HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:41 PM

Hartford Connecticut ?

Can anybody give me an update/overview of the Hartford area. Is there any development going on? What are the best urban neighborhoods?
I have a young daughter relocating there this summer. Her fiancé moved to a suburb 6 months ago for a new job and they will be getting married and permanently residing in the vicinity. My wife and I are comfortably retired and may consider a move in the the future. I like the city life and would appreciate any information. I know absolutely zero about Hartford or New England.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 5:45 PM

I think Hartford is modestly underrated. It's very hilly, green and pretty. The urbanity is good, not great, and prices are low for the NE corridor. Lots of arts/culture relative to size. One of the higher-income U.S. metros. Also direct train access to NYC now, and Boston isn't too far away either.

Negatives: area isn't really growing, not a super-exciting metro, downtown is still kinda bleh.

West Hartford is probably the nicest part for someone desiring walkability/semi-urbanity. It's a separate town, but you can basically bike to downtown Hartford. Multiple town centers, and lots of older streetcar suburbia. There are also some nice walkable, urban Hartford-proper neighborhoods, mostly in between downtown Hartford and West Hartford.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Can anybody give me an update/overview of the Hartford area. Is there any development going on? What are the best urban neighborhoods?
I have a young daughter relocating there this summer. Her fiancé moved to a suburb 6 months ago for a new job and they will be getting married and permanently residing in the vicinity. My wife and I are comfortably retired and may consider a move in the the future. I like the city life and would appreciate any information. I know absolutely zero about Hartford or New England.
Harford is not listed in the City Compilations thread but you should start one.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

good thread.

Hartford has traditionally been one of the least talked about US metros over 1M people here on SSP.

unfortunately, i can't bring much to the table. i was last in Hartford in the mid 90s on a college tour to check out trinity college.

my most vivid memory of the experience was that the area immediately around trinity college was noticeably "under-resourced" (to use the PC jargon of our times).

hopefully that situation has changed for the better over the last 25 years.

oh yeah, and the state capitol building was impressive as hell.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think Hartford is modestly underrated. It's very hilly, green and pretty. The urbanity is good, not great, and prices are low for the NE corridor. Lots of arts/culture relative to size. One of the higher-income U.S. metros. Also direct train access to NYC now, and Boston isn't too far away either.

Negatives: area isn't really growing, not a super-exciting metro, downtown is still kinda bleh.

West Hartford is probably the nicest part for someone desiring walkability/semi-urbanity. It's a separate town, but you can basically bike to downtown Hartford. Multiple town centers, and lots of older streetcar suburbia. There are also some nice walkable, urban Hartford-proper neighborhoods, mostly in between downtown Hartford and West Hartford.

I'm Connecticut raised, and I have a hard disagreement with this TBH.

Hartford is probably one of the worst cases of urban renewal in the country - certainly the worst in the Northeast. In the mid 20th century they basically demolished most of the traditional downtown area to make way for highrises for the insurance industry and state government. Then they demolished the next ring out of neighborhoods which is largely taken up by a moat of parking. There are also highways cutting off downtown from the riverfront and neighborhoods to the north and west. Aside from a single block of Pratt Street, it barely has more charm than somewhere like Charlotte at this point. There have been a few residential conversions over the last 10-20 years, but Downtown is still mostly an area which is inhabited by people from 9-5 for office jobs and then becomes a ghost town.

As to the remainder of Hartford, the northern part of the city is entirely low-income, high-crime black neighborhoods, and the southern part of the city is entirely low-income, high crime Latino neighborhoods. Somewhere like Frog Hollow (in the south of the city) has real potential, including a mostly-there business district and cool brick walkups. But there's not a whiff of gentrification.

The "West End" of Hartford is really the only portion of the city proper with any remaining wealth (and any real number of white people). It's still lame though. This is what passes for an urban business district.

When people bring up Hartford, they usually say "yes, but the suburbs." But the suburbs are largely pretty indistinguishable from any other part of Connecticut (meaning not very walkable by New England town standards). West Hartford stands out as an exception, with a kind of impressive downtown area. But it's very much a "fake downtown" - with the nice street wall in the front, and a sea of parking in the rear, followed by low-density single-family housing. There's some new urbanist development a few blocks away, but 90% of people drive there, park, and walk around.

