HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:01 AM
Chicago

120 N Willard

June 28, 2022

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:02 AM
Chicago

Chicago Guinness Taproom - 375 N Morgan

June 28, 2022

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:56 AM

New construction permit was issued on Wednesday for a new 6 story mixed use building at 1800 W Berenice a few blocks south of the Irving Park Brown Line stop - between Metra tracks and those tracks (oof). It'll have 44 total units and have 2 floors of commercial space. Total height of 80 feet.

It replaces a 1 story building which was Strawdog Theatre Company so this is a nice height bump. The building across the street (residential too I think) is 5 stories tall:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/18...!4d-87.6743893

via https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/03/zon...th-center.html

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 3:18 AM

43rd & Calumet

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 3:49 AM
BANNED

^ need these all over the south and west sides to recover lost of density over the decades

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:07 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
43rd & Calumet

Hah I just past by that yesterday on the Green Line (usually I take the Metra Electric to work but yesterday I was going to miss my train and didn't want to wait for the next one) and was thinking I should have taken a picture.

There's actually quite a lot of small-scale construction going on in that area, which is nice to see.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:53 PM

70 unit senior building planned for 53rd & Calumet over in Washington Park: https://homeseniors.org/projects-in-the-works

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:07 AM
1st Ward

I dig the extra connections to Northerly Island. The pedestrian bridge at Waldron Dr would definitely help improve accessibility to the lakefront. Moving the amphitheater further west to the Soldier Field north lawn would help centralize attractions as well as turn the north end of Northerly Island into a park instead of a sea of parking as it is now. The relocated Huntington Bank Pavilion could use Soldier Field's underground parking instead.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
In the Sun-Times article there is mention of bringing gondolas back to make a connection from downtown to the campus. While gimmicky I'm starting to like this idea. As serene and appealing as the campus is it is often regarded as to far removed from downtown to easily get to. Even if you had express direct from downtown to the campus I feel the service would be lost on tourist and even the downtown set. Spruced-up gondolas can be made to feel more like exclusive VIP cars with views that get there to the campus in 10 minutes.
I wonder about these gondolas in winter? Granted gondolas are used at ski resorts so it's not their operation in winter conditions that has me questioning them (though they can be shut down during windy conditions and obviously it's not unusual for icy winds blowing in off the partially frozen lake throughout winter), it's whether they could have heating in the winter? If it were me, I'd rather sit in a heated bus between downtown and the Museum Campus in winter than sit in an icy cold gondola.

Quote:
The Disney hotel and turning Burnham harbor into parking are insane however. I don't know of those suggestions are just low-grade trolling or what.
Walt Disney was born in and spent his early childhood in Chicago. Doesn't seem like there's been much capitalization of this link, so I think it might be interesting to have a Disney themed hotel as a tourist draw. I suspect Midwestern tourists, some of whom might find it too costly to take their families to FL and pay the high entry fees for the parks, might enjoy the Disney experience closer to home.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

In the Sun-Times article, there is mention of bringing gondolas back to make a connection from downtown to the campus. While gimmicky I'm starting to like this idea. As serene and appealing as the campus it is too far removed from downtown for many folks. Even if you had express direct from downtown to the campus I feel the service is lost on tourists and even the downtown set. Spruced-up gondolas can be made to feel more like exclusive VIP cars with views that get to the campus in 10 minutes.

In retrospect, the museums should have been lined along Michigan Avenue and over the IC tracks. A museum row like the AI so downtowners could just stroll across the street after work and get there easily via PT. With Grant Park on their east front, the vistas of the Museums would have still been spectacular. That ship has long passed......

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...n-heights-move

An Excel spreadsheet shared with the Sun-Times and considered by the working group has plenty of other ideas:

• Aerial gondolas and/or a monorail using clean energy.
• Transforming Solidarity Drive into a pedestrian plaza.

The Disney hotel and turning Burnham harbor into parking are insane however. I don't know of those suggestions are just low-grade trolling or what.
The Sun-Times list is mostly from the brainstorming ideas. (And brainstorming always includes the outlandish stuff)

The actual report is quite realistic. (So free museum campus shuttles instead of gondolas)

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...pus-Report.pdf

Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 8:31 PM

732 W Randolph

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 9:22 PM

Landmarks backs review of Century and Consumer Buildings

Quote:
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks has passed a resolution to formally review the Century and Consumer Buildings at 202 S. State and 220 S. State. Located at the corner of W. Adams St and S. State St, the unanimously approved resolution may lead to a potential landmarking of the towers, teeing up a standoff between the City of Chicago and the federal government.
If Google ends up taking over the Thompson Center and the government offices currently there need to move elsewhere, could they move into these buildings?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 9:35 PM
TL;DR

Anything is possible I guess, but this would leave the state with a pretty scattered footprint across the Loop and West Loop. Also, state offices in those buildings would not address the Feds' (overblown) security concerns, so the Feds would have to eat crow.

I like the plan put forth by Preservation Chicago to turn the buildings into an archive center. Lower construction cost, and it treats the security issue as legitimate so the Federal guys can save face.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 9:02 AM

https://www.wbez.org/stories/proposa...5-b97c49d79b34

New proposal seeks to attract jobs and housing around CTA bus stops and L stations
The proposed ordinance aims to draw investment near transit on Chicago’s South and West sides and stave off gentrification on the North Side.

By Natalie Moore
Monday, July 11, 6 a.m. CT

Quote:
Ninety percent of new projects around Chicago transit stations have been located on the North Side or West Loop with little activity around stops on the South and West sides. So the city is taking another step to stave off gentrification and segregation to better serve communities near public transportation.

A proposed ordinance called Connecting Communities is before the city council, and it seeks to extend incentives for jobs and housing around bus stops and L stations. The overall policy is known as Transit-Oriented Development, or TOD, which places requirements on developments near CTA stops in an effort to make neighborhoods more vibrant, increase density and reduce parking spots.

City officials and transit advocates have been working for years to use a racial equity lens to give incentives to develop precious land near transit. They’ve coined this approach as “equitable transit-oriented development” or eTOD. While transit stops on the North Side have helped to lure development and that interest has helped spark increases in property values and rents, things have remained relatively stagnant in the city’s communities of color. In the proposed ordinance, a number of small but mighty policy changes are on the table such as ending the ban on three-flats near transit in high-cost neighborhoods.

Quote:
In addition, the ordinance would prevent tearing down two- and three-flat buildings in high-cost TOD areas to convert into single-family luxurious housing without a zoning change.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://www.wbez.org/stories/proposa...5-b97c49d79b34

In addition, the ordinance would prevent tearing down two- and three-flat buildings in high-cost TOD areas to convert into single-family luxurious housing without a zoning change.
will non-luxurious single family housing be allowed with this new ordinance?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Lol at BEZ and its leftist bias. I can't listen to it anymore. It's all race baiting all the time now. White people talking about "latinx" and "poc" all the time.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Yes, let's all get triggered by a single word instead of celebrating how positive these propsed changes could be for furthering the cause of urbanism in our often ass-backwards city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
It's a valid point about today's media. On the other hand, it seems safe to assume that someone buying a multi-unit building in a "high-cost TOD area" and tearing it down to build a brand new SFH is pretty wealthy. This has been in the examples I've seen in the city over the past 15 years.

$500k+ for the existing multi-unit building, another $50k+ to tear down, and another $450k+ to build the new home.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Since you brought it up here, you must have some examples in mind where an existing three flat was purchased, torn down and replaced with a SFH lacking high end finishes?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
here are the details of the new ETOD ordinance. And yes there will be some bans on SFHs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

- Pretty much every major bus route now counts as a TOD district, and CTA/Metra stations have their TOD boundaries extended to 1/2 mile

- TOD projects in Inclusionary Housing Areas (IHA), areas of the city that need more affordable housing, can now get FAR bonuses for every parking spot they remove. So if a parking space takes up ~ 320 sqft, developments can increase their FAR by 320 sqft X #of removed spots. This means something with a DX zoning can increase their FAR by up to 2-3!

- Projects in IHAs that have on-site ARO units can now force a vote from the Zoning Committee and City Council if their project hasn't been approved within 6 months of submitting their zoning app. This should mean developments could score approvals without needing the local alderperson. Would be interesting to see how effective this is in places like Lincoln Park and Jefferson Park.

- RS zoning that's in IHAs and near transit now allows three-flats as-of-right. SFHs are banned in RT & RM, two-flats are banned in RM. This basically opens a huge chunk of the North, Northwest, and Southwest Side to apartments. Lol someone could now tear down a mansion in Norwood Park, build 12 units on that giant lot, and piss off all the neighbors

Map of IHAs: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...munity_Map.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development