almost entirely gone and the time which remains is dedicated to the big leagues.

Quick: Name five Regina Pats! Or for that matter, five Roughriders. Can you name ONE Ram, Thunder or Red Sox?

The teams are working their nuts off on their own social media – kudos to them – but it’s the local media which isn’t what it used to be. (Paging Bob Hughes and Gregg Drinnan). Rob Vanstone is a one-man show as far as columnists go at the Leader Post.

Sports radio’s been wiped off the map in Hamilton and Winnipeg, and chopped by 50% in Vancouver. It’s flickering in the cities where it remains.

Sports isn’t as big of a deal in Canada as it is in the U.S., and it’s shrinking daily unless your three letters are N.H.L.

NEWSFLASH: Ignoring a problem won’t make it go away.
Rod and I (and I assume you) are seeing the same things.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
I realise I am in the minority with my views, but I have no interest in NHL in late summer or fall. This is due to the nice weather that beckons outdoor sports to my TV screen. But also due to the fact that NHL season has become unbearably long -- I don't know how anyone can stay interested in a league whose season drags on and on for 10 months of the year (for no reason other than $$$). That's what's so appealing about Canadian Football: the schedule is compact and every game counts. And the fact that it isn't being "propped up" everywhere makes it even more appealing, in an old-fashioned kind of way. There comes a point when the "propping" just gets annoying and one gravitates to a smaller league with a quiet confidence. The CFL is so rare in what if offers the modern sports fan.
I am with you though I think that charm is lost on most people, and increasingly so.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:44 PM

Cfl got much more and better media coverage when it was on tsn and cbc. Since being only on tsn no other media properties touch it to report on and bell does not even have playoffs or a Friday night football game of the week on the main ctv network which is insulting as its one of their top 3 media properties for sports.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada