Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
2010 numbers:

New Haven:
35% black, 32% White Anglo, 27% Latino, 5% Asian
Median family income: $47,300

Hartford:
43% Latino, 39% black, 16% White Anglo, 3% Asian
Median family income: $32,800

Hartford has a far smaller white population, and it's a far poorer city. You are right it's almost entirely attributable to Yale - but college towns in general are considered attractive places to live due to the local amenities they provide.
The problem with these statistics is that it includes only about 18 square miles of inner city neighborhoods. There are some very affluent neighborhoods within 2 miles of downtown (Hartford) that are not included in these statistics because they are in West Hartford.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:40 PM

Right, apples-apples they're pretty similar. It's just that the wealthier in-town Hartford neighborhoods aren't in Hartford.

Also, I'd still say their city limits-specific demographic profile is pretty similar. CT is, by many measures, the wealthiest U.S. state, and is also quite white, so any CT city that is majority nonwhite and with low incomes is broadly similar.

Like in the grand scheme of things, Norwalk is more like Bridgeport than like New Canaan, even though Norwalk is significantly wealthier and whiter than Bridgeport. It's a bit crass and an overgeneralization, but CT towns tend to be either wealthy/white, or the places where the people who serve those wealthy/white communities live.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The problem with these statistics is that it includes only about 18 square miles of inner city neighborhoods. There are some very affluent neighborhoods within 2 miles of downtown (Hartford) that are not included in these statistics because they are in West Hartford.
I'm sorry, but I just feel this argument falls flat. This is one block from downtown West Hartford. This is not urban - it's suburban. It just has what for all intents and purposes is a lifestyle center nearby.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 12:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, the coast is definitely far more desirable. But it's also multiples more expensive.

It's kinda like having a discussion of CA's Inland Empire, and mentioning "on the whole, I'd rather be in Pacific Palisades". Well, yeah.
I think it's to a much lesser degree. A house in Pacific palisades will run you about $5-10 million. All those small coastal towns along 95, MNR, Amtrak in CT have a variety of options that won't cost an arm and a leg.

First coastal house I selected in Groton CT (New London) is listed at 445,000.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...58055047_zpid/

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
I think it's to a much lesser degree. A house in Pacific palisades will run you about $5-10 million. All those small coastal towns along 95, MNR, Amtrak in CT have a variety of options that won't cost an arm and a leg.

First coastal house I selected in Groton CT (New London) is listed at 445,000.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...58055047_zpid/
I'm talking metro areas. New London isn't in the NY metro and is a dumpy small town with bad schools. Coastal CT usually refers to the wealthy finance residential corridor in Fairfield County and the quaint towns east of New Haven. Places like Darien and Madison, not New London.

New London would be like Eureka, CA. Technically coastal, and with a certain charm, but not at all what we're talking about.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 5:20 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

In an era of remote work , I could see New London booming. On the train, so if you need to be in New York every once in a while, its easy.

lots of historic housing stock

already close to tourist towns like Mystic

right on the water

etc

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3534...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Thanks for posting this pic.

This is a relatively affluent neighborhood. It is a mature neighborhood with easy walking distance to several of the best restaurants and cafes in the region. This is 3.5 miles to the core of downtown, but not in the city limits.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 8:52 PM

Since we're talking about coastal CT neighborhoods on a budget, I need to talk more about the Eastern Shore/Morris Cove part of New Haven. I used to ride my bike down that way a lot when I lived in New Haven in the early 2000s. It's not really urban or walkable, but it's somewhat densely packed in that New England shore neighborhood way. You can buy a home less than a block from the shore for only $250,000. Schools/taxes are a bit of an issue, but it's a very low crime part of the city.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 12:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm talking metro areas. New London isn't in the NY metro and is a dumpy small town with bad schools. Coastal CT usually refers to the wealthy finance residential corridor in Fairfield County and the quaint towns east of New Haven. Places like Darien and Madison, not New London.

New London would be like Eureka, CA. Technically coastal, and with a certain charm, but not at all what we're talking about.
Oh ok, I didn't know we were only talking about wealthy finance residential corridor neighborhoods of CT. I wasn't talking about that when I said I would prefer to live along the MNR, 95, Amtrak corridor of CT near the coast.

I set the zillow filter at max price 500k and there are tons of housing options in the western half of coastal CT towns as well. There are 1455 listings in Fairfield County, max price 500k, with a minimum of 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 5:06 PM

Stonington, CT is a cool little town just east of New London.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions