HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Did anyone else notice in that video, that there is only one of the one rincon hill twin towers constructed. Did the shorter one get completely canceled? Did I miss something
As far as I know, it's just on hold, due to the tough economic times.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:25 AM
BANNED

Contextual massing for TransBay block 8 (et. al.)--and it has the second ORH tower:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:41 AM
Green Berniecrat

I'm glad to hear more about block 8, especially with the way things are going right now. However, I can't help but feeling somewhat disappointed at some of the heights depicted in that plan, as well as some of the density. It just leaves a lot to be desired. Good thing it's too soon to say for sure.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Contextual massing for TransBay block 8 (et. al.)--and it has the second ORH tower:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments
The second ORH Tower does appear in several instances of the Steelblue videos. The most recent of three Steelblue videos was taken offline. Notice the tall building just west (to the left) of the 50 First Street site (the second tallest building after the Transbay Transit Tower, also the former Piano Towers site). There has been very little discussion about that site over the past few years, but it has been shown it to be an opportunity site in the past. It sits within the 800' zone in the 1000' Transbay Tower scheme.

From San Francisco Planning:

Last edited by SFView; Mar 19, 2009 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:14 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
And the Californian, 45 Lansing, the other Fremont St buildings around the Californian, the two Howard St towers, the big Fremont St tower south of Millennium and every other building we've ever discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Notice the tall building just west (to the left) of the 50 First Street site (the second tallest building after the Transbay Transit Tower, also the former Piano Towers site). There has been very little discussion about that site over the past few years, but it has been shown it to be an opportunity site in the past. It sits within the 800' zone in the 1000' Transbay Tower scheme.
This appears to break up the Piano site into two pieces: the tower you pointed out and the shorter bulkier one to the west. I think I also spy 350 and 535 Mission between the cracks in there.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
...This appears to break up the Piano site into two pieces: the tower you pointed out and the shorter bulkier one to the west...
I believe that the Piano site is/was entirely east of Ecker Pl - that short alley perpendicular to Mission. You can see all the Piano towers bunch into the area bounded by Mission, Ecker Pl. and 1st Street in these models. Note that two 1200' Piano towers where shortened to match the height of two other 900' towers to help reduce distraction from SOM's Transbay competition submission:

This early rendering shows a separate single 1000' tower for 50 first street, before Piano split the concept into 5 separate towers, and another 550' tower north of Ecker on Mission. The new Steelblue rendering shows single towers in about the same locations. I believe this rendering depict two separate development sites.
From San Francisco Planning:

My apologies to those who wish not to remember SOM's design loosing to Pelli's.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:39 PM
Green Berniecrat

Aww SFView, I had just now gotten over SOM's defeat

Either way, the details on what's going on seem pretty scarce, and I haven't taken a look at the temporary terminal site in over two months. Regarding the Piano site, I'm still a little confused on whats going on there. Is this entire proposal dead or just in troubled waters?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I see now. That bulkier tower replaces the Golden Gate University building. I had it in my head (despite what my eyes should have been telling me) that it was sitting on the part of the Piano site that is already cleared. That's one proposal in the massing guide I'm not familiar with.

Rem - IIRC, the Piano site is for sale and the bamboo shoots vision he had for it is pretty much dead. That's unfortunate, but I wouldn't really mind if someone just bought the vacant piece of land and built something modest. The existing buildings on that site don't bother me at all but the fenced off lot sure does.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 11:20 PM

Wow very nice project i have to go back to San Francisco very soon i miss it alot

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 6:36 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Wow very nice project i have to go back to San Francisco very soon i miss it alto
Yes, most of us were thrilled with that project, but it was not selected from among the three surviving proposals and will not be built. It would have been stunningly beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 6:38 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Rem - IIRC, the Piano site is for sale and the bamboo shoots vision he had for it is pretty much dead. That's unfortunate, but I wouldn't really mind if someone just bought the vacant piece of land and built something modest. The existing buildings on that site don't bother me at all but the fenced off lot sure does.
Ah, I think I remember reading something about that a while back, I wasn't sure it pertained to this particular proposal though. It's very unfortunate that this one had to go the way of the dodo. It may or may not have been a good thing that we never saw any official renderings. It's good because at least this way we don't know what we're missing (unlike SOM ), but at the same time, it's sad to imagine what could have been.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 4:08 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Ah, I think I remember reading something about that a while back, I wasn't sure it pertained to this particular proposal though. It's very unfortunate that this one had to go the way of the dodo. It may or may not have been a good thing that we never saw any official renderings. It's good because at least this way we don't know what we're missing (unlike SOM ), but at the same time, it's sad to imagine what could have been.
Hey Rem...so why do you keep it and other non-risers in your signature line? We have to let go of those that are dead and move on, even though it's very disappointing. Ultimately, I think it's better to be realistic about San Francisco and what the actual possibilities for growth, design and development are here (and everywhere in this economic environment).

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 4:24 PM

I thought you San Franciscans might like to see this slide from 1969.

I don't know if the Transit Center area differs much from 1969 but I thought it was interesting never the less.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 4:36 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I thought you San Franciscans might like to see this slide from 1969. I don't know if the Transit Center area differs much from 1969 but I thought it was interesting never the less. Is the double decked highway running along the top of the photograph the Embarcadero Freeway? Does any of that section exist any more?
WOW--way cool--thanks for sharing. It definitely brings back memories and there are many, many changes that have been made since then.

Yes, that was the Embarcadero Freeway as it looped around off the freeway from the Bay Bridge and then turned north to run along The Embarcadero. No, most fortunately, none of it remains today. It was often referred to as San Francisco's Berlin Wall. A few of the bus ramps into and out of the Transbay Terminal are still there, but that's been changing rapidly too. In place of the old Embarcadero Freeway exit, there's a new short one that was recently completed for Fremont Street. The western suspension span of the Bay Bridge and all of the remaining freeways on this side have now been either rebuilt or seismically retrofitted. It was a very long, complicated project that just ended this month.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 6:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for finding and posting that. I love historical shots and that's a time period I don't see very often. Love it!

Like viewguy said, many changes around there, especially along the southern side of Market. A good chunk of what's visible in this shot along that side of Market has been replaced. It's also interesting to see the Shell Building and what's now the USBank building stand out so much. Both are now buried in a sea of other buildings. Really brings home how much was built in the 70's and 80's.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 8:42 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Hey Rem...so why do you keep it and other non-risers in your signature line? We have to let go of those that are dead and move on, even though it's very disappointing. Ultimately, I think it's better to be realistic about San Francisco and what the actual possibilities for growth, design and development are here (and everywhere in this economic environment).
Oh, it's no hard feelings (although it's a shame). I've been saying for months now that I'm going to change it, but ultimately I don't. This I can't blame on anything else except pure laziness (which I'm not particularly proud of). Now that I'm on spring break though, I should get around that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 8:46 PM
Green Berniecrat

That's an incredible picture. I usually like looking at historical photos myself, but pictures of San Francisco like this I especially like because they show me how the city looked like before I arrived in it. The Embarcadero hung on there for a couple of years after I was born, but I was way too young to remember how it looked like. Thanks for sharing it!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 10:44 PM

Glad you guys liked the photo.
Your messages are very much appreciated.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 21, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:25 AM

It's great to see San Francisco in 1969. That is a beautiful photograph of San Francisco in the midst of a dramatic change with the near completion of the then called Bank of America Building. How about what San Francisco may be like 50 years or so after that?

Until we get more updates from Steelblue, here are some screen grabs from the Transbay Transit Center video from http://vimeo.com/3021119. The second ORH tower appears, but 50 First St., the tower just west of it, and the Palace Hotel tower are not shown.

Last edited by SFView; Mar 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:07 PM

The video CUCa mentioned is online again, http://www.vimeo.com/3589710, without the need for password.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development