If I ever have to move back to CT, I'll move to New Haven. It's ten times nicer as a city, and has some legit intact urban neighborhoods like East Rock and Wooster Square. Plus it's only a 30 minute drive from Hartford regardless.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:43 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Hartford feels like a couple of freeway interchanges.

New Haven is much nicer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:53 PM

Never been to Hartford, but from the street views of downtown it looks like a cleaner version of Newark, NJ.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:45 PM

I don't think New Haven (city proper) is much nicer than Hartford. In any case, it's splitting hairs; they're demographically and socioeconomically about the same. And Hartford area is actually higher income than New Haven area.

Also Hartford city limits are tiny, so it's silly to talk about Hartford while only talking about the city proper. And again, most of the nicer urbanish areas aren't in the city proper.

Downtown, yes, was massively urban renewed (like New Haven, Stamford, and basically all wealthier U.S. metros, especially in New England; urban renewal was "progressive"), but it's still a better downtown than most metros its size in the U.S. It has good bones, and there are lots of in-town neighborhoods where you can live car-lite. I'd live in West Hartford if I wanted a smaller, kinda anonymous metro.

Downtown Hartford:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7671...7i16384!8i8192

West Hartford:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7601...7i16384!8i8192

Hartford neighborhoods:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7580...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7665...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 12:26 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

New haven and Hartford the same ?

For one , new haven doesn’t have a freeway running through the middle of it. New haven is lively , has a nice downtown , activities , and of course Yale . Nothing comparable in Hartford

Stamford is far nicer than Hartford now .

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I don't think New Haven (city proper) is much nicer than Hartford. In any case, it's splitting hairs; they're demographically and socioeconomically about the same. And Hartford area is actually higher income than New Haven area.
There's far, far more middle class people (and outright wealthy people) within New Haven city limits. As I said, East Rock and Wooster Square are legitimately nice, intact urban neighborhoods - if a little light on commerce in places. It's more than made up for with how great Downtown New Haven is. There's also some rich suburban-ish neighborhoods like Westville and Morris Cove within the City of New Haven. It's of course all because of Yale, but still, that's more than any other CT city has.

Quote:
Also Hartford city limits are tiny, so it's silly to talk about Hartford while only talking about the city proper. And again, most of the nicer urbanish areas aren't in the city proper.
I don't think it's silly to talk about city limits because people live in a municipality (or more properly a neighborhood) not an entire metro area. The OP was looking for urban living, and there just isn't that much of this in Hartford.

What are you counting as the "nicer urbanish areas" aside from East Hartford though? I'm coming up empty. Manchester has a bit of a downtown, but I don't consider it especially urban. New Britain has a built up core, but it's also a lower-income city (albeit not as bad off as Hartford). Middletown is quite nice, since it's a college town, but it's halfway to New Haven. There's nothing else worth remarking on. I mean, towns like Simsbury and Avon are nice if you want woodsy backcountry...but that's not what the OP is looking for.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:05 AM

If you are looking for a walkable neighborhood sort of near Hartford, consider the Black Rock neighborhood of Bridgeport. Yes, Bridgeport has its problems (high crime, corrupt local government, high taxes) but you can live right on the Long Island Sound and be close to the Metro North commuter rail and Amtrak for a fraction of the price of other communities in the New York-metro area.

My dad lives in Black Rock and while I am probably the first person to describe Bridgeport this way, it is a little slice of paradise. It is a compact, walkable, community right on the water and is an hour from NYC by train. My dad's house is a 10 minute walk from a small beach where we take our son to build sand castles and a 15 minute walk from Aspetuck Brew Lab (they have some great sour beers and IPAs). There is also a nice walking path around the ocean and wetlands (Saint Marys) and a good local cafe, Harborview Market. If you like fishing, you can catch bluefish and striped bass right off the coast. I hope to do so from my kayak at some point.

Closer to Hartford, the Naugatuck Valley, north of New Haven looked nice. We drove through it on a nice fall day last year to pick up dumbbells.

I have yet to visit but there is a new food hall in Hartford, Parkview Market, that opened in the last year or two. Once we get beyond COVID, I hope to watch a UVM - Hartford basketball game and go to the market and make a nice day out of it.

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Apr 28, 2021 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:18 AM

Here is a photo of the beach I mentioned.

Harborview Market (image courtesy of Connecticut Magazine).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:24 AM

There are also a lot of new condos that have been built in the last 1 - 3 years immediately next to the Fairfield-Metro Metro North station. This gives you the the ability to be near Black Rock, while being able to walk to commuter rail in a few minutes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:35 AM

It is not urban but a lot of people have been retiring or relocating to the Berkshires. There is good hiking and biking and it is a more affordable alternative to the various Hudson Valley towns.

Another possibility is Providence, Rhode Island. It looks like it is 1 1/2 hours from Hartford. Providence has great food, an incredible art museum, and is close to Boston.

Here are some photos I took a couple of years ago: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show....php?p=8788655 .

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:43 PM

Thanks for the information!

Thanks to everyone for the information. We are trying to keep an open mind about our potential move. I currently live on the extreme outskirts of the Nashville metropolitan area. The growth in middle Tennessee over the last 10 years has been nothing short of astonishing. All of the major interstate corridors from central Nashville have been developing rapidly in every direction. This growth extends out for about 60 miles from downtown ( my estimate ) and new housing stock is plentiful but in high demand. Prices have skyrocketed but taxes are relatively low which is the major source of Nashville’s growth. I see virtually no new housing stock in the Hartford area which surprises me. I have never been to New England but I am sure it is like every place else in the sense there are good areas and bad areas and it is basically what you make it yourself. Sounds like we will be starting out by looking into West Hartford and branching out from there. We are open to being within an hour or so from Hartford so I am also captivated by New Haven suggestions. Well this is going too long. Thanks again.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hartford...didn't they used to have an NHL hockey team (Whalers)?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Hartford...didn't they used to have an NHL hockey team (Whalers)?
Yep, they started in '72 as a WHA team based in Boston called the "New England Whalers".

They moved to Hartford in '74 and changed their name to their new home city.

In '79 they joined the NHL in the big league merger, and they continued playing in Hartford until '97 when they moved down to Raleigh and became the "Carolina Hurricanes".

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:03 PM

There is a collective vision going on that is beginning to gain some traction.

It's called Hartford 400, which is based on the city's birthday in 2035.

https://hartford400.org/

Here is a video that gives an overview

https://youtu.be/HRU3zimAC3o

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:17 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
There is a collective vision going on that is beginning to gain some traction.

It's called Hartford 400, which is based on the city's birthday in 2035.

https://hartford400.org/

Here is a video that gives an overview

https://youtu.be/HRU3zimAC3o
I really hope the freeway realignments come to fruition. I don't know what the plan is but it seems to me that I-91 and I-84 can just be destroyed through downtown.
I-84 can be rerouted via route 9/I-91/15.
The I-91 bit through downtown can be demolished and I-91 can follow rt15 across the river, then I-291. It would be a bit circuitous, but who cares.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanonthewall View Post
Thanks to everyone for the information. We are trying to keep an open mind about our potential move. I currently live on the extreme outskirts of the Nashville metropolitan area. The growth in middle Tennessee over the last 10 years has been nothing short of astonishing. All of the major interstate corridors from central Nashville have been developing rapidly in every direction. This growth extends out for about 60 miles from downtown ( my estimate ) and new housing stock is plentiful but in high demand. Prices have skyrocketed but taxes are relatively low which is the major source of Nashville’s growth. I see virtually no new housing stock in the Hartford area which surprises me. I have never been to New England but I am sure it is like every place else in the sense there are good areas and bad areas and it is basically what you make it yourself. Sounds like we will be starting out by looking into West Hartford and branching out from there. We are open to being within an hour or so from Hartford so I am also captivated by New Haven suggestions. Well this is going too long. Thanks again.
I don't know Hartford well so I'll let the others comment, but I will say, what I think you'll find as fun if you've never lived in this part of the country is how close everything is, especially as a newcomer.

A lot of us take it for granted, but basically you're gonna be 1.5 hours from Boston, 1.5 hours from NYC, 1 hour from Providence, and probably 45 minutes from a significant body of water (Long Island Sound). In the time you could be in Atlanta from Nashville you could be in Philadelphia or even close to Montreal. Lots to see. Beautiful beach and mountain towns within driving distance, ranging from Newport RI and Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Maine to Hudson NY to the Adirondacks skiing in Vermont and New Hampshire etc.

Even if you don't stay forever will be a fun diversion for 5 or 6 years.

Good luck!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